60mph limits on motorways to cut pollution

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 17:54

Re: 60mph limits on motorways to cut pollution

Nail wrote: Mon, 14th Sep 2020, 1:47pm 115 in a Ford Ka....
Wow, must have been bouncing on the rev limiter -Scared.png-
Keyolder wrote: Mon, 14th Sep 2020, 11:49am I drive mostly at 60 mph now with the occasional burst at 70.
And it gets a little hairy I can tell you in a 20 mph zone -Scared.png- -Big grin.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 14 20:05

I managed 115 in my Mini Metro VP. I thought the tappets were going to explode out of the top of the engine. I think I only managed it as the new road was downhill all the way and empty of any other traffic. I had to slow down for the sharp bend at the end of this straight stretch. I nearly didn't make it. -Big grin.png-

I was much younger then. I drive like a funeral director these days... So my son keeps telling me.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 07:51

-Scared.png- whatever next ?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 07:59

Kirma wrote: Mon, 14th Sep 2020, 1:13pm We really do need to do something to reduce pollution. We are destroying the planet. Burying our heads in the sand will achieve nothing. We must all do our bit. There are so many simple changes we can make as individuals. Road traffic, air travel and eating meat are devastating for the environment. Increase in global population is obviously a very bad thing for the limited resources of the planet. I gave up eating meat a year ago, I’m not perfect I still eat fish 2 or 3 times a week, I’m planning to give that up too. We wouldn’t have coronavirus if we didn’t eat meat, now there’s an incentive -Like.png-
You are correct we can all do our bit, but our government needs to do a hell of a lot more.

Lets see...
No expansion of airports and green taxing of air tickets.
prioritising rail travel and subsidising of rail fares this would be easier if it was nationalised.
Nationalising busses, prioritising semi rural areas and linking services to rail services to allow quick easy and cheap mass transport.
new tram systems in large town and cities (a bit like Manchester and Sheffield)
Proper cycle lanes and pathways.
Give people a real alternative to owning a car and many will take it, removing thousands of cars from the road.

Initialising an effective insulation upgrade for houses along with incentivised (or free) solar panels fitted where appropriate to house roofs coupled with electric store facilities and electric heating of homes.
Investment in green energy soloutions (wind, solar, tidal and hydro electric)

It's all about infrastructire, and a willingness to invest beyond the current governments term in power.

Now that would get real improvements in pollution levels not reducing a spped limit by 10 mph...
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 15 08:42

Hey Wayne wrote: Tue, 15th Sep 2020, 7:59am You are correct we can all do our bit, but our government needs to do a hell of a lot more.

Lets see...
No expansion of airports and green taxing of air tickets.
prioritising rail travel and subsidising of rail fares this would be easier if it was nationalised.
Nationalising busses, prioritising semi rural areas and linking services to rail services to allow quick easy and cheap mass transport.
new tram systems in large town and cities (a bit like Manchester and Sheffield)
Proper cycle lanes and pathways.
Give people a real alternative to owning a car and many will take it, removing thousands of cars from the road.

Initialising an effective insulation upgrade for houses along with incentivised (or free) solar panels fitted where appropriate to house roofs coupled with electric store facilities and electric heating of homes.
Investment in green energy soloutions (wind, solar, tidal and hydro electric)

It's all about infrastructire, and a willingness to invest beyond the current governments term in power.

Now that would get real improvements in pollution levels not reducing a spped limit by 10 mph...
I agree with most of what you suggest. The government would probably argue that they are investing in green solutions but may need to do more, it would probably be the best way to pull us out of the economic downturn due to COVID.

I don't agree with nationalisation. It was nationalisation that destroyed the future development of the the rail industry and it took private sector investment to modernise it. The government is notoriously bad at running businesses and fear that if they nationalised bus companies, the lack of investment would only make them worse than they are now. It would increase our tax bill substantially with little to show for it at the end.

After watching David Attenborough's programme a few nights ago, we definitely need to get our heads out of the sand and start doing something. It needs to be on a global scale, not just individual countries doing their own thing. This is a problem for mankind as a whole which doesn't fill me with any confidence as many countries are far too busy fighting each other to be concerned about the long term future of the planet.

(Truth Without Fear)

UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 08:43

Did 135mph in my old ex police Rover 820i once on the way to the lakes, that was scary. When i got there i noticed a 2inch gash on side wall of a tyre, the thought of a blow out at that speed was terrifying. Not been over 90mph since, and i check tyres before i set off.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 09:56

UnderPaid wrote: Tue, 15th Sep 2020, 8:43am Did 135mph in my old ex police Rover 820i once on the way to the lakes, that was scary. When i got there i noticed a 2inch gash on side wall of a tyre, the thought of a blow out at that speed was terrifying. Not been over 90mph since, and i check tyres before i set off.
During a very cold winter I had a rear offside tyre blow out at very low mph going around a corner. The car spun around but I was lucky not to hit any parked cars, probably as I was not going very fast at the time. Inspecting the tyre the inner wall had a gash around 5 inches long. I changed the wheel and carried on, when I took the tyre to be replaced the tyre technician asked me how old the tyre was, original to the car I replied 10 years old. He recommended checking the other tyres as 10-year-old tyres are well overdue to be replaced. I live onsite so had no commute and only drove around 2k miles per year in that car, I used my wife’s car mostly. My wallet ended up 4 new tyres lighter that day, but I drove away safe in the knowledge that I had safe tyres on my car.
I dread to think what would have happened if I were doing 60 or 70 mph and that tyre blew out -Shock.png-

Thinking back to my younger days of cheap old banger cars with ‘maypop’ tyres (well worn tyres that may pop at any time) it gives me chills just thinking about it.
-Scared.png-
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 10:04

Had a blow out on a trailer with a tractor on it doing about 50mph once, trailer was fishtailing all over 2 lanes of motorway. Luckily it was a double axle trailer if not it probably would of rolled over taking my van with it. -Scared.png-
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 11:20

Its getting terrible nowadays. Hardly anywhere you can "boot it"! Cameras everywhere. Still, I find the M62 between Pontifract and Goole seems to be a free for all. Lets just say I (sometimes might) creep over the 70 mph limit. Cars come past me every time I go over there like I am stood still. Not that I ever go that fast myself. -Blush.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 13:14

We did a lot of MOT fiddling back in the 60's and 70's, changed tyres with a m8 many a time to get the car through an MOT and then changed back to my old not so good tyres. -Crazy.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 15 18:01

EBJ wrote: Tue, 15th Sep 2020, 1:14pm We did a lot of MOT fiddling back in the 60's and 70's, changed tyres with a m8 many a time to get the car through an MOT and then changed back to my old not so good tyres. -Crazy.png-
The tricks we used to get up to when we were young and didn't care -Shock.png-
I was a rebel, I used to cook with Kerrygold -Big grin.png-
wilson
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 16 07:19

The lower the speed limit the longer you are on the motorway -Neutral.png-
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 19 09:24

wilson wrote: Wed, 16th Sep 2020, 7:19am The lower the speed limit the longer you are on the motorway -Neutral.png-
Lower speed limit =Greater boredom = Greater chance to fall asleep and crash.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 19 10:08

Stiggy wrote: Sat, 19th Sep 2020, 9:24am Lower speed limit =Greater boredom = Greater chance to fall asleep and crash.
How about these clowns in Canada https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -speeding

(Truth Without Fear)

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 19 11:37

thecaretaker wrote: Sat, 19th Sep 2020, 10:08am How about these clowns in Canada https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -speeding
Back in the 80’s I had a friend who was an assistant caretaker at a local secondary school, he would take over my school as a relief caretaker when I was on holiday. He like me was another car nut and that is how I got friendly with him. He had an immaculate Ford Granada Scorpio, that car was spotless, his wife told me she was his second wife as the car was always his first priority.

He sadly fell asleep at the wheel on a motorway late one night on his way home, the car veered onto the hard shoulder and into a solid bridge support. The report said he died instantly and from the speedo reading was doing 70 plus mph.
-Disappointment.png-