This is the BBC 2022

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 24 23:40

This is the BBC 2022

Lots of changes and celebrations are planned for the BBC in 2022.

All the regional BBC channels will go HD. So you won't have to change channels to watch your local news.

BBC Three will return to our screens as a channel in its own right.

The BBC will be 100 years old on 18th October 2022 and an array of special programmes to mark 100 years of broadcasting will be aired. A number of special sports events will be shown live too.

Who remembers The Home Service, The Light Programme and Third?

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 24 23:54

Re: This is the BBC 2022

thecaretaker wrote: 24th Nov 2021 at 11:40pm Who remembers The Home Service, The Light Programme and Third?
I do, plus "Sing Something Simple" on a Sunday evening, my dad used to listen to it regularly. Must have been around the early sixties? -Neutral.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 25 00:36

Keyolder wrote: 24th Nov 2021 at 11:54pm I do, plus "Sing Something Simple" on a Sunday evening, my dad used to listen to it regularly. Must have been around the early sixties? -Neutral.png-

Oh yes, I remember it well. And just for you... Sing Something Simple

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2021 25 01:03

I think that Sing Something Simple featured the Mike Sarnes singers. Maybe wrong about that. The Third Programme carried Test match commentaries & classical music. If a concert or an opera overran, the Third Programme schedule went out of the window.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 25 07:52

Drone wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 1:03am I think that Sing Something Simple featured the Mike Sarnes singers. Maybe wrong about that. The Third Programme carried Test match commentaries & classical music. If a concert or an opera overran, the Third Programme schedule went out of the window.
The Cliff Adam Singers m8 -Angel.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:15

The only thing the BBC needs in 2022 is to ditch the licence fee and go commercial.

It is ridiculous that in this day and age with streaming services and multiple free to view services available that we are still forced to directly fund a very small part of the broadcast system. -Mad.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 25 08:36

Vera wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 8:15am The only thing the BBC needs in 2022 is to ditch the licence fee and go commercial.

It is ridiculous that in this day and age with streaming services and multiple free to view services available that we are still forced to directly fund a very small part of the broadcast system. -Mad.png-
I see where you are coming from, but one thing I do like about the BBC is that you can watch a programme in its entirety without constant interruptions from often repeated adverts every 20 minutes. The annoying thing is that even if you pay a subscription to a service provider like Sky, you are still bombarded with adverts (not to mention that 80% of their content is actually FTA anyway).

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 25 08:47

I can't even remember the last time I watched the BBC, which is a shame as I used to watch it a lot growing up. Still it is £160-odd a year saved from my pocket, can't believe they have the nerve to charge that for what they provide these days, I mean for example they lost the rights to show most sports (that people actually want to see) a long time ago. They even said last year that what they do would cost subscribers £400 a year - well go on then, grow a backbone, cancel the licence fee and see how many people want to pay £33 a month for "Mrs Browns Boys" and repeats of "Bargain Hunt" and "To Buy or Not to Buy".

Crazy how the courts are tied up prosecuting and criminalising people (mainly women) on behalf of the BBC, total waste of time and money. Laughable when you see how Youtubers in this country can make videos that gain hundreds of thousands/millions of views with effectively zero budget from their houses and wiping the floor with an organisation that has 23,000 staff and an annual budget of over £3 billion. Complete anachronism in this day and age but at the last debate about the license fee in Parliament most MPs seem to think the BBC is fantastic value for money - well if I was able to put it on expenses and get it for free I might too.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:51

thecaretaker wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 8:36am I see where you are coming from, but one thing I do like about the BBC is that you can watch a programme in its entirety without constant interruptions from often repeated adverts every 20 minutes. The annoying thing is that even if you pay a subscription to a service provider like Sky, you are still bombarded with adverts (not to mention that 80% of their content is actually FTA anyway).
Streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon have no adverts during the programmes or films.
The difference is you can choose to pay when you want to.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2021 25 09:01

Vera wrote: 25th Nov 2021 at 8:51am Streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon have no adverts during the programmes or films.
The difference is you can choose to pay when you want to.
But they tend to show all American shows, not home grown UK programmes. At least Brtbox shows the best of UK programmes without adverts if you subscribe.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)