Emergency Call Out Pay

Post jobs you have seen and chat about Contracts, T&C's, Pay, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

HongKongPhooey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 09:09

Emergency Call Out Pay

Hi , this is my first post on the forum, and I was wondering what the situation was with emergency call outs (Fire or Intruder alarm) and pay? I don't have anything in my job description, but it has been assumed that answering these call outs falls into my lap. I agree that I am probably the most appropriate person for this role, but being the only person, I'm therefore expected to be on call 24/7 and 365 days of the year. Am I supposed to never have a beer just in case I get a call out for example?

My wife works in the hospital and by contrast they get given pay for being on call (works out between £1 and £1.50 per hour overnight), then they get paid time and a half or double time for the hours they work if they are called out, and they also get 28p per mile.

I'm looking to approach the school about this but thought I'd find out what the expectations were like for others?

Any info would be great thanks.
NEITTech
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 10:10

Re: Emergency Call Out Pay

HongKongPhooey wrote: Mon, 22nd Mar 2021, 9:09am Hi , this is my first post on the forum, and I was wondering what the situation was with emergency call outs (Fire or Intruder alarm) and pay? I don't have anything in my job description, but it has been assumed that answering these call outs falls into my lap. I agree that I am probably the most appropriate person for this role, but being the only person, I'm therefore expected to be on call 24/7 and 365 days of the year. Am I supposed to never have a beer just in case I get a call out for example?

My wife works in the hospital and by contrast they get given pay for being on call (works out between £1 and £1.50 per hour overnight), then they get paid time and a half or double time for the hours they work if they are called out, and they also get 28p per mile.

I'm looking to approach the school about this but thought I'd find out what the expectations were like for others?

Any info would be great thanks.
Unless it's stipulated in your contract, you are NOT on call 24/7. You will be listed as a keyholder for the emergency call outs, but it's up to you whether to accept the callout or not. If I've had a drink, or just don't fancy it, I won't answer the phone and it will go to the next person in the list.

If the school has not arranged for someone else to be called out, that's their fault.
Jack-the-Bug
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 10:17

I get a 2 hour minimum payment for any call-outs. (I am on site).
If I am on site longer I would get overtime after that.

I don't have to attend if I am not nearby or I am in the pub etc.
If I am not able to get there, one of the LA security guys comes down and does a quick check.
All fairly straight forward and relaxed here. Thankfully.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 10:32

Originally, I got paid overtime 2 hours minimum at time and half after 8:00pm or weekends, Single Status hit around 2012 and toil only was then introduced. My basic pay included shift and call out payments, so I was expected to attend all callouts. Sadly, in a one-man school key holders are not forthcoming so all callouts fell on yours truly.

Check your contract it will mention call outs and suchlike.
Welcome to the forum btw -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 10:48

Nobody can be expected to be on call out 24/7.
It may be that you are number 1 on the callout list but that is not to say you have to respond all the time.

Speak to your management about it but try not to be too defensive, accept that you will be called out occasionally, but ask what recompense you will receive for being inconvenienced, Call out pay, overtime at appropriate rates or Toil?
Good luck.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 11:01

I would suggest that you get a security company to come out.

We have a security company come out if our alarms go off. I just get an email the following day to say why they have been called out. 8 times out of 10 its kids/animals on site setting the CCTV sensors off, the other times its a sensor in the building gone off for whatever reason. Never had a genuine call-out in over 20 years, he says quickly touching wood.

If you do have to come out for whatever reason, then here its a minimum 2 hours callout, plus however long you are on site. As people have already said its up to you, if you decide that you cant attend just let the next in the chain come out.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 22 11:40

You should be paid 2 hours minimum regardless of whether you are there for 30 minutes or 2 hours, anything after that should be paid at time and a half. I was once called out twice in one night, after finishing at 7pm and starting at 7am the following day. Nearly fell asleep on the way home so after that the governors and HT got a security company in to cover out of hours callout which was the best thing they ever did.
-Like.png- -Cool.png-
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
HongKongPhooey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 23 07:50

That's really helpful - lots of consensus about 2 hrs minimum pay etc, thanks all for your time.
Schoolbutler
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2021 10 09:02

When under the old regime I used to not claim overtime but took TIL and worked brilliantly for all of us .Now under the current temporary management I asked how we was doing it ( I did not trust them for me to take til ) the reply was I did call outs and got 1 hour per call out unless it ran over a hour then I get overtime for how long it takes .Then after 1st call out appeared a file next to alarm panel and boss informs me that on call out there is a form to be filled in.I looked at the 2 page form and asked if they think it would not be better doing it in daytime after call out .The boss said it had to be done on the call out, I have a theory that the call out I did she realised they paid me the standard hour but it took only 10 minutes to sort it out so I think the forms are to make sure call out lasts has near to a hour has it can.Just to say I've had 2 further call out which went unanswered .when the alarm triggers it comes to my mobile
Phone so when I answer and put code in it turns alarm off ,so now it goes I answer turn it off n go back to sleep .
I did ask if any SLT wanted to be on list not 1of them said yes so if they can't be bothered neither can I
SB