Point of use water heaters

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

mikefido
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 15 09:41

Point of use water heaters

Or schools are riddled with Ariston Andris Lux water heaters.
They seem to last to just past the guarantee before starting to leak!
One morning last week we came into this - it's the worst yet they normally just start dripping rusty water.
Ariston Andris Lux.jpg
So the question is what do you have in your school and would you recommend them?
Ours are mainly 10 or 15 ltrs in size and 2 or 3 kw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 09:58

Re: Point of use water heaters

We have the same in half of our school and to be honest yes they don't last forever but I've some that have been in over 12 years, nice and cheap to replace so I just stick with the same.......never had one do that though, bet that was fun.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 10:00

Same here. We’ve got about a dozen and seem to replace one a year
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 12:09

We have heatrae sadia units. I would recommend you go over to them. Ours are at least 15years+. The common fault we have is blown elements and diaphragms that need replacing. We are having them all replaced this year by the LA. Im hoping they are the same make and not some cheap tat.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 14:41

We have them in our nursery and to be honest they are fairly reliable, just make sure the dial is on the E setting. last one we had leak was after the cleaner helpfully left it on Max because she wanted HOT water instead of the usual 65 degrees! [Neutral.png]

If they do go faulty they are cheap to replace so never bother to repair them.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 17:04

We have POU throughout the school. Now have two failed, under wash basins, so a nightmare to change- suggestion is to mount like your picture- £1200 each!! but at least easy to replace in the future.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 17:22

twiglets wrote: 15th Apr 2024 at 5:04pm We have POU throughout the school. Now have two failed, under wash basins, so a nightmare to change- suggestion is to mount like your picture- £1200 each!! but at least easy to replace in the future.
Get more quotes.. That is a very large sum even for moving locations, Its 2 hours work tops plus some fittings and pipe.
I buy, do the mechanical and plumbing work required to swap them then get the electrician to come along fit and test.

In the past it has taken me about 1/2 an hour to swop them over and 15 - 20 minutes for the electrician.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 16 09:53

Vera wrote: 15th Apr 2024 at 5:22pm Get more quotes.. That is a very large sum even for moving locations, Its 2 hours work tops plus some fittings and pipe.
I buy, do the mechanical and plumbing work required to swap them then get the electrician to come along fit and test.

In the past it has taken me about 1/2 an hour to swop them over and 15 - 20 minutes for the electrician.
I'd be doing that as well, £2400 to source, and install 2 water heaters? Was the guy quoting wearing a mask and riding a horse!?

Just go to your local wholesaler, get a couple (or 3 and have a spare - still be cheaper than 1200!) Mount and plumb them in, and then get the spark to connect up like Vera says.

£1200 each - can clearly afford to lose work!
The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 16 14:27

We have mostly Heatrae Sadia also. Some of ours that are now failing after a solid 10/15 years are getting replaced with Hyco units as like for like they are cheaper. You could try them.
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 17 08:47

That normally happens if there is not an expansion vessel on the inlet. I have had to replace one of mine to the newer type after 14yrs as the same thing happened here except it wasn't quite as bad as that, and I kept resetting the trip switch as the tank expands and contracts and where it had rapidly cooled down it caused it to leak so resetting the switch helped until the switch gave up the ghost, then I replaced it with a newer one. Mine are 30 litre ones which serve 6 sinks in kids toilets, and 2 sinks in 2 staff toilets. Another one serves 4 infant classrooms and another serves a preschool room and a nurture room.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. [Success.png]