Staff restructuring

Chat about Unions, Contracts, Terms and Conditions, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 18:29

Re: Staff restructuring

Had similar at my previous comprehensive. Head called all staff meeting to explain that largely as a result of there being too many chiefs their would need to be cutbacks and we had a range of proposals to save money. He also said it would be unfair to cut back on support staff. After a few weeks consultation and discussion it was decided not to cut back any teaching staff but get rid of TA's and cut the caretakers hours and grades. He was a spineless man though so no one was surprised by his back tracking. Sadly he is not unique it seems
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 19:28

greenjack wrote: Wed, 16th Sep 2020, 6:29pm Had similar at my previous comprehensive. Head called all staff meeting to explain that largely as a result of there being too many chiefs their would need to be cutbacks and we had a range of proposals to save money. He also said it would be unfair to cut back on support staff. After a few weeks consultation and discussion it was decided not to cut back any teaching staff but get rid of TA's and cut the caretakers hours and grades. He was a spineless man though so no one was surprised by his back tracking. Sadly he is not unique it seems
Always the little people first to go.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 20:07

My old school, RC Primary with 14 classrooms from Reception to Y6.

This was the least amount we needed and never changed much the whole time I was there, up to 2019 and even when our kids went there before from 1997.

1 x HT
1 x DHT
1 x Bursar (BM)
4 x Front office staff (2 or 3 rotation)
1 x Caretaker
14 x Teachers
12 x TA's
1 x SEN officer
2 X SEN assistants (double as TA)
4 x Cleaners
5 x Lunchtime staff.

It really is a bare minimum.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 17 08:43

I agree with Nail. The structure is no longer affordable for a school that has effectively on a path to being two thirds the size it once was. Each year it delays making the structure more in line with its new size the deficit will snowball. I imagine that having a top heavy structure makes the day-to-day running of the school easier for the Head as there is the capacity to delegate. Also, the Head may be shying away from having to make cuts to those colleagues he/she works closest too. It is unfair to pass this poison chalice on to the next incumbent once they leave. Simply concentrating reductions on TAs etc is ineffectual and may be an attempt to be seen to be doing something. If the school is a LA one you would hope that there would be some strong financial advice being offered.
Drillbit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 17 09:56

You are right indeed Dexter - our HT is friends outside of school with a lot of SLT. -Disappointment.png-

We (the unions) are fighting the good fight we I think it will be a long road to till the HT sees that the issue is higher up the ladder.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 18 08:55

Drillbit wrote: Thu, 17th Sep 2020, 9:56am You are right indeed Dexter - our HT is friends outside of school with a lot of SLT. -Disappointment.png-

We (the unions) are fighting the good fight we I think it will be a long road to till the HT sees that the issue is higher up the ladder.
Good luck with it!