well I did it union is in

Chat about Unions, Contracts, Terms and Conditions, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 09:28

well I did it union is in

long and short of it after been told twice I was s--t at my job ,the same job I have done for 8 years and almost rebuilt most of the school myself as a builder fund raising for most of it . The bis manager took it to far I put in a complaint to the waste of space above and things have only got worse since. No apology just more back stabbing behavior and blanking. I am at the verge of going long term sick used to lov the job surprising how one person can ruin things. I spoke with the union yesterday and on there advice I have again gone back to the waste of space and have yet to get a reply -Disappointment.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 09:43

Re: well I did it union is in

What a depressing & familiar story this is. No thanks or appreciation for what we are doing for the school during the pandemic. Just a capability review. Absolutely sickening.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 09:59

Sorry to hear things have got that bad.

My advice, should you wish to take it, is to write things down to the best of your recollection (Exact words used if possible, who was there. who had instigated the exchange etc) Print off any emails etc that support any unfairness and take a copy home. I would do the same going forward. Be careful in the language used in any exchanges. Do not allow yourself to say something that will give them a trump card in dismissing you.

I have been on the wrong end of such a situation on a couple of occasions and things that you put in your personal diary at the time are an effective weapon in any such conflict. Do not reveal what you are doing. If you are invited to any meetings find out in advance their purpose and who will be attending and consult your union if you feel uneasy about them.

I found that just the simple act of writing things down, as soon as the opportunity allowed, helped to remove some of my anxieties.

Good luck to you.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 18 10:03

These schools talk about being inclusive and caring when it comes to pupils, but when it comes to the staff, they don't know the meaning of the word (and probably don't with the kids either in reality).

Managers in schools seem to have some of the worst management skills of any profession I've had the misfortune to be associated with. Rant over! -Zip.png-

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 10:15

thanks for the positive comments this has been ongoing for 6 year its come to a head we don't come to work to feel like --- censored word --- nor do we deserve it. I've been in the building trade 40 built houses but dare to have a opinion and say no you are wrong then the toys are out the pram and you are ...well you no the rest. Everting is getting documented probably at both ends still no reply if I don't here anything by the end of today then the union have said they can bring in HR. This is nothing new the bis manager is well known across schools for the mouth and has left a least two schools I know of because of it. chin up soon be Christmas lockdown we can have two weeks off
NGJOBS
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 10:17

hotwheels wrote: Wed, 18th Nov 2020, 9:28am long and short of it after been told twice I was s--t at my job ,the same job I have done for 8 years and almost rebuilt most of the school myself as a builder fund raising for most of it . The bis manager took it to far I put in a complaint to the waste of space above and things have only got worse since. No apology just more back stabbing behavior and blanking. I am at the verge of going long term sick used to lov the job surprising how one person can ruin things. I spoke with the union yesterday and on there advice I have again gone back to the waste of space and have yet to get a reply -Disappointment.png-
What is with the so called senior management at schools?
My first school decided to employ a business manager after me being there for 2 years. She attempted to change everything. I asked the school to provide an item of PPE so that I could do outside work and they refused, so I refused to do the work. I had an agreement with the old HT not to attend alarm call outs and she said that i had to as it was part of my jd ( new HT appointed) and to get just one hours o/t even if it took longer to resolve!
I was fortunate enough to be offered another job in a much smaller school for more money closer to where I lived where I loved it for three years until a big academy took over and I was told by the CEO that I was not doing my job properly and my position was at risk of redundancy.
Well I don’t take fools lightly and decided that it was best to leave than work under such oppression. Plus the fact the red mist may come down and I’d do something I regret!!
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 10:23

Hotwheels, I can completely identify with your situation I am going through exactly the same thing. Been told on a number of occasions by the waste of space above that I'm not value for money, BM is sexist, never grateful for what I do and treats me like a servant. Disagrees with everything I say.
A simple example is I was clearing out her loft space the other day, found two coffee jugs, she says "oh they're for the machine that used to be in the staff room. Do you know if it's still up there?", I say no, I haven't noticed it up there and we have an instant boiling water tap anyway, to which she replies "no, it is up there still".....so why ask me then?!!!
On another occasion we had a bad smell in a classroom. I instantly knew it was electrical, as it smelt like TCP. She comes in....no, it smells like gas, or maybe the air con has leaked...we better call in both the boiler and Aircon contractors! Both of whom come in and say it smells electrical and has nothing to do with them. Wasted call out fees. I get the electrician in, and low and behold it's the storage heater has burnt out. But obviously I get no apology or acknowledgment that I was right. Seems trivial, but when those trivial things are constant, they build up.
And when the issue is with the BM, who schmoozes the head, who schmoozes the governers, it just feels like a lost cause.
So, you're definitely not alone.

Luckily for me, I'm on the clinically vulnerable list, so I've been given a month off. It's crazy how much of an improvement it has made to my mood. I was so low at the beginning of the month, my life was literally work, sleep, repeat. Was teary ALL the time, struggling to get out of bed, constantly fatigued, terrible memory, it was horrible.
Then when I go back, I'm going to resign.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 11:52

I can relate to that JonOfhammy (life was literally work, sleep, repeat. Was teary ALL the time, struggling to get out of bed, constantly fatigued, terrible memory, it was horrible.) add to it waking up in the middle of the night mad then sad watching the clock.I can only hope that one day karma steps in. plod on as we always do -Wink.png-
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 13:29

I used to get annoyed at the fact i was told what to do and not consulted or told to be quiet having worked my previous life on the tools. I then decided i would only communicate by email so everything is in writing. Now when im told i did something wrong i send her email back to her and it goes very quiet. The trouble is its become a job not a vocation. This always ends up costing them more money for a job that i normally end up having to put right. If i could afford to rent privately or buy a house where i am i would be gone.
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
steve a
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 16:47

As Dexter said always make a note of any communication that you have with the BM, then and if the .... hits the fan you have the knowledge in writing, I had this a few years ago and even though the union and HR were involved and i was not in the wrong they still treated me like dirt. Its such a shame when CTs go above and beyond there daily routine to help and sort out and still get treated badly. Good luck my friend and keep your chin up.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 09:03

Had some further thoughts that might be useful:

Have you got a grievance policy or a dignity at work policy that you could access? They may tell you how your line manager should treat you and how your head should deal with issues that you have flagged. In your contract of employment (or statement of particulars) it should tell you where these policies can be obtained from.

In the absence of you saying or doing something drastic they will either take you down the disciplinary or capability route if they wanted rid of you. It sounds like the latter would be most likely given the BM's comments. Ultimately, if they do, they will go back to your job description and see if there is anything that you are not doing that you should. If the bigger projects that you have done and continue to do, stop the performance of your core duties your employer should recognise it. If I was asked to do x and it was going to take 2 days I would tell them that it means that y will not get done. Make them aware that there is only one of you and how much time you have available. Throwing a large project your way makes you have to prioritise what remains. I would involve them and log their response on each occasion.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 10:17

well said Dexter,

I would add that you should try to keep all communication to email only and stick only to statements of fact and be very brief.
Check out the grievance procedure and try to reference it in your communication, it may help you later on.

Of course you could just decide to save yourself the hassle and find another job although you would have to declare a previous grievance if asked at interview and a reference could be tricky.

Good luck and keep your chin up.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 10:28

at the mo I have sent copies of all the emails to the staff governor and asked it gets forwarded to the chair it should come as no shock to her. I have in the past complained directly about the amount of foul lounge used by said person. I sat on the gov for a while most know me and all of them have thanked me for the amount of work I do for the school and acknowledge they are lucky to have me here. I am going to sit back a while gather my thoughts if nothing is said I will go back to the union and ask what to do for the best. Only got two years then I can take early retirement when I go the prem staff are all of the age that they have said they will not stay without me they are sick of it too.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 16:25

I kept a day to day time line as instructed by my Union, Like a diary really, so easy to keep on a PC and and adding attachments, Like letters and emails received. I produced printed paperwork at each meeting that I needed over the problem period = 18 months, they even had the audacity to as for my information held!!! at the end of my contract they even requested my findings/grievances against them, you can imagine my reply. All I can say is, it will get bad and at the end of the day you are only one person dealing with these so called educated know it all selfish stuck up idiots. Good luck and stay strong, a little sickness will help you, but not them.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 18:44

thecaretaker wrote: Wed, 18th Nov 2020, 10:03am These schools talk about being inclusive and caring when it comes to pupils, but when it comes to the staff, they don't know the meaning of the word (and probably don't with the kids either in reality).

Managers in schools seem to have some of the worst management skills of any profession I've had the misfortune to be associated with. Rant over! -Zip.png-
There seems to be an unwritten law that states "When you become faced with a personal problem from a member of staff who wants some kind of intervention from you, at all times remain aloof and ignore, put off answering emails or any kind of contact by using the word "time" and/or "not available" in the one and only form of reply you compile. Also, do not under any circumstances offer help or understanding/sympathy of their problem even if it involves you or a decision you have made that effects them. It is imperitive that they do not see you as a source of potential settlement or arbitration"
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower