Skybox to freesat

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, cable, Sky, Virgin Media, iplayer, Amazon, Netflix, Rakuten...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 18 20:34

Skybox to freesat

Well, to quote The Grateful Dead "What a long strange trip it's been"
Back in April Mrs Trout decided that Sky was too expensive so she cancelled it and went with BT TV. She went with a 3 TV package. Well only one TV worked and after many calls, engineers out and a 2 and 1/2 hour chat today they threw in the towel and it is now cancelled. My question is.....
1 I still have the sky boxes and dish.
2 can I use them to get freesat
3 how do I do that?
Any advice will be much appreciated.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 18 21:37

Re: Skybox to freesat

The dish will be fine for freesat.

You can (for a £20 fee) get a Freesat from Sky card. This will let you see the unencrypted channels. But don't be mistaken 'Freesat for Sky' Is not the same as 'Freesat'. You'll not be able to use the box for recording unless you pay Sky a fee (£10 a month I think). According to that site, HD channels are not available on a Freesat from Sky card but that might be old info.

Personally, I'd buy a proper Freesat box. You will be able to get one with a hard drive to record programmes (The new box is due any day soon and the old Humax boxes are out of stock). But the recordings are yours to keep, unlike Sky.

They do currently have a 4K Freesat box, but it is only Youtube, Netflix etc that shows 4K content and it is a bit expensive. They do one with a hard drive and one without.

If you go Freesat, there is no contract, no strings. You may need to have an independent dish installer replace your satellite dish when it rusts off the wall (as those Mesh dishes from Sky will eventually do).

Sky is a bit of a con. There are something like 160+ channels that are not encrypted and are free to air. Something Sky doesn't like to inform you when you are buying their packages. They are basically charging people for channels that are free anyway.

There are also free to air channels that are not included on Freesat. Basically, Freesat is an EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) and the TV channels pay to have their channels listed on it. If you are a bit tech minded, you can also go down the Enigma2 route. Lots of choice in boxes and even more channels. Channel 4 don't have an HD channel on Freesat, they fell out. FreeSports HD have also recently pulled out. But if you have an Enigma box, you can get all the Freesat channels plus all the others which are free to watch that arn't on the EPG.
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/sa ... -receivers
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 18 21:58

I don't have all the channels on my box as I don't want non-English Speaking channels, Slapper on a Sofa Channels or most Religious channels. I do have all the BBC and ITV regions.

But this is my personally made Bouquet:
Export Bouquets.xlsx
That's 273 channels including radio.

Happy to offer any help you needed if you went Enigma2.

If you want all the technical stuff:
Full Export Bouquets.xlsx

For a full list of all the free to air channels available, they are the white ones listed on this page (the green ones are encrypted and are specific to Sky): https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Truth Without Fear)

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 19 10:41

This is interesting and food for thought, living off a pension the £50 plus per month for Sky is a tolerable but expendable luxury I'm beginning to think.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it… -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 19 11:07

Unless you are an ardent sports fan, much Sky's content like films can be watched much cheaper through streaming providers these days. Sport is the main reason folk cling on to Sky. But then you might also need a subscription to BT Sports too.

I used to have Sky (until my set top box caught fire). I used to enjoy the History Channel, Discovery etc. But they went right off track showing programmes like American Pickers which I don't consider to be proper History.

Thankfully, I am not a sports fan and there aren't many films I consider worth watching these days. I do have Amazon Prime and I pay for Britbox which I enjoy for the 'British' programmes (call me sad). I do find too much of Amazon Prime (and Netflix) to be US made and although my grown up kids enjoy it, much of it I find dreadful. Can't beat British comedy either. But that is just me.

I often sit listening to my son watching US comedy shows (like Big Bang Theory and The Goldbergs) and the canned laughter drives me nuts.
(Truth Without Fear)

Duncan
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 20 08:02

I have freesat at home.
Its easy to put the dish up check neighbours to get roughly same direction and angle, there are loads of info on the net how to do it very easy.
As said above Humax are not making the boxes anymore its a company called arris i have the recordable 4k one and a standard Humax recordable box both with twin tuners for recording purposes. To be able to have boxes in different rooms in the house and to have record functions you have to make sure at the end of the sky dish there is a quad LNB, this enables 2 feeds to one and 2 feeds to the other box for recording.
Also with Sky charging being rather expensive you can also see a friend or relative and say purchase netflix together the hd costs £12 i think for 4 devices works out £6 a month.
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2020 20 09:24

This is all most interesting..

I currently have Virgin but the cost is eye watering and the broadband mediocre at best..

Was thinking about changing but didn't really want to go back to sky as their service is pants.

Might have to look into the freesat options as I still have a dish tucked into the back of the chimney on the roof.
I don't have movie channels and I don't have the sky sports channels either so sometimes I wonder why I'm paying so much.. -Shock.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-