The best and worst years in my life

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, cable, Sky, Virgin Media, iplayer, Amazon, Netflix, Rakuten...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 20 20:35

The best and worst years in my life

Well, I'm sure many of you will agree 2020 has been one of the worst years in our lives.

Looking back on my life, 1966 was probably the best. The future looked bright and we were all on an up.

In 1966:
  • Action Man toy launched in the UK
  • Hoverlloyd inaugurate the first regular hovercraft service across the English Channel
  • Barclays Bank introduces the Barclaycard
  • England beats West Germany 4–2 to win the 1966 World Cup at Wembley.
  • M1, M4 and M6 motorways were expanded, and new motorways M32 M74 were opened
  • Japanese started importing Datsun branded cars to the United Kingdom
  • Hastings celebrated the 900th Anniversary of The Battle of Hastings in 1066.

popular_with_visitors_since_1066_first_day_cover.png

There were some sad events like the Aberfan disaster in South Wales, 144 (including 116 children) killed by collapsing coal spoil tip.

What was your best year?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 08:47

Re: The best and worst years in my life

Not even close!! 2020 has been a "CHALLENGE" so far But for me personally a breeze. Ive been to the bottom and tasted the burning ash. Now, im living the dream.. well in comparison. haha -Success.png-
"Can you just?....."
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 21 09:20

Sharky wrote: Mon, 21st Sep 2020, 8:47am Not even close!! 2020 has been a "CHALLENGE" so far But for me personally a breeze. Ive been to the bottom and tasted the burning ash. Now, im living the dream.. well in comparison. haha -Success.png-
So what was your worst year if not 2020 - (I don't need the gory detail, just the year) and what year do you consider to be the best so far?

(Truth Without Fear)
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 10:24

not so much a year, more of a period (94- 97) is my favourite time of my life.....

Chelsea reached the fa cup final in '94 after a 24 year wait, and i went to Wembley that year for the first time to watch Chelsea in the semi's..... i remember queueing through the night with my dad with a flask and a sleeping bag just to get tickets - for an 11/12 year old boy that was a special moment.
Chelsea also reached the semi's of the European cup and fa cup again in 95, when the Matthew Harding revolution started and we started attracting players like Luca Vialli, Mark Hughes and Ruud Gullit... 97 saw us with another FA cup final which we finally won( first major trophy my boyhood team had lifted up until that point). I lived not to far from the ground and the whole estate were Chelsea mad so all the neighbours got together, we had a street party, barbeque and bouncy castle... the result went our way and the celebrations afterwards were amazing followed by the trophy parade the day afterwards

Away from football, the period was the golden years for BritRock and i was a mad OASIS fan. I went to my first concert that year to see them and that was euphoric to say the least. The whole country seemed to be riding this huge high as well on the back of a Labour Landslide- the country was booming... i think i got my first girlfriend round about 97 too hahahahaha

HAPPY DAYS
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 10:34

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 21st Sep 2020, 9:20am So what was your worst year if not 2020 - (I don't need the gory detail, just the year) and what year do you consider to be the best so far?
96-97 PTSD. suicide. was dead 3mins, that time in december! its now the only time of the year that i do not live the dream! Best. Every year since 97.
"Can you just?....."
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 10:56

The best year was also 1966 when i got married. -Like.png-

Worse year was 1982 fighting in the Falklands conflict. -Disappointment.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 11:13

Best year 1990, as this was the height of a period in my life where I :-
Had a well paid job that I really enjoyed.
Still lived at home so no money worries!
Had a fantastic social life.
Had a nice car, a Westfield SEi (google it if you've not heard of them).
Owned a boat that we kept in Newhaven Marina, our usual fishing area being anywhere between Birling Gap and Brighton Marina.

Worst year would be 2004, as that was the year I lost by beloved Dad.
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 11:30

Best year, well the summer anyway was 1989.19 years old, spent the summer in Newquay, Cornwall working as a nightclub doorman by night and spending the days on the beach surrounded by bikini clad girls. -Like.png-

Worst was 1993, unemployed, severe depression and drug abuse. Sorted myself out and went to college the following year.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 11:31

Teenage years and the 70’s were the best times for me, I was young fit and the world was my oyster. I left school had my first wage packet first car first of quite a few things plus independence. Went to many rock concerts and saw some amazing performances from now sadly departed legendary musicians. Played in a good pub rock band with a strong following, got married and settled down into married life. 80’s was also good had a son got my own school and life was rosy.

However, family bereavement started in the 80’s and 90’s plus 2000 onwards work got more stressful with many forced cutbacks but rising workload arising from a new breed of young HT’s and management structure. 2011 I hit a low point in my life and have never really recovered, now retired life is calmer although 2020 has been strange and a bit of a struggle.

Now in the twilight of my life I wonder what the future lies in store, its no fun this getting old lark, burn slowly the candle of life…
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 11:38

I agree with CT 1966 was a very good year... I was born then. -Big grin.png-

Worst and best year for me was 2000. Daughter born in October Mum died after 1 week diagnosed with cancer.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 21 19:37

Can’t say I have had a good life, with 2019 being the worst in my life fighting for my job and home, but moving to Spain in 2020 has helped.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 22 08:30

Sharky wrote: Mon, 21st Sep 2020, 10:34am 96-97 PTSD. suicide. was dead 3mins, that time in december! its now the only time of the year that i do not live the dream! Best. Every year since 97.
Glad to hear that your life has turned around -Like.png- -Success.png- -Big grin.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 22 12:50

Hey Wayne wrote: Mon, 21st Sep 2020, 11:38am I agree with CT 1966 was a very good year... I was born then. -Big grin.png-

Worst and best year for me was 2000. Daughter born in October Mum died after 1 week diagnosed with cancer.

Born in 1966, you are still a snip of a lad. I'd better not tell you when I was born. Just to say, I was a product of the 50's -Big grin.png-

You know when you are getting old when you sign up for something online and they ask you your date of birth. You click on the drop down and scroll, and scroll, and scroll down the years and you hope to god it goes back that far hehehehe -Big grin.png-

(Truth Without Fear)
londonlad1939
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 22 15:13

Gazza wrote: Mon, 21st Sep 2020, 10:24am not so much a year, more of a period (94- 97) is my favourite time of my life.....

Chelsea reached the fa cup final in '94 after a 24 year wait, and i went to Wembley that year for the first time to watch Chelsea in the semi's..... i remember queueing through the night with my dad with a flask and a sleeping bag just to get tickets - for an 11/12 year old boy that was a special moment.
Chelsea also reached the semi's of the European cup and fa cup again in 95, when the Matthew Harding revolution started and we started attracting players like Luca Vialli, Mark Hughes and Ruud Gullit... 97 saw us with another FA cup final which we finally won( first major trophy my boyhood team had lifted up until that point). I lived not to far from the ground and the whole estate were Chelsea mad so all the neighbours got together, we had a street party, barbeque and bouncy castle... the result went our way and the celebrations afterwards were amazing followed by the trophy parade the day afterwards

Away from football, the period was the golden years for BritRock and i was a mad OASIS fan. I went to my first concert that year to see them and that was euphoric to say the least. The whole country seemed to be riding this huge high as well on the back of a Labour Landslide- the country was booming... i think i got my first girlfriend round about 97 too hahahahaha

HAPPY DAYS
ha ha I was also at the final, and we got smashed 4-0 I was the same age as well, I went with my uncle and cousin. I was wearing a --- censored word ----bag at the time (hay I was 11 years old and it was the 90s) and just before we went in my uncle came to me and said stick this in there they are going to search me, not sure what it was but carried on regardless, he got searched as predicted and I strolled straight through, halfway through the match he calls me over and pulls out a smoke grenade then sets it off.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 22 15:35

thecaretaker wrote: Tue, 22nd Sep 2020, 12:50pm Born in 1966, you are still a snip of a lad. I'd better not tell you when I was born. Just to say, I was a product of the 50's -Big grin.png-

You know when you are getting old when you sign up for something online and they ask you your date of birth. You click on the drop down and scroll, and scroll, and scroll down the years and you hope to god it goes back that far hehehehe -Big grin.png-
Isn't that the truth...

I could get repetitive strain injury scrolling down to the year of birth... -Big grin.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-