Toby's New Bathroom

This is the board for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 08 20:14

Toby's New Bathroom

I have been working on getting a bathroom setup for Toby, who we foster. Toby has had a kidney transplant and needs help with his personal care. So I have been converting a box room, into a special bathroom, which also doubles as a extra bathroom for our kids.

First is the toilet. The toilet is a close coupled wc, which has been positioned so that either myself or Kyle can stand either side of the toilet. He also has a rail, so if he wants to stand and do the other end, he can hold the rail while one of us supports him to stand. We were going to put a folding rail in, but it would get in the way. (Especially Kyle is a larger lad)

At the side of the loo, is the draws with Toby's supplies. (Catheter Bags, wipes, gloves, disposable aprons etc)
59931200_2226248074371174_2329734280193769472_n.jpg
We've installed both a bath and a shower, as the kids like both. We can wheel in a hoist to get Toby in and out the bath and one of us can sit behind him in a little recess, behind the bath. There is a stabilizer underneath the bath, which controls the temperature of the water to the bath and the shower.

The shower is not a mixer shower connected to the taps on the bath. It has it's own supply from under the bath and goes up a channel in the wall. The shower has a riser rail and is also thermostatic. The shower screen has toughened glass for safety. The bottom of the bath is also non slip for safety.
59903584_627794657647212_7376999277437911040_n.jpg
The floor is non slip Lino, which looks like tiles. Toby chose black, as it's his favorite color! The hand basin allows him to wash his hands while in his wheelchair and for when the boys are older, I have installed a shaver socket. (This and the control switch for the extractor fan are mounted above the outside of the door. The light switch is also outside the door. The walls are painted with white tiles that are half way up the wall. The top frieze has shell effects, which are cool.

The bathroom has spot lights, which are recessed in the ceiling and were a pain to install. (Our Electrician did that) So the bathroom is bright! The door opens outwards and also has a safety lock, which can be released with a 20 pence piece from outside.

The only thing that needs doing is the alarm cords, which our Electrician is coming to install next week. Apart from that, I have done most of work myself, with a little help from Kyle and the kids. I am quite proud of a bathroom that I know Toby can use safely.
59665003_306713233561406_7464386876770615296_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you Murial? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog - https://tinyurl.com/swsmith

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 08 21:03

Re: Toby's New Bathroom

Very nice work there, looks just the job. Well thought out m8.

Psst: You need a toilet roll holder [Big grin.png] [Scared.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 08 21:57

Thankyou. Was a right pain in the posterior tho, as ive had to install macarators to pump away the water. The one under the bath is a right tight fit! Kyle has also said he may go artistic and paint a murial on the wall where the sink is! Maybe something like Peter Pan?
Sam Smith

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you Murial? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 08 22:49

Lol I know! As Toby can't (and how do I say this politely) wipe himself, we decided not to put a loo roll holder in. The other kids don't really use it for that and Kyle and I have a en-suite anyway so a loo roll holder isn't really needed. Besides, from the toilet pan, you couldn't reach it anyway!
Sam Smith

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 09 07:26

Nice looking job. Was a wet room set up prohibitively expensive?

Rockstar
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 09 11:29

Top job. Well done. You have obviously thought it out well. Its a great feeling when you look at what you have done and think "I did that"! and it looks as good as that and is functional. [Success.png]

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 09 13:34

Yeah it was a bit on the pricey side, especially because we wanted both a bath and a shower. We were going to have a track hoist installed, but that would of been major work. We are getting red cords put in, as I mentioned last night and it looks like the window needs replacing, as it doesn't open at all.

Thanks for all the comments. Kyle and I are proud of what we have built for Toby. He finally has a bathroom that was purpose built around his needs. We struggled to care for him in the current kids bathroom, as it is smaller and meant that it was harder to help him. For instance, we could not get either side of the toilet so we had to stand in front of him to lift him on and off the loo. The bath was not suitable for him, because we could not get the mobile hoist into the bathroom

Most of the time, he was getting strip washes in his bedroom, with a bath 2 - 3 times a week. During the day, he was having to use the downstairs toilet, (which he still uses) as it is adapted already f. At night, he was using a bottle or a commode. That was no quality of life for a 9 yo, so we decided the junk room needed to be converted to a bathroom. Now Toby can have baths safely, he no longer needs his bottle or the commode and has a bathroom that was designed with Toby in mind.
Sam Smith