Accepted a job with tied accomodation

This is the board for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

HandyAndy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 04 12:09

Re: Accepted a job with tied accomodation

Congratulations mate. Been in my job with on site accommodation 2 and a half years now and its the best thing that's happened for me and my young family. One thing you do need to be able to do is switch off when your not at work and if you do decide to pop in at a weekend to get a few bits done then make sure you take your time back during the week!

One thing to consider when living on site is if the alarm goes off in the middle of the night you will be responding within minutes and that means chances are if it is a break in they will still be on site. I always walk the perimeter first to determine whether or not I think its safe to go in the building and if you have any doubts then just call the police and wait for them to attend before entering.

All the best
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 04 16:08

Well done to you, there have been some experienced replies so take note of them, I was a resident school caretaker and originally employed with the Local county authority and school, I had a Service Occupancy Agreement for the better performance of duties, paying around the £80 per month rent for a 3 bedroom property deducted from my pay, this did increase on a yearly basis by about 1% After around 6 years the school went over to a academy and the original HT decided to retire early, with this a new h.t and academy management team were installed this making a multi academy trust with 4 other local schools, I was the only caretaker in the trust as the other schools had cleaners in charge, This is where problems started and I was wanted out, although my school was the biggest in the m.a.t, I fought with my union to keep my position as they wanted to change my J.D and reduce my hours and pay, within all this all I kept hearing was, that I was on a substantially good thing by paying so little rent! and they = the m.a.t were my landlords now! although I had my original agreements with the L.A in all ways, TUPE was out of the window! and at the end of the day so was I, losing my job and home. We did give them a good fight for about 18 months and in the end we agreed to a Without Prejudice Settlement Agreement. So my friend, Look after yourself, my first 6 years were brilliant, you cant do enough for a good employer, so keep your nose clean, behave well and stay out of trouble, you should have a job for life. I would also like to say what happens at home, stays at home, so will your wife or children have anything to do with the school? All the very best, stay safe and healthy.
gaz6712
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 05 12:13

Well done and congratulations to you.

As others have said look after yourself I lived on site for 20+ years then the school wanted the house back and turned it in to learning space. Fought it with the union and kept job but had to go on housing list and was offered a house like for like. Best thing that ever happened to me moving out the school house always disturbed.

Look after yourself -Like.png-
Take care and be Lucky

Gary

Chelsea FC
Kendall
Apr 2021 19 14:01

Good luck to you and your family Gazza
I've recently apply for living caretakers job in maidenhead fingers crossed