ILL health and losing job.

Discuss Unions, Contracts, T&Cs, Pay, Leave, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

DAE avatar
Bazfitz
Forum Member
Forum Member

ILL health and losing job.

Mar 2018 12 16:28

Post by Bazfitz » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 4:28pm

Post by Bazfitz by Bazfitz Mar 2018 12 16:28

I have recently been diagnosed with vascular disease, which has been at the back of a few health issues that has meant a considerable amount of time off work, I have been at the school for less than a year and live on site, I get the feeling the school are going to let me go as certain things that have been said lead me to believe they will use the (you are unable to carry out your duties excuse) where does this leave me as far as being re-housed. If anyone can provide information to help that would be great.

Jubbs
Forum Member & Subscriber

Re: ILL health and losing job.

Mar 2018 12 17:15

Post by Jubbs » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 5:15pm

Post by Jubbs by Jubbs Mar 2018 12 17:15

What does your doctor say about continuing work. I'm sure the report that goes to the school when you've been off sick gives them some idea of what you abilities might be and the long term problems that may arise, if they know how to Google.

Its not going to be easy to convince any management that your condition is temporary, given that Vascular Disease is a precursor to heart problems and possible strokes.

If it were me and I was worried about my health, that has to come first. An alternative action may be to ask the school that you can stay in the accommodation, be a key holder and live there paying decent rent and act as an asset for any school emergency and be there to act as a dep when the Caretaker is sick taking home a very modest paypacket (hopefully with your condition you would get benefits), having a resident patrolman is a good deterrent too.

Can't say anymore really, but good luck with your health I hope it goes well and you get better. :)

Lucastone1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mar 2018 12 17:33

Post by Lucastone1 » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 5:33pm

Post by Lucastone1 by Lucastone1 Mar 2018 12 17:33

Are you LEA Bazfitz? It's them that would assess you, not the school.

DAE avatar
Bazfitz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mar 2018 13 13:20

Post by Bazfitz » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 1:20pm

Post by Bazfitz by Bazfitz Mar 2018 13 13:20

The school is an sen academy, and the finance director is my boss, and quite a hard nosed one too. I have spoken to the head and she seems happy for me to continue with the roll but is up against a board that is like minded with my boss.
I have been taken off driving duties with no OH involvement and told to base myself in the office. I feel isolated and that the decision has already been made, my children are worried we be made homeless and to be honest so am I, I am an ex serviceman who takes pride in all I do but feel completely powerless in this very cut throat world. I have been informed we have no chance of local authority housing as we are not from the borough and have no local connections, it’s soul destroying being at the mercy of a person who has no heart. Many thanks for your advice and support.

bigbird

Mar 2018 13 14:24

Post by bigbird » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 2:24pm

Post by bigbird by bigbird Mar 2018 13 14:24

What ever you do, don't move out! Sit in the house until you get the eviction notice, then take this to the council. They must put you in temporary housing for your family.

But don't just move out because they will just wash their hands of you. Also seek advice from a free advice service.

Good Luck.
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

bigbird

Mar 2018 13 14:42

Post by bigbird » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 2:42pm

Post by bigbird by bigbird Mar 2018 13 14:42

Bazfitz wrote:
Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 1:20pm
The school is an sen academy, and the finance director is my boss, and quite a hard nosed one too. I have spoken to the head and she seems happy for me to continue with the roll but is up against a board that is like minded with my boss.
I have been taken off driving duties with no OH involvement and told to base myself in the office. I feel isolated and that the decision has already been made, my children are worried we be made homeless and to be honest so am I, I am an ex serviceman who takes pride in all I do but feel completely powerless in this very cut throat world. I have been informed we have no chance of local authority housing as we are not from the borough and have no local connections, it’s soul destroying being at the mercy of a person who has no heart. Many thanks for your advice and support.
Hi Bazfitz,

The finance director is not your boss, the HT is not your boss, they are only your line managers put in place by your employer. They all come with a pay packet and employment number, your boss is the department you pays your wages! On my wage slip it's got ########## Council they decide what will happen in any dispute.
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

Rockstar

Mar 2018 13 17:21

Post by Rockstar » Tue, 13th Mar 2018, 5:21pm

Post by Rockstar by Rockstar Mar 2018 13 17:21

The council certainly is not the boss here. As this is an Academy, the big bosses will be the trustees and directors of the Academy Trust.
Good luck with it all. The last thing anyone needs is to be made homeless. I would take the advice to not move out until you can show an eviction notice to the council. It might not come to that anyway. I hope it all works out for you.