Southern Water in court again

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, cable, Sky, Virgin Media, iplayer, Amazon, Netflix, Rakuten...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 06 18:31

Southern Water in court again

The case is in relation to 51 environmental offences from 16 Wastewater Treatment Works across the South Coast and 1 Sewer Overflow. The offences span a period of 6 years between the 1st of January 2010 and the 31st of December 2015.

One offence says that Southern Water discharged 9.7 billion litres of untreated sewage at Swalecliffe.

They were fined almost £1.26 million a few years ago when OFWAT took them to court.

How long before they get another company in to supply and deal with our waste water? Down here in the South, we are forced to have water meters (they are not optional like in other regions) and we pay ridiculously high water charges compared to other regions. Apparently, they are likely to be given the biggest fine ever handed out. But we won't know the fine until October. They really should be prevented from operating.

We should all have a choice of water company like you do for electric and gas suppliers.

And I bet customers will end up funding these massive fines anyway.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021- ... raw-sewage

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 06 22:38

Re: Southern Water in court again

Southern Water has to be the worst utility provider in the UK. A perfect case for the nationalization of the utilities.
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 09 21:37

Southern Water fined record £90m for dumping raw sewage,

perhaps if they start putting the directors in jail they may get their act together. -Angry.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 10 10:10

I liked this bit...

The Environment Agency, who brought the landmark criminal case to court following its biggest ever investigation, claimed it was done deliberately for financial gain.

But defence lawyers for the firm insisted the 51 offences were committed due to "negligence".

However Mr Justice Jeremy Johnson disagreed and said: "I am satisfied so that I am sure that each of the offences were committed deliberately."

Greed, nothing but greed... Will £90m stop them in future? That's only 3 or 4 years worth of their top salaried managers. -Angry.png-

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021- ... age-spills

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)