Who remembers 5 star petrol?

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2021 20 01:09

Who remembers 5 star petrol?

Many moons ago, they graded petrol with a star system. Most folk used 4 star. But if you were feeling rich or stupid (like me), you could sometimes put 5 star in your everyday motor.

5 star was a higher octane fuel but it was only useful if you had a Rolls or a high performance sports car. I think it was a myth that normal everyday cars run better on it but it could stop 'knocking' or 'pinking' (remember that?).

2 star was 92 octane, 3 star 95 octane, 4 star 98 octane and 5 star 101 octane.

Then unleaded was introduced and they did away with the star system. You had red pump handles for regular (leaded) petrol and green for unleaded. Diesel pump handles were always black.

Then regular petrol was phased out and the green unleaded petrol had an octane number showing what it was.

Well, it's all change again. I see E5 (95 & 98) petrol and B7 diesel. A E10 petrol is to follow soon too but not all cars can use it (a bit like the introduction of unleaded where only adapted cars or newer purpose made cars could use it). E5 95 octane has a green pump handle and E5 98 has a yellow pump handle. I think E10 might be blue.

It used to be so simple back in the day. I'm glad I don't have to visit a filling station anymore -Big grin.png-

--------------------------

Think that was bad? Wait until you go electric. You'll be just as confused with connector types. Type 1, Type 2 Mennekes, Commando, CHAdeMO, CCS, Tesla Type-2. Then there is AC and DC charging, 7kW & 22kW fast (home & destination) chargers, 50kW up to 350kW rapid chargers, granny cables, tethered & untethered chargers... and that's all to get your head round before the numerous payment methods with Smart phone apps, RFID cards, subscription membership, top-up accounts, pay-as-you-go with credit/debit cards.

Screenshot_20210220-012247_One UI Home.jpg

I digress, sorry -Big grin.png-

Do you remember 5 star?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 10:10

Re: Who remembers 5 star petrol?

Oh yes. remember the star ratings as passed my driving test in 1976. -Like.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 10:22

I remember Five Star, they were popular in the eighties having minor hits but disappeared from the charts thereafter -Scared.png-
Oh you mean that 5 Star -Blush.png- yes and the many other gradings like regular Super and Super Plus before the onset of unleaded. I remember my Capri used to suffer pre-ignition if I used anything other than BP petrol in it.

I also remember a few of the slogans on the tv ads like: The Esso sign means happy motoring, call at the Esso sign and, Put a Tiger in your tank. There are probably hundreds more slogans but my old grey matter is currently suffering a senior moment…
Even though I drive an EV I still occasionally visit fuel service stations to get a 20-minute rapid charge a coffee and a snack -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2021 20 11:04

Keyolder wrote: Sat, 20th Feb 2021, 10:22am
I also remember a few of the slogans on the tv ads like: The Esso sign means happy motoring, call at the Esso sign and, Put a Tiger in your tank. There are probably hundreds more slogans but my old grey matter is currently suffering a senior moment…
Boom-boom-boom-bbom Esso Blue (oh, that was paraffin) -Big grin.png-

So what did Mrs Thatcher do with that £4m a day? -JawDropped.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 11:55

Well ALL the petrol and diesel prices have gone up and will apparently go higher.
oil prices.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 20:12

When I used to be in the motorbike game some customers would put 5 star in their mopeds and step through's , with the result of misfiring due to the lead build up on the spark plugs.
The plugs would be bright yellow

https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/spark ... ting-tips/