ITV - Jeremy Kyle, Emmerdale, Corry

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, cable, Sky, Virgin Media, iplayer, Amazon, Netflix, Rakuten...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 14 20:26

ITV - Jeremy Kyle, Emmerdale, Corry

I hear on the news that the government want the Jeremy Kyle show taken off the air. I personally find it an extremely distasteful show trying to gain viewer numbers by peoples misery.

But to be truthful, there are a number of recent programmes that try to win viewer numbers by running extreme issues. Take Emmerdale, almost every programme has a warning at the end "If you have been affected by the programme visit our website". Sorry, but that's just not good enough. We have a teacher that has groomed a pupil and is having a relationship with a 16 year old boy. We have the upsetting tale of a terminally ill women who is going to die in the next few episodes, we have a rape victim that the perpetrator is claiming that it was consented and the anguish the victim is suffering. Sorry, visiting a website doesn't cut the mustard.

Long gone are the days when the most exciting storyline was when Amos Brailey shouting at Mr Wilks for running out of mild.

ITV seems to be scraping the barrel for storylines and are resorting to tragic sensationalism by vividly covering 'serious major life issues' that to be honest are not that realistic in such a small village. Yet, if somebody has experienced one of these issues in there own lives, watching them could tip somebody over the edge. We will never know how many people have taken their own life due to an issue shown in a soap.

I'm sure the BBC are equally to blame with Eastenders. But thankfully, my wife doesn't watch that programme so I am not forced to watch it.

I guess you have to ask, Does television reflect real life or is life being affected by television. Knowing my own kids, I know their everyday language has definitely taken a down turn after watching US programmes on Netflix. They seem to try fitting the 'F' word into every sentence. They have also become sensitised by what they view on social media. I was shown something a few weeks ago (off their phone) something that I wouldn't dream of showing my parents when I was young. They think all these videos are perfectly acceptable.

Back to TV, I don't like to use the term myself, but the term 'Sun Reader' seems to fit the kind of audience that ITV in particular seems to try to attract. How low are they prepared to go to gain audience numbers.

ITV has become a soap and cheap game show channel. Looking backwards to how ITV filled the evening schedule, you had World in Action, Survival, This is your life, The World at War, Armchair Theatre, University Challenge, The Krypton Factor (which makes 'Britain's Brightest Family' look like a children's programme) but now we get constant soap.

I love television and the technology behind it, especially satellite television. But even that is filled up with the 'Slapper on a Sofa' channels. Says a lot for what people want to spend their money on. I just hope we are alone in the universe, if their is an alien life picking up our signals, no wonder they have never wanted to visit us. [Big grin.png]

This post was harder than you can imagine to type without saying the 'S' word once. lol

Thank god for BBC Four which still shows some cultural and in depth documentaries. Channel 5 has actually surprised me a few times recently too.

Maybe I'm just getting old. When I was young, we might have had fewer hours of television (and only 4 channels) but the quality was much higher. More isn't necessarily better when talking about television.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 14 21:25

Re: ITV - Jeremy Kyle, Emmerdale, Corry

I agree, but if you haven't seen it before, take a look at The Repair Shop currently running Season 2 on BBC 1 at 4.30pm. They have just come off a long run of Season 4 (brand new).

This is a programme that is excellent if you haven't seen it, they have people who bring their heirlooms down for real craftspeople to repair. It is an absolute delight to watch and many times there seems to a lot of dust in the air as I watch the show. From Twitter, I know that I am not the only one affected by this dust either. Very moving stories for many of the items brought in.

Another feel-good show is Garden Rescue, again BBC 1 in an afternoon currently. I also find Countryfile on a Sunday just disappears. It's an hour long but no sooner does it start then it's the Forecast for the Week Ahead and that's pretty much the final item. A very enjoyable hour on a Sunday evening.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2019 14 21:28

I’ve borderline given up on ‘live’ tv.

Just about everything I watch is streamed (no adverts whoop) Netflix, Amazon or NowTV.

So unless it is a Sci-Fy program or a documentary there’s a high chance I haven’t seen it.

Currently I’m watching a lot of ‘old’ programs.
With TV, I want to be entertained, not depressed, TV should be escapism.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)
Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 22:05

Jeremy Kyle is the archetypal pub bore, appealing to the lowest common denominator of people`s spite & nastiness. I hope the show never returns.

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 15 07:53

The few times that I have rested on that programme when channel hopping, i have always found it the lowest form of broadcasting available. Its obvious the "contestants" are primed beforehand and the audience is too, but from the moments I have witnessed, the lie detector test is the most disturbing, peoples lives/relationships have been decided on a whim of a machine which is at best only advisory.

That a guy has committed suicide based on a test result is not surprising, hopefully this will bring about a Kylegate type backlash against what we perceive to be "Reality" TV which is affect rehearsed and recorded and edited in extreme.

But i'm guilty of succumbing and reacting to the wiles of progs like BGT and TheXFactor, just to laugh at the idiots who think they are good entertainers. Thats pretty low of me really, but I suppose its human nature.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

twiglets
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 15 08:47

agree that many topics appear over the top- needless to say, many story lines have helped the public. What really gets my goat is nearly every ITV programme seems to have a competition- why?? every quiz show, every morning programme and when are they going to put it on the news? " 400 people die is air disaster- and for other news you can win a 2 week holiday to a sunny beach ". Doubt it will be long before they do this. I am yet to find out how much money this brings in? Also, these programmes should finish with gamblers aware details!!!

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 15 10:43

twiglets wrote:
Wed, Jth May 2019, 8:47am
agree that many topics appear over the top- needless to say, many story lines have helped the public. What really gets my goat is nearly every ITV programme seems to have a competition- why?? every quiz show, every morning programme and when are they going to put it on the news? " 400 people die is air disaster- and for other news you can win a 2 week holiday to a sunny beach ". Doubt it will be long before they do this. I am yet to find out how much money this brings in? Also, these programmes should finish with gamblers aware details!!!
At least they seem to have stopped asking you to text a silly answers to easy peasy questions like "What city is The London Eye situated" Is it "Madrid, Baghdad or London". They just ask you to text now at £2 a throw. You can always send your answers in by post for free. But I bet that PO Box never gets emptied.

I think at the end of Emmerdale they should give you the details for the Samaritans or a priest.

If all fails, maybe you can contact "Lawyer 4 U" oh hold on, don't they sponsor some of these Jeromey Kyle type programmes. Or is that Judge Rinder (another cheerful show to reach new depths) Some people will do anything to get on TV, and I mean anything. There is one programme on Channel 4 where men stand naked showing their wedding tackle to be assessed by a bunch of women (someone here will know the name of the show - unfortunately). I mean, I don't need that when I'm eating my sausage supper [Big grin.png]

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2019 15 11:05

Stopped viewing EastEnders after the first few episodes, far to much violence and bickering and rowing, stopped viewing Coronation Street years ago as it got stupid and to many violent story lines, likewise Emerdale, story lines trying to better the other two with more violence and unbelievable story lines, remember when it was Emerdale Farm, easy going mid-day viewing, ruined, and as for Jeremy Kyle, only seen it once by accident, it came on after a program I had been watching, unbelievable that people can expose their life that way.

writing this found myself wondering if I had spelled "Rowing" correctly, the word row has 3 meanings, a row of people or items, row the boat and row as in argument, all with the same spelling. give me strength.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 15 11:35

inspector wrote:
Wed, Jth May 2019, 11:05am
Stopped viewing EastEnders after the first few episodes, far to much violence and bickering and rowing, stopped viewing Coronation Street years ago as it got stupid and to many violent story lines, likewise Emerdale, story lines trying to better the other two with more violence and unbelievable story lines, remember when it was Emerdale Farm, easy going mid-day viewing, ruined, and as for Jeremy Kyle, only seen it once by accident, it came on after a program I had been watching, unbelievable that people can expose their life that way.

writing this found myself wondering if I had spelled "Rowing" correctly, the word row has 3 meanings, a row of people or items, row the boat and row as in argument, all with the same spelling. give me strength.
Well (not meaning you are in good health or a source for water in the ground) inspector, I guess you are referring to Homonyms. Homonyms are words that have the same spelling and pronunciation, but different meanings.

Maybe you should have a lie (meaning to recline not to tell a falsehood) down as after reading this thread, you might want to arm (not meaning a body part or a division of a company) yourself with some knowledge to express (not meaning something done fast but to show your thoughts by using words) your opinion to address (meaning to speak to not meaning a location) the situation with a kind (not meaning a type but meaning caring) way with a right (meaning correct, not the direction opposite of left) attitude. OK, just take a deep intake of air (meaning an intake of oxygen not a lilting tune).

No wonder English is so difficult to learn, not even the English fully grasp it. I know, it can all get very confused.com [Big grin.png]

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2019 15 15:11

I too, whole heartedly can recomend 'The Repair Shop' DR, and it can bring a tear to the eye when people describe the sentimental value of an item they have asked to be repaired, the experts too often have to wipe away a little moisture from their face. CT you mentioned Channel 5, I have found it to be a really good Channel (most of the time) these days, huge improvement on it's early years.