I usually avoid the subject of politics

Discussion about Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, Streaming Services, DAB Radio...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Aug 2022 10 12:24

I usually avoid the subject of politics

But listening to that silly Truss women on the radio today, she hasn't got a clue. The news keeps saying she is favourite to win, but is the conservative membership as stupid as she is? (Most of them are retired people).

She refused yesterday to get with Boris and Rishi to work out a plan to help people before the leadership vote.

What's more, she wants to give everybody tax cuts (not handouts). Does she not realised that will not help people on the very lowest incomes or pensioners (who don't pay tax) who will need the most help? It will help the well off, nobody else.

I'm seriously worried for myself (I'm retired) as I am sure many of you are (both financially and mentally). We are heading for a very difficult period.

Truss is so full of herself I can't take her seriously. Pork markets come to mind.

Guess we are all in the same boat. I expect many other countries are going through the same crisis but we don't hear what measures there governments are taking to help their people. Maybe we could pick up some tips.

I've had my moan. [Forgive.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 10 12:37

Re: I usually avoid the subject of politics

It does look to be a difficult road ahead for the less wealthy, I also have no faith in government officials that allow their own personal interests to bias the decisions made. We are all in this together, except for the ones that can afford to withdraw their membership…
[Disappointment.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 10 12:47

It doesn't look promising on either front. Will be interesting to see what happens at the next election, as I feel a fairly significant number of people voted for Boris more than supporting the conservative party overall. While to wait for that yet though.

Only real issue then is, there isn't really any opposition at the moment. I would normally vote Labour, but I have no clue what any of their policies are or what they'd do differently at the moment.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 10 13:57

We are going down the pan. No doubt. Politicians all too often turn out to be grubby self serving weasels dishing out spin and soundbites. Over and over again. I struggle to see any one of them I would trust with a box of matches let alone running the Country. Policies often seem to be knee jerk reactions or designed to benefit the supporters of whichever party is in control. I honestly feel that we are looking at a **** storm heading our way. Millions of households will soon be coughing up all their income just to pay the rent and keep fed and warm. Millions won't even be able to afford that and will slip further into debt. Brace yourself!
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Aug 2022 10 15:05

You are right to suggest that other countries are in the same boat- even those in the EU. Gas & electricity prices are rising in France, but only by 4%. The government owns the electricity in France & has intervened to subsidize the cost of utilities. So the French population will take a far smaller hit than we on this side of the Channel. British Gas made a £118 million profit last year. They did not need to sack engineers on a fire & rehire basis. Nor do they need to implement these price hikes. People will die this winter whilst the utility companies fill their boots. The case for public control of the utility companies now goes way beyond party political dogma. It is essential for some people`s survival.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 10 15:27

The Tories only got in last time because of Brexit, let's see how they do next time when they don't have that Golden nugget to help them.
At the end of the day they are Conservatives and will only look after the richer in society not the wirking class. Listening to some of the rhetoric i feel they would like to go back to the times of our colonial past (Reanda policy) and have workers working for a pittance whilst they enjoy the riches, it makes my blood boil
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 10 19:43

That should say Rwanda policy, sorry
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Aug 2022 10 20:53

The media are hilarious, it was not very long ago that they were mocking Liz Truss for things like silly photoshoots and not knowing the difference between the baltic and the black seas and yet suddenly for many it is now 'In Liz we Trust', until she is post for about 5 minutes and then start relentlessly pushing for her resignation as usual.

I saw an interview with Jacob Rees-Mogg the other day and you can tell how bad things are when he claimed the Tories have only been in power since 2015 because somehow the lib dems are to blame for all the coalition mistakes before that.

It doesn't really matter if Truss, Sunak or Starmer were in power, they all would be out of their depth in a children's paddling pool, with no idea how to fix the issues with energy, economy, water, crime, illegal immigration, the health service etc. and the biggest issue is that they don't seem to care as long as they and their mates are on the gravy train. They would probably all just ignore the domestic issues and distract by pathetically trying to tackle world problems and 'get tough' with Russia and China. Putin or Xi Jinping might die laughing I guess.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]

"It may look like I'm doing nothing but in my head I'm quite busy" [Big grin.png]
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Aug 2022 11 08:35

Looks like you have the same paper as I do. (Daily Express?)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2022 11 09:58

If I was the leader of a minority party (the greens say) I would run at the next election on a simple manifesto.

1, The political and voting system will be completely overhauled.
Voting separated you vote for your MP and separately the Governing party this will encourage independent MPs). House of commons updated to remove the frankly childish behaviour and a more professional debating structure. House of lords disbanded and replaced by a panel of summoned commoners (similar to the jury system). All laws should be produced with a long term viewpoint (beyond the current government)
2, Politicians can only be politicians for a maximum of 10 years (Ending career politicians) This is essential to build trust and prevent corruption.
3, Making manifesto promises binding, preventing politicians from promising the earth and delivering nothing.
4, Preventing anyone with a criminal record becoming an MP and barring anyone who is prosecuted from continuing as an MP, this is to promote honesty and integrity.

I recon they would win by a landslide as most people are fed up and disillusioned by the current crop of politicians.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]