Awkward position re: cleaner

For Caretakers of housing, flats, churches or schools...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

DAE avatar
Cathy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Awkward position re: cleaner

Mar 2018 10 22:55

Post by Cathy » Sat, 10th Mar 2018, 10:55pm

Post by Cathy by Cathy Mar 2018 10 22:55

Hi guys, been a while since I've posted. Things have slightly improved at my work place tho still loads of issues not sorted yet ie: not having a contract ....
Anyway there is one cleaner who works 20hrs and myself who are payed employees all the rest are voluntary charity workers. She has a key so can let herself in, she tends to do as little as possible and leaves early most days. We have cctv at front of the building so she leaves by the back fire exit doors where she won't be seen. In the morning their is only the two of us so she feels she can do as she likes. Although the officers know what she's like and are not happy they don't do anything about it and say things like you tell her she must - she mustn't etc etc blah blah but of course it all goes over her head as no action is ever taken. I feel it's bullying by me constantly saying be careful - watch your back - they know what your doing etc - especially as they don't do or say anything to her face. Also she often rings in sick for a day and still gets paid so she knows she can get away with it. Should I just stop being conscientious and leave them all to it.... it just annoys me that I work hard and do my job well and ppl like that get away with taking the p*** all the time.

DAE avatar
Kirma
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Awkward position re: cleaner

Mar 2018 10 23:16

Post by Kirma » Sat, 10th Mar 2018, 11:16pm

Post by Kirma by Kirma Mar 2018 10 23:16

Unfortunately she hasn’t taken any notice of your verbal warnings, give her a written one. Put her on a performance management thingy, compile a checklist of her tasks, check each task at the end each shift for 2 weeks, each task gets a pass or fail, if you’re not happy email your checklists to your line manager with your concerns, the ball is then in their court.

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member & Subscriber

Mar 2018 11 09:53

Post by Skoolkeeper » Sun, 11th Mar 2018, 9:53am

Post by Skoolkeeper by Skoolkeeper Mar 2018 11 09:53

I am afraid you will have to be firm with her, on your next shift inform her of what is expected from her and get on with it as you have been getting comebacks from the officers, give it a day or two if you are not happy inform her that you will be putting it in writing to the superior officer of your findings and that is all you can do, also if there is no response from these officers, I am afraid you will have to got a step further above those officers, OR just get on and do your own job and let all the others do theirs, you have tried your best, so just carry on and be happy in YOUR work. [Neutral.png]

Taz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mar 2018 11 10:34

Post by Taz » Sun, 11th Mar 2018, 10:34am

Post by Taz by Taz Mar 2018 11 10:34

From experience, if you don't have a contract yourself, said cleaner probably won't take much notice of you. I had one that was very "slack" shall we say, and when I did get my contract (was technically relief caretaker for 18 months or so), he did start to buck up a bit.

Take it higher up, say you're being ignored, possibly due to your contract situation, and that something needs to change on that front, or the HT needs to deal with cleaner directly.

EBJ

Mar 2018 11 16:48

Post by EBJ » Sun, 11th Mar 2018, 4:48pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Mar 2018 11 16:48

I had one and although i was not in charge of the cleaners the BM was this particular cleaner was given enough rope and hanged herself in the end the lazy so and so, she used to arrive in her car in the morning still drinking a cup of tea. [JawDropped.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Drone

Mar 2018 11 23:34

Post by Drone » Sun, 11th Mar 2018, 11:34pm

Post by Drone by Drone Mar 2018 11 23:34

Next time she walks off the job early, book her out & report to the BM or the line manager that her time sheet should be adjusted to show that she walked off site early. Although I think you have an uphill task if management are not interested. If her work is consistently left undone or sub standard, you might also suggest that a capability review be instigated.

HappyLad

Mar 2018 12 08:12

Post by HappyLad » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 8:12am

Post by HappyLad by HappyLad Mar 2018 12 08:12

Monitor her work religiously. Check the standards and if they're not met then tell her. Maybe you should formally meet with her and have your manager in the meeting too. The only way to deal with someone like this is to manage them, they'll either buck up or buck off! Make them uncomfortable, but keep records and be professional, try and have a witness to meetings, take notes/minutes to cover your back.
Good luck
My wife asked me to pick up a loaf of bread and, if they had eggs, to get a dozen. I came home with a dozen loaves of bread.

If brains were dynamite, some people would not have enough to blow their nose.

adonis
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mar 2018 12 12:10

Post by adonis » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 12:10pm

Post by adonis by adonis Mar 2018 12 12:10

firstly are you her boss? you cant give her an official warning written or verbal if you are both 'only' cleaners.
Don't let the school tell you what your entitled to. Check it out and tell them.

bigbird

Mar 2018 12 12:51

Post by bigbird » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 12:51pm

Post by bigbird by bigbird Mar 2018 12 12:51

"Should I just stop being conscientious and leave them all to it...."

The answer to this is YES!!!

The management all know about your concerns and you have told them. It's their job to sort it, that's why they are managers let them manage the best way they can by leaving it.

The main job of a schoolkeeper is to the best you can with the limitations you have and pass on the information that you can't do to your next line manager who is getting paid more then you!
[Sir.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

DAE avatar
Cathy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mar 2018 12 22:18

Post by Cathy » Mon, 12th Mar 2018, 10:18pm

Post by Cathy by Cathy Mar 2018 12 22:18

My position as caretaker is slightly awkward - they tell me to tell her to do this and that etc - they want me to be her superior and for her to report to me but they haven't told her this, it's not in writing and they haven't sat with us to give us our job descriptions. I have told them they have to have us both in and explain face to face to both of us and have It in writing as otherwise it means nothing. I'd rather not be responsible for her as she's a lazy so and so