Do you live on-site or have a tied house?

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Rabbit13
Feb 2021 23 16:00

Re: Do you live on-site or have a tied house?

I do, Have a lovely 3 bed detached next to the school, needs a bit of work doing to it but can't complain -Like.png-
gm47
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 13 19:27

I just retired in October 2020 after 21 years with a nice 3 bed detached house in london, I paid £140 per month for all of those 21 years, the new head has decided not to have a full time site manager and is preparing the house to be rented out, probably makes good business sense as she can probably get £1500 + per month in rent to cover however she decides to cover the school's maintenance and repairs etc. I had to move away but found a nice place in Norwich city centre which I love.

I used to read about many retirees saying how good retirement is, I always sort of thought I guess they can't say much else after retiring but I can now concur it's absolutely brill -Like.png- even with the covid restrictions and will get even better when we get back to normal -Thumb_up- -Thumb_up-
Rawesie
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 26 08:32

Technically no, i do however live just over the back fence (i can see my house from one or two of the classrooms), I've been told that how close i live, in part helped me get the job.
Both good and bad points for me - during summer when I've got all my jobs done or have contractors onsite i can nip home for an extended dinner break rather than staring at the walls all day -Like.png- its only a quick little 7 min walk, 3 mins on the pushbike or 2 mins in the car when im feeling particularly lazy/weather is pants/its 15 to 5 in the morning -Sleepy.png- its like having an extended shed in my garden and when SWMBO has me earning my keep at home the bins/skips "may" on occasion have been used
I used to have the issue of getting phone calls during the day between my split shifts because of something not urgent (i.e. soap or the loo roll has run out). I wouldn't mind if it was for an actual emergency, like the roof falling down. Thankfully I've managed to break the back of that now, partly by reminding them that im not paid to be "on-call" but mainly by not answering the phone the first time the office ring and having my work emails on do not disturb when im not at work.
Rawesie

Sparky God, Ex fire alarm engineer and Royal Engineer veteran

"There's no such thing as problems - just opportunities for solutions...
...unless a teacher is involved, then you're gonna have problems"
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 26 09:43

Not many come with accommodation around this area. Those that currently do have a house with the job, whenever they leave/retire the school usually coverts it into classrooms or office space. Which is exactly what happened to ours a few year back.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 26 15:20

I have just retired so still living in the house until i can move into the house i have just bought but they advertised my job without the house. Not sure what they will do with it because technically it is within the school grounds but not fenced in.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.