Headteacher problems

Post jobs you have seen and chat about Contracts, T&C's, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Jkk114l
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 09:45

Headteacher problems

MMMMM not sure how to word this, so!!....

My school as a whole is having major issues with our HT.

In a nut shell there's massive resentment against her and many staff want to know how to raise a vote of no confidence against her.

Has anyone else had similar issues, and found a solution??
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 10:06

Re: Headteacher problems

Speak to the Governors put it in writing what grievances you have and encourage everyone else to do the same. the more the better.

Try to sit tight for now as its unlikely that the head will last long with that much resentment in the ranks.

Make sure your union payments are up to date..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 10:10

Although I have never done one as I have had good heads. Under safeguarding my understanding is that if you have a issue with the head you write to the chair of governors. Although I would be careful incase the other staff are all wind and no action. I would think you could try and do a open letter sign be all the staff involved then you know that you are not the only one doing it. Hope this helps.
scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 10:23

Had this problem years ago, despite the governing body getting several letters of complaints as the HT hand picked the board (and got rid of any that wasn't bendable to her) nothing happened for years. It all came to a head though when OFSTED put the school into special measures that she went (didn't see her for dust). Since then I have spoken to few people that are high up in our trust and they said we should have gone to the trust and by passed the governing body. They said even one anonymous letter would set a chain of investigations off. Good luck
Lift your face to the sun, then the shadows will fall behind you.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 10:35

As above really, your first point of call would be the chair of governors, however remember in a lot or cases the relationship between head and chair can often be quite tight...
If you feel this is the case and not comfortable contacting them, remember the governance team are also reportable and accountable to your LA and the DfE. You can contact them in that case.
Good luck, but as already said you may find they are not around much longer anyway.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 11:15

1. You cannot raise a vote of no confidence in a HT. Well, you can. But it will do no good. A Head is appointed, not elected.

2. It is more likely to be particular issue that are the problem rather than the individual. Though admittedly some modern Head are terrible at interpersonal skills.

3. Do not take on a Head - any Head - as individual staff members. If there are issues such as the HT ignoring Dignity At Work policies, pursue it via the grievance procedures adopted by the governing body - and do it through your union.

4. In my experience governing bodies & their Personnel Sub Committees will back their HTs unless they go mad with an axe at a full school assembly. So I would suggest that you try not to personalize the issue, but keep your grievances focused on particular issues.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 12:16

This was discussed among staff at my last school about the HT but no one wanted to put their head above the parapet. I talked about issues with one of the governors on a meeting he requested after handing in my resignation as the staff turnover at this point was growing and growing and he was trying to find out why that was. Even with that and the awful Ofsted report which heavily criticised the leadership I believe the HT is still in post now. I agree with Drone, I think you should try to tackle issues/policies and not make it personal to the HT as it will almost certainly get messy and unpleasant and not achieve what you want.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 12:21

I was lucky and had two very, very brilliant HT's at my school, on the other hand my daughter is a chef in a private school in Windsor and they had a new head and within two months 7 members of staff had resigned, the parents committee broke up and her kitchen staff walked out one day in protest at the HT interfering in the kitchens daily routine, my daughter is not afraid of grabbing her by the throat and banging her up against a wall but did it the right way through her contract company she works for and they sorted her out. -Crazy.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Jkk114l
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 13:40

thanks for all your replies and help

various members of staff have already gone to governors, but no action!!

we are a LEA school so i guess next course of actin is directly to the local council, and see where that goes

UPDATE

just found out she's got herself signed off indefinitely due to being "the most vulnerable member of staff"!!so is now isolating with her kids, but has told everyone she will be hard at work, jugging work with home schooling!! so on the upside we won't see her for months

if anyone has more ideas/suggestions please reply
paulsso1
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 15:03

Re: Headteacher, bully and a narcissist

I am also having Headteacher problems, my Head would not do a RA for P.E subsequently children walked through the school to the hall played dodgeball without an assessment of any kind didn't open any doors or windows and left the sliding doors to the dining room open where 60 odd bags of food parcels waiting to be picked up were situated.
Possible community outbreak!
I asked the teacher where is the RA they replied she didn't have one, I asked the head and was told didn't need one and I walked away later that day I found out that PE was started the moment I left the site at the end of my first shift, I spoke to my line manager and said I was going home as I felt unwell and contacted the unison, I emailed the head my concern and cc in the unison rep.
All hell kicked off with the head going into a rage and shouting at my business manger swearing about me and other staff and threatening that I will never hear the last of it and I am done for etc etc.
This was repeated the following day and was heard by staff saying why did he go to the union, he's responsible for health and safety! (I assist)
This was seen and heard by other staff members and I reported this to my union.
Our head came from Worcestershire in January and has bullied the staff into submission with others treading over each over to get in his good books.

I am currently off sick as I have an occurring back pain caused by slipping on the kitchen floor at school as the cook decided to defrost the freezers and didn't put out signs, I have put in a claim.
Which was not responded to in the 30 days so it's going to Litigation?
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 15:21

Jkk114l wrote: Tue, 19th Jan 2021, 1:40pm thanks for all your replies and help

we are a LEA school so i guess next course of actin is directly to the local council, and see where that goes

UPDATE

just found out she's got herself signed off indefinitely due to being "the most vulnerable member of staff"!!so is now isolating with her kids, but has told everyone she will be hard at work, jugging work with home schooling!! so on the upside we won't see her for months

Oh i see she has pulled up the ladder and "I'm alright Jack", she could have isolated in her office where as teachers, TA's and support staff could not, blinking cheek. -Crazy.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 16:32

Jkk114l wrote: Tue, 19th Jan 2021, 1:40pm thanks for all your replies and help

UPDATE

Reminds me of the Italian cruise liner captain who left the sinking liner and was safely in a hotel whilst crew and passengers were still being evacuated. He then refused the request of the emergency services to return to help oversee the rescue!

In the case of the headteacher it is a real abdication of duty but could also be a sign that they are not coping and it could be a start of the end game (of her leaving).

Her not being around may help staff talk openly and may establish how collective the unrest is. Do speak to your union before any action, on your part, although it will probably the teaching union who will better versed in dealing with such a situation. I am sure that the LA will already be alerted by the headteacher's working from home (and leaving others to deal with the day-to-day issues that she should be managing) if they had not already got wind of unrest.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 17:22

WE have Executive Principals who look after 4 academies which would be the first contact then the Governing body
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 19 17:23

WE have Executive Principals who look after 4 academies which would be the first contact then the Governing body
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 20 08:38

wow could this be another member of staff from our school on here that I don't know about well wouldn't that be strange. I was only having the same type of conversation with our senco before --- (The word only permitted in December) --- she had been asked by another head from a different school about the rumblings in the back ground. Our governors are of no use they do as they are told by the head if your LEA there is a whistle blowing number you can call it should be on your school website. you can do it anonymously and they are suppose to look at everything . good luck