Tax Those Pesky Tree Huggers

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 10:08

Tax Those Pesky Tree Huggers

So it looks like the tax man is coming after all you electric car drivers -Like.png- https://thedriven.io/2020/11/21/shamefu ... -road-tax/
It will only be a matter of time before it comes here.
He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 11:56

Re: Tax Those Pesky Tree Huggers

Of course they will tax electric vehicles. No question. No later than 2030 once new fossil fuel vehicles are finished.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 12:01

That’s fair enough, I’m happy to pay the tax as my EV is 10p per mile cheaper to run in fuel costs alone than my previous petrol car.
Tree -Hug.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Nov 2020 21 13:43

Only a matter of time really, No Government can loos out on EV`s once they take off, like lower emission vehicles, they have been going up on the quiet.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 21 13:58

I always though it to be a fairer way instead of paying road tax, if motorists paid the additional tax on the petrol or diesel. Then those that do the most mileage pay more proportionately. I don't know how that would work with electric as there are so many sources to charge from. Also, many chargers are free as an incentive to attract shoppers in supermarkets and shops like McDonald's and M&S.

An EV is a lot cheaper to run than an ICE car. Servicing is cheaper, lecky is cheaper (or free), no tax, no BIK... no brainer. I would estimate that driving electric is £2-3000 a year cheaper. Over the course of ownership (average 3-5 years), that's a lot more money you can put towards buying one. And over the next couple of years, they will be a lot cheaper. At the moment, they are tending to sell top of the range models, but many lower spec models are on the horizon and in 5-6 years time, they will be flooding the second hand market.

I'm also happy to pay my share. Do I get a tree to hug 🌳

PS: I see from your link that the EU is proposing a ban from 2025. That ties in with my other post that many of the German makers will phase out ICE cars from 2025 (that's only 4 years time). Maybe we should do the same. https://thedriven.io/2020/11/16/uk-and- ... car-sales/

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)