£500 to build a tool kit geared towards compliance

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 18:13

Re: £500 to build a tool kit geared towards compliance

OXSET wrote: 7th May 2024 at 11:39am You have £500 to spend to build a tool and equipment kit FROM SCRATCH - Geared mainly towards compliance checks and potential remedials.

So far I have
Drill (possibly 2 pack depending on brand)
Generic hand tool set (Vaunt do a good set on ITS)
WD40, 3-in-1 oil, etc.
Cable tie assortment
Fire Extinguisher tamper tags
Thermometers for water checks
Allan key set
Tool bag / organisers
socket set
Adjustable wrenches
Pipe wrench
Mole Grips
Various sticky tapes ie. electrical, gaffer etc.
Screw pack
Nut and bolt pack with washers

What else? I will edit this as people add things.
WD40, 3-in-1 oil, etc.
Cable tie assortment
Allan key set
Tool bag / organisers
socket set
Adjustable wrenches
Pipe wrench
Mole Grips
Screw pack
Call point key set
Emergency LIght / Secret switch key
Stanley Knife
Barrier tape
Deep Sockets
Screwdriver bit set
Drill bit set
Level
Junior Hacksaw
Saw
Wall plugs
Socket tester
Voltage Pen

Bold is edited list SO FAR (I just bought all of this from screwfix / amazon for a tad under £500. The drills are Erbuaer ones, used em before and they'll do the job here. 5ah batteries and only £145. DECENT

I'm gonna need a bigger toolbox...
Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 19:58

OXSET wrote: 7th May 2024 at 11:39am You have £500 to spend to build a tool and equipment kit FROM SCRATCH - Geared mainly towards compliance checks and potential remedials.

So far I have
WD40, 3-in-1 oil, etc.
Cable tie assortment
Allan key set
Tool bag / organisers
socket set
Adjustable wrenches
Pipe wrench
Mole Grips
Screw pack

What else? I will edit this as people add things.
My bold - speak to whoever does your fire extinguisher service. My bloke gives me a slack handful of white ones in case any are ‘accidentally’ snapped off
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 21:53

Interesting about the fire extinguisher tamper tags. Are you trained in extinguisher inspection/maintenance?
I too have a bunch of tags but have no formal training. In our setting it would be pretty hard for a student to set one off without someone noticing.
My last school we used to call out the contractors every time a tag was missing, but I think it was about 90 quid a go. I would spend an absolute fortune if I did it at my place.

So I do replace them myself but always feel I probably shouldn't.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 08 07:06

OXSET wrote: 7th May 2024 at 6:10pm Haha, schools can buy that one themselves, this is a kit for the boot of my car when I go around and do compliance work, PPM and periodic stuff.
aaaahhhhhhh i thought this was a hypothetical question. lol
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 08 07:39

JonOfham wrote: 7th May 2024 at 9:53pm Interesting about the fire extinguisher tamper tags. Are you trained in extinguisher inspection/maintenance?
I too have a bunch of tags but have no formal training. In our setting it would be pretty hard for a student to set one off without someone noticing.
My last school we used to call out the contractors every time a tag was missing, but I think it was about 90 quid a go. I would spend an absolute fortune if I did it at my place.

Ive always worried about this..
I have tags of a different colour so the engineer who services them knows they were tampered with at some point.
However I will only re tag IF I can be very sure the extinguisher wasn't set off at any point. Otherwise we would call the engineer to re service the extinguisher.

Problem is if you ask the guy he will always say get them serviced if the tag comes off (because he makes money from it).
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
stunnn
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 08 13:47

I take it you already have:

Gloves
Safety Glasses
Ear defense
Dust mask
Toe cap boots

Possibly:
Hard hat / Bump Cap
Ladders
Fall arrest harness
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 08:09

Dunroamin wrote: 7th May 2024 at 7:58pm My bold - speak to whoever does your fire extinguisher service. My bloke gives me a slack handful of white ones in case any are ‘accidentally’ snapped off
Good shout - I do that in my own site. They're about a tenner on amazon for 100 tags.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 08:13

JonOfham wrote: 7th May 2024 at 9:53pm Interesting about the fire extinguisher tamper tags. Are you trained in extinguisher inspection/maintenance?

I have no formal training, the only maintenance so to speak someone like me can do is to replace pins and tamper seals, nothing that really affects the operation of the extinguisher. I've checked with a few different firms over the years and they have all said the same. Any more than popping those on and you open yourself up to liability. I dab a dot of tipex on the tab to identify ones replaced.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 11:06

OXSET wrote: 9th May 2024 at 8:13am I have no formal training, the only maintenance so to speak someone like me can do is to replace pins and tamper seals, nothing that really affects the operation of the extinguisher. I've checked with a few different firms over the years and they have all said the same. Any more than popping those on and you open yourself up to liability. I dab a dot of tipex on the tab to identify ones replaced.
How do you know it hasn't been set off then?
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 09 13:36

Nail wrote: 9th May 2024 at 11:06am How do you know it hasn't been set off then?
By checking it and where the pressure gauge was from the previous check if something isn't right it gets recorded and sorted. Contractor still comes and does annual service, weighing, o-ring and seal replacements.