I'm in need of some car help

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 09 10:27

I'm in need of some car help

I keep getting electric shocks when I get out the car. Also, my wife keeps saying she feels sick when she is a passenger (Probably my driving lol). So, I thought I'd buy one of those anti-static strips.

Problem is, 95% of them are designed to fit around the exhaust pipe using a jubilee clip. You know what's coming don't you... I don't have an exhaust to attach it to.

But I have ordered one of these off Amazon (comes Friday) which seems to be the only type that don't have a jubilee clip fixing.

41RLjce3AGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Only I'm having difficulties to find a suitable place to attach it. Sorry for my crude drawing in paint, but it looks like it needs to clamp down on a horizontal section of metal.

Untitled.png

At the rear of the car is a black plastic cover which seems to fixed onto screws protruding through the under side of the car. Would this provide a good earthing point?

2.jpg

My other option is from a block type thing in the centre of the car. It looks like it is part of the suspension. What the hell is it and is it designed to move when driving (I'd need a good non-moving part to attach it to).

1.jpg

Below are some photos of the rear underside of the car. If you spot a good place to attach this thing, let me know. Attaching it to the lip of the battery is probably not a good idea.

20210609_093544.jpg
20210609_093557.jpg
20210609_093549.jpg

I might have to find some way of adapting the fixing bracket to fix at a different angle. Any help would be much appreciated.

And before anybody asks... yes I have washed and polished the under side of my car - well, the weather is nice. -JawDropped.png-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 10:34

Re: I'm in need of some car help

I would be weary of earthing a electric car, might be a good idea to contact manufacturer to check before fitting.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 09 10:41

UnderPaid wrote: Wed, 9th Jun 2021, 10:34am I would be weary of earthing a electric car, might be a good idea to contact manufacturer to check before fitting.
Problem is, I'm earthing it every time I get out. The earthing is identical to any car. Like when hard wiring a dash cam, you find a chassis screw to attach the earth lead to, so the car body is still the earth.

PS: My experience of the manufacturers knowledge is not very good. Owners seem to know more about electric cars than main dealers. -Zip.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 12:11

Hard to say what’s causing it really, synthetic clothing, rubber shoes, ceramic coating, low rolling resistance tyres, cleaning regime etc, and quite possibly all of the above. Something is generating a positive charge, I’ve read that touching a window while exiting the car for a few seconds releases most of the charge, or firmly touching something metal on the car while exiting does the same thing.

This used to be my party piece in the school office after we had nylon carpet laid. I would intentionally shuffle my feet and hand over keys to one of the office ladies and they would get a static electric shock. It got to the point where I could walk into the office and both the ladies would run out.
-Big grin.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 12:29

We have the same problem here with new Henrys, some cleaning staff are susceptible to static shocks, I think the nylon pad on the head of the floor tool creates static when run over a carpet.
Doesn`t affect me but is quite funny to see a cleaner jumping up and down -Big grin.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 09 12:31

Might well be the ceramic coating. I'm sure I didn't get any shocks prior to that being applied. Now it is all the time. I tried holding the black plastic bit of the door (the bit between the front & back windows) when I get out but I still manage to touch a metal door pillar (usually with just the hairs on my arm) and still get a jolt. I'm such a live wire -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 14:44

Looks like the fitting on the grounding strap will twist to the vertical in which case attach it to (to me what looks like a mounting for the battery pack.

You can ground an electric car it will make no difference but it may be static building on your clothes and the seats which is discharged as you step from the vehicle and touch the body.

But... my god the battery pack looks so low on the car... -JawDropped.png- it'll be literally the first thing that hits the ground.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
timmydog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 14:51

wish i had the same problem as Nigel i dont dont think i could ever get my cleaners to jump up and down -Fever.png-
TheRat
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 14:53

Try the make of your cars forum site. I wonder if other owners have the same trouble. I sometimes have the same issue with my Land Rover discovery. -Like.png- -Like.png-
Living The Dream of Dreams -Like.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 15:14

Vera wrote: Wed, 9th Jun 2021, 2:44pm But... my god the battery pack looks so low on the car... -JawDropped.png- it'll be literally the first thing that hits the ground.
That's what I thought -Scared.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 16:44

If cars themselves generated static, all cars would do so. Earthing the car will do you no good at all it is not charged. Static can only be generated on insulated surfaces.

It is you becoming charged from your clothing or footwear against the seat fabric or carpets. You touch a low resistance surface at a lower voltage (potential) than you and you feel a shock as you discharge into it.

Your clothing material matters, the car's cloth type, moisture and if there is anything conductive you touch whilst you drive.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 09 18:04

AndyCornwall wrote: Wed, 9th Jun 2021, 4:44pm If cars themselves generated static, all cars would do so. Earthing the car will do you no good at all it is not charged. Static can only be generated on insulated surfaces.

It is you becoming charged from your clothing or footwear against the seat fabric or carpets. You touch a low resistance surface at a lower voltage (potential) than you and you feel a shock as you discharge into it.

Your clothing material matters, the car's cloth type, moisture and if there is anything conductive you touch whilst you drive.
And the type of shoes you wear.
Also, the tyres act as an insulater and build up static until you get out and discharge to earth, the strap may well help keep the equillibrium at first but there may still remain a small unbalanced charge, hence the prick to your fingers when touching the body outside.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jun 2021 10 09:11

Have you by any chance put seat covers on the seats ?, just a thought.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 09:31

It's probably just the dry weather.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 12:03

Vera wrote: Thu, 10th Jun 2021, 9:31am It's probably just the dry weather.
I tend to agree with this ^^^ -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-