References dilemma

Post jobs you have seen and chat about Contracts, T&C's, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Eagleman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 15 17:41

References dilemma

Hi All
having been made redundant from a 10 year stint as site manager, im back in employment at another school.
Dilemma I have, its not exactly what I signed up for! Im only 6 months into the role, and I have spotted another job from a school nearer
and for the salary I was on previously! (had to take a big pay cut for the role im in now) also, it would be a split shift which I prefer.
Catch twenty two..if I apply for the new role, they will ask this one for a reference if im shortlisted. If I go for it, and dont get it, I could end
up looking a bit of a mug! Do I ask them not to contact my current school for a reference?
Any advice please fellas
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 15 19:48

Re: References dilemma

You could possibly ask for references to be taken up only if you are to be offered the post. I think it would look rather dodgy for you if you asked that references from a previous school should not be taken up at all.
Eagleman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 15 20:08

Hm, yeah, dont think I have a choice. I will offer up another referee as a third choice incase this 6 month one isn't enough. Probably have to bite the bullet and tell them I have to go for it.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 16 07:33

Supply as many referees as you can but you can ask that your current employer is only contacted if you are offered the position.

There is nothing wrong with that and it is more common than you think, I've done this in the past myself.

Good luck if you get an interview. -Thumb_up-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 16 07:43

Go for it your obviously not happy life's to short to be in a long term job your not happy in as others have said ask them to only ask for references if your offered the job. If you go for a look around the school try and sound them out on your dilemma they will understand where you are coming from. Good luck
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 16 10:00

I agree that you should ask for the references to be taken only if you are offered the job. I did request it for one school job and they ignored it and asked for them anyway. Didn't get the job and created issues but I think it was a real one-off by a headteacher who did her own thing. You could always give the a ring before applying to check that they will abide by your request.
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 16 13:00

When I left a school after a very short period, around 3 weeks, I didn't tell the school I applied for that I was working there.

I just never mentioned it. Wasn't worth mentioning anyway. My references were the school I had worked at before and the previous place of work prior to that.

If that makes sense! -Big grin.png-
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:19

You have the right to ask that a request for reference from your current employer is only done so on receipt of an offer of employment. this is for this exact reason. it should be a tick box on the reference sheet. but you can write it on. however it it would be simply continuation of service, sometimes theres no need for it as ultimately you are employed via county unless its an academy. even so you have the right to ask.
"Can you just?....."