Bath and Birmingham announce "clean air zones"

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2020 15 01:30

Bath and Birmingham announce "clean air zones"

Councils in Bath and Birmingham have both announced plans to introduce “clean air zones” next year. The zones, which see vehicles that fail to meet set emissions standards charged to enter a prescribed area. The scheme is targeting taxis, trucks and vans (including pick-up trucks), with cabs and vans forced to pay £9 to enter the city. Trucks and buses will have to pay £100 to enter the zone.
https://uk.motor1.com/news/448625/bath- ... -air-zones

Cash strapped councils are going to love this and you can bet your bottom dollar that many more councils will follow when they realise how much revenue this is going to bring in.

The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 15 08:03

Re: Bath and Birmingham announce "clean air zones"

There's another tax upon a tax. Vehicle excise duty (road tax) is already paid for and calculated on emissions. This is just another money making opportunity hiding behind the environment as an enforcement

If we all went to electric cars tomorrow where would they fill that void from VED?, barring in mind electric cars are exempt from it. Who pays for the roads then ? Only a matter of time. Literally taxed to death
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 15 08:36

Completely with you BigK.

Another Tax on Tax, if they were really that bothered about air quality they would close the city centres to traffic completely and use a public transport system instead.
The problem with all these schemes is that to the well off individual it makes no difference, Buy an expensive electric car and job done carry on as normal. to the average person, not even going as far as the poorest percentage of the population, it then makes working in a city centre a no go.
Low wages, expensive public transport, inability to access lower emissions personal vehicles and unworkable commuting times.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2020 15 09:07

The Big K wrote: Thu, 15th Oct 2020, 8:03am If we all went to electric cars tomorrow where would they fill that void from VED?, barring in mind electric cars are exempt from it. Who pays for the roads then ?...
Contrary to popular belief, road tax doesn’t actually pay for our roads. Not directly anyway.
https://www.osv.ltd.uk/where-does-vehicle-tax-go

The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 15 09:32

thecaretaker wrote: Thu, 15th Oct 2020, 9:07am Contrary to popular belief, road tax doesn’t actually pay for our roads. Not directly anyway.
https://www.osv.ltd.uk/where-does-vehicle-tax-go
In theory it should be for roads, however it's not granted. But to further my previous point, where are they going to fill that void from VED when we all eventually switch to electric cars?. They'll either have to invent a new form of tax (congestion charges are that) or change the VED rules
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 15 11:23

The Big K wrote: Thu, 15th Oct 2020, 9:32am In theory it should be for roads, however it's not granted. But to further my previous point, where are they going to fill that void from VED when we all eventually switch to electric cars?. They'll either have to invent a new form of tax (congestion charges are that) or change the VED rules
They will tax the electricity you use to charge your car, smart meters and grant to put in a charging point = keeping a track of when you charge your car!
Eventually when millions of cars are plugged in and charging the grid can use some of the battery power when needed, whilst making sure your battery is charged for the morning commute, in theory -Scared.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 15 12:02

The Government don’t want everyone to switch to an EV because they get a massive amount of revenue from the tax on diesel and petrol. But something has got to be done about the air quality in built up city areas.

Big truck's buses taxi's and delivery vans are major contributors to lessening the quality of the air we breathe, NOx is a major contributor towards respiratory types of cancer -Scared.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 2020 15 15:32

My guess is when the majority of folk have switched to electric vehicles (or alternative green fuels) then the government will start taxing them. I think the zero VED is currently just an incentive to get people to switch.

Like the government new car grant (currently £3000) is reduced each year as EV's become more popular.

I got £4,500 off my Prius under the original rules. That doesn't apply now.

My Prius was zero VED. But if I bought the same car today, a Prius has to pay VED as they reduced the amount of C02 the car was permitted to emit before being classed as green.