Onsite caretaker holidays

This is the board for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

Hondacr12505
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 18 23:40

Onsite caretaker holidays

Hi there

Can anyone tell me if you book a week's holiday and don't go anywhere and stay Onsite do you still have to sort out a fire alarm activation and check the building for leaks if we have a lot of rain or should the next person on the list be doing it

Thanks -Cool.png-
discsaw
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 00:57

Re: Onsite caretaker holidays

If you're residential as your post implies by you saying on holiday but on site. I would suggest that if you were at home on annual leave and a fire alarm went off that you didn't respond to and the school was burning it maybe wouldn't look to good. But obviously if you live on site and on annual leave and respond to stuff you claim as much as your entitled to. If you live off site and on annual leave turn the phone off and relax. Come back after your break and help sweep up the ashes.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 07:31

In simple terms.
If you are on annual leave, then your responsibilities are also on annual leave and your next in line, deputy, assistant whoever should then pick up the jobs that arise.

Where you are during your leave is irrelevant.

However,
I understand, as residential, it is not always that clear cut. If i am not away and am called out for any reason, an overtime claim goes in.
Particularly for the situations where the problem is not a matter of safety. ( i got called out once as a teacher could not unlock her drawer, she told me there was important stuff in there she needed. Turned out it was her remote control for her whiteboard)

Once the school realise that your time is chargeable, they soon stop calling.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.----------------------------------------
You reap what you sow!
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 07:59

I would say if your residential and on leave you are on leave full stop.

You should not be expected to respond to anything or check anything, UNLESS YOU CHOOSE TO.

I'm not sure about the insurance implications either, are you insured to carry out duties whilst you are on leave?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
lesbedford
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 08:03

I have been residential for 30+yrs. and if i am at home whilst on holiday i do answer the alarm call if needed, but put in an "Overtime" sheet for time i deal with alarm & make sure who ever is on duty gets there ASAP
MAN. UNITED RULE OK.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 09:52

I would attend the callout and claim overtime, if it was at night it would probably wake me up anyway so I would rather at least get a bit of overtime out of it if my sleep was disturbed. However I don't think you should be expected to in your booked leave, otherwise you become more like a prisoner. Personally, I have had more trouble with non-emergencies such as holiday clubs and contractor visits that other keyholders agreed to cover while I was away, they then make plans at the last minute and have then expected me to deal with any problems the visitors might have.
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 12:34

I never claim overtime for alarm call outs, on holiday or not, must be a mug.
Hey Wayne
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 16:30

Handyman wrote: Fri, 19th Jun 2020, 9:52am I would attend the callout and claim overtime, if it was at night it would probably wake me up anyway so I would rather at least get a bit of overtime out of it if my sleep was disturbed. However I don't think you should be expected to in your booked leave, otherwise you become more like a prisoner. Personally, I have had more trouble with non-emergencies such as holiday clubs and contractor visits that other keyholders agreed to cover while I was away, they then make plans at the last minute and have then expected me to deal with any problems the visitors might have.
Whilst this is all very logical and noble there is a slight snag...

Imagine your the bean counter and was look for ways to save a few pennies. It would be very easy for them to say sorry you're on holiday so you can't claim overtime (which strictly is true).

You'll be out of pocket and it matters no to the bean counter that you will take the hump and never do it again....
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Hondacr12505
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 18:52

TOIL
Thank you to everyone who replied back what I wanted to ask is I did 40 hrs TOIL and when I came to take it not all at once but the odd day here and there I was told I could have the day off but I would still have to get up and open for 6 AM and lock up at 8.30 PM is that right or am I being taken for a ride they say it is because I am living Onsite if it was one of my annual leave days then that is a different issue so I would not have to open up do you know of any other Onsite caretakers that have to do that also if I do overtime I don't get paid overtime just time is this legal
Thank everyone -Angry.png-
discsaw
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 19 23:37

they're taking the urine mate. play them at they're own game take a toil day but book annual leave for the hours they want you to open up and close up see what they say to that. cheeky so and so's.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 20 00:41

Hondacr12505 wrote: Thu, 18th Jun 2020, 11:40pm Hi there

Can anyone tell me if you book a week's holiday and don't go anywhere and stay Onsite do you still have to sort out a fire alarm activation and check the building for leaks if we have a lot of rain or should the next person on the list be doing it

Thanks -Cool.png-
If you are scheduled to be on leave, I would question whether you are even insured to be on site.
redfern63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 20 09:36

ive been told that all overtime was single time but i checked with the LA and had it put in writing what was single, time and half and double time. gave that to the admin manager to prove my point , she huffed and puffed but because it was in writing from the LA she had nowhere to go. If you don't get the correct payments don't do the overtime . time off in lieu if al good but we work to get paid.

when you take a job with house included you should know there is a different attitude that comes with it. I will attend callouts , couldn't live with myself if anything happened.
if i am on annual leave i don't open or close the school, i have put things in place so i don't have to. ive set my phone so when on leave it will only ring for work if its an alarm call. friends and family settings.
i did give it a year before being stricter with what i do , knees under the table and make yourself invaluable.
learn to say NO, it will help because they will alway keep asking.
i doesn't make me popular with some staff but they don't matter as they are the sort to to be unreasonable and self important all the time and that opinion is one i can live with and you will soon find out your not the only one who finds them unreasonable.
ive been here 12 years and it took me quite a while to be stronger and have been burnt by school and staff with money and peoples attitude.
flip side is at the weekends i have one heck of a back yard , i can get up and be at work in 5 minutes , nip home anytime.
i also do love my job and get on with 95% of staff.