What would make you stay/leave a job.

Post jobs you have seen and chat about Contracts, T&C's, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 10:14

What would make you stay/leave a job.

If an opportunity arose to change from your current job, to another which would entail more work (same type of work but more managerial), what pros and cons would you look at before changing- or not? What do you see as the main motivators? I know there is Money, but what others and why? I am a person who hasn't changed more than a couple of times in life, so if there is a choice, do I take the big step or not?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 10:26

Re: What would make you stay/leave a job.

Always look at the "extra" demands of the job and how that will impact your quality of life or work life balance
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 11:39

I would first consider if I am happy where I am. If the answer is in the affirmative I would not consider a move, even for more money.
FilthyRaider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 14:20

I turned down jobs, even while out of work, because simply I did not like the people I met at interview. One poor HR lady called me within two hours to offer me the job and I said no. It was to join a team of "caretakers" and the one in the interview clearly did not like me. The guy that then showed me round was 20 times worse......

I came to the job I am now in because everyone I encountered in the "Trust" was really nice. I thought it was a fluke but early days suggest not.

I managed in some big jobs several years ago and to be brutal when I was in sales we called some managers "MacDonald's Managers" - ergo you sold enough "chips" and you got promoted. They were great sales people, horrible managers. And that is in some ways why some Trusts are good because they stop some Heads from being able to get involved too much.

Money is nice, position is nice, but going back home in the evenings, feet up with a beer, a good dinner in you, something on the telly and no worries cannot be beaten.
MrMoustache
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 11 07:11

I'm just moving from a school where I love the staff and the job to another school for a position with more managerial responsibilities, it has been a difficult decision
Cons
Moneywise not much difference just 3k which will cover the petrol (25/30 minutes drive instead of 10) but nothing compared to the responsibilities
The cleaners on the new job are employed by the school and is in some way more difficult to deal with
As i said I'm leaving a good environment

The biggest PRO are the hours, on the new job I suppose to do 7-14/14.30 always, and now every other week i do evenings, to finish early leave more time for myself and also for my own little business which is growing and I love it
miracleworker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 11 13:01

If you enjoy your job and have good people around you I would suggest thinking long and hard about leaving.

Unfortunately I left a job I enjoyed, had good leadership around me and was extremely well supported allowing me to make considerable changes and improvements to the whole site which in turn made me popular with staff.

I went to a newer school, money and responsibility were the same, I just fancied a change of scenery after so many years. Promised so much in the interview and fulfilled on none of it. Walked out after six months.

Went to another school, walked out after a week, they were even worse.

Went to another school and had a controlling bully as a line manager.

Currently looking to get back into caretaking/site management if I can find the right environment, unfortunately I'm not holding much hope at the moment.

In my humble opinion, this occupation is very rarely understood and respected by those around us, we are in a position where we can only really make a difference with support, if you are lucky enough to find the right school, stay where you are.
Allswell
Jun 2021 11 13:09

2 years ago I left a job to become a site manager at a primary school. Along with the new job came a drop in pay!! Best thing I ever did. Quality of life over money anyday of the week. 🙂
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 11 17:37

miracleworker wrote: Fri, 11th Jun 2021, 1:01pm

In my humble opinion, this occupation is very rarely understood and respected by those around us, we are in a position where we can only really make a difference with support, if you are lucky enough to find the right school, stay where you are.
Amen to that one miracle worker. Preaching to the choir. -Angel.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 15 17:08

Allswell wrote: Fri, 11th Jun 2021, 1:09pm 2 years ago I left a job to become a site manager at a primary school. Along with the new job came a drop in pay!! Best thing I ever did. Quality of life over money anyday of the week. 🙂
Snap...!! Exactly the same 6 years ago now.
It would have to take something pretty special to even get me considering returning to my old trade and site work !
Of course I have bad days, but they are fortunately heavily outweigh by the good. From previous experience it’s a case of the grass is definitely NOT greener on the other side !!