I'm in need of some car help

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 15:24

Re: I'm in need of some car help

Jubbs,

It's not the car...

Here's a link that might be of use to all,

https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/hr/do ... ricity.pdf
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 10 23:37

inspector wrote: Thu, 10th Jun 2021, 9:11am Have you by any chance put seat covers on the seats ?, just a thought.
No. I have leather seats. I have had leather seats in previous cars and not experienced this.

20210414_082232.jpg

I'm gonna give this anti static strip a go tomorrow. If the static is caused by my body, I am sitting in the seat which is bolted to the cars metal frame. The rubber tyres are obviously insulating and preventing any static going to earth. If I fit a copper strip to touch the ground, then logic says any charge will run to earth. A bit like a lightning conductor on a building.

Well, its worth a try. What's the worst that could happen. Don't answer that -Big grin.png-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 12 14:21

Just a quick update, the anti-static strip arrived this morning and it turned out to be a doddle to fit. Luck was on my side. The thread at the top of the bracket just happened to be the right size and same thread as the bolts that hold the plastic under tray on. It was a simple matter of removing one of the nuts and screwing the anti-static strip bracket on. If only all jobs would go that easily.

Been out for a run, got out the car and no electric shock. Obviously it is early days yet, but I think I've cracked it (fingers crossed) -Like.png-

20210612_140832.jpg
20210612_140759.jpg
20210612_140719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 12 14:43

thecaretaker wrote: Sat, 12th Jun 2021, 2:21pm Been out for a run, got out the car and no electric shock. Obviously it is early days yet, but I think I've cracked it (fingers crossed) -Like.png-
Looks Good -Like.png- hopefully it will solve the problem -Thumb_up-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Caretakingpoet
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 13 12:28

Im no expert but my son-in-law is and he says the problem of electric shocks is a common one and rarely due to the cars electrics. The shocks are usually static build up by by foot movement on floor mats or carpet especially with certain footwear and of course the friction of the steering wheel in your hands, we then of course touch something metal such as the door and zap! Dont know what the answer is ( short of a wrist strap earthed to a metal contact point?) I do know if we buy cheap “compatible” hoover heads we can experience the same issue and its resolved by maintaining contact with the metal part of the hose assembly. Hope you get it sorted👍