BBC Three has lost 60% of its audience since going online

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, cable, Sky, Virgin Media, iplayer, Amazon, Netflix, Rakuten...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 18 02:25

BBC Three has lost 60% of its audience since going online

In 2015, the last full year that BBC Three operated as a TV channel, the monthly audience stood at 22.7 million but that number had fallen to just 8.8 million by 2019. Earlier this year the BBC suggested that it may look at reviving BBC Three as a linear TV channel.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainme ... 13613.html

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
TheRat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 18 07:47

Re: BBC Three has lost 60% of its audience since going online

I dont watch this channel seems a little strange to me some of the programs that are previewed.
Living The Dream of Dreams -Like.png-
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 18 07:54

I'm not surprised, I used to watch some programs of BBC3, but when it went online-only, it became something that wasn't as readily available. Mind you, the programs I watched disappeared as well from what I remember.

The same issue has happened with a local radio station. It was a pretty good mix of new and oldies with local presenters who went out in the community they served. Then the owners decided they were paying too much to the rejects from Radio One with their Greatest Hits Radio channel and dumped all the local stations up and down the country, plus firing all their presenters, and switched to one national station. Most of the DJs seem to be retired or rejects from Radio One (and Two) and there is next to no local content anymore.

The presenters who were fired moved to Rombalds Radio which is only available through their website, an app, or a smart speaker. Not as convenient as simply switching the radio on.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 18 08:14

Dragonrider wrote: Fri, 18th Sep 2020, 7:54am I'm not surprised, I used to watch some programs of BBC3, but when it went online-only, it became something that wasn't as readily available. Mind you, the programs I watched disappeared as well from what I remember.

The same issue has happened with a local radio station. It was a pretty good mix of new and oldies with local presenters who went out in the community they served. Then the owners decided they were paying too much to the rejects from Radio One with their Greatest Hits Radio channel and dumped all the local stations up and down the country, plus firing all their presenters, and switched to one national station. Most of the DJs seem to be retired or rejects from Radio One (and Two) and there is next to no local content anymore.

The presenters who were fired moved to Rombalds Radio which is only available through their website, an app, or a smart speaker. Not as convenient as simply switching the radio on.
It is a real shame the way local radio has gone. We had Arrow FM in Hastings. It was run from a small studio in the town centre. Full of local content. The same happened to Sovereign Radio in Eastbourne along the coast to us. They have all been taken over by national radio with the same programmes interspersed with local adverts and an hourly so called local news. At night if you flick through the DAB channels, you hear the same record playing channel after channel. What a waste of bandwidth.

Maybe it is because I am getting older, I actually enjoy listening to Scala Radio, BBC Radio 4 and 4 Extra.

And don't get me started on the poor quality of DAB radio. Often only in mono with very low bitrates. DAB had the potential to transform the way we listened to the radio, but somebody decided that quantity was better than quality.

I still keep my local DAB transmitter page up to dat with all the bitrate details: https://www.thecaretakers.co.uk/dab_hastings.html

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)