Questionable driving

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Sep 2021 11 11:35

Questionable driving

Maybe its because I’m retired and my life has slowed down a bit, but recently I’ve noticed some very questionable driving on the roads. In London its almost a blanket 20mph speed limit unless you are on a dual carriageway. If driving and obeying speed limits people behind get all agitated and either honk or overtake. It also seems if you leave a gap from the car in front so you can brake safely someone will make it their mission to fill that gap by pushing in.

Red traffic light jumpers also seem to be the norm, and again if you slow down at an amber signal someone behind will get all agitated and honk, or as I witnessed this morning overtake on the wrong side of the road just to get across the lights that are by now red.

Lots of last-minute lane changing or pushing in at junctions particularly when traffic is building up and queues are forming going on as well.
I just let it all happen and bide my time, but maybe back when I first got my licence, I had the same get in front at all costs driving attitude -Shock.png-
Apologies for the Saturday morning rant but I just got home after a reverse James Bond moment, I’m stirred but not shaken… -Forgive.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 11 12:54

Re: Questionable driving

I 100% agree with your comments. I too have noticed this behaviour. Other trick is going in the wrong lane around roundabouts just to get past you. Treating some roundabouts as if they have more than one lane even if they don't just to get in front. People are driving like there is no tomorrow. It is though after lockdown, they have forgotten the rules of the road. They probably know the Police are too busy catching up on their 75,000 unsolved crimes.

I'm retired too. It has made me much more patient and so what if I am caught in a traffic jam and it takes an extra 15 minutes to get home.

I enjoy driving, it is one of my pleasures in life. But all this bad driving makes it more stressful and less enjoyable.

Something I did when I was younger in a hilly town as Hastings was to be prepared for the hills and be in the right gear before you hit the hill. If you hit a hill (30mph zone) in 4th, you'd loose momentum and by the time you changed gear found yourself having to floor it to maintain 30mph. If you slipped it into 3rd on the flat, you could maintain 30pmh all the way up. But since switching to electric, I no longer have to do this (with no gearbox you can't). It is as though having a gear stick makes you drive differently. Furthermore, the additional revs going up in third gave you a bit of excitement.

There does still seem to be a young segment of drivers who still think the more noise their car makes, the fatter the exhaust pipe/s is and the lower to the ground their car is, Is COOL. I once heard that by fitting a fat exhaust pipe, they were making up for their own inadequacy.

A lad who parks across the road from me has a VW Polo. He has fitted a new front grill (removing the VW badge but the half circle in the bonnet remains), lowered the suspension and fitted over wide wheels that clearly exceed the width of the bodywork by at least 3" (He'll get caught eventually). He has fitted a Cherry exhaust pipe and often sits outside revving his engine for an hour or more going nowhere. When he does go out and returns, there is often the deep base sound from his stereo (we don't all want to hear his ghastly taste in music). I think it is all down to "Look at me, I'm a pratt". All that exhaust noise and showing off, he has probably only got a 1L engine. He must have spent £1000's on accessories to make his car look 'COOL' but he will never get that back when he sells it (if he manages to sell it before he crashes and burns).

The other annoying thing is cars that overshoot give-ways to force you to let them in.

Now don't you start me off...

Hay, it must be a Saturday thing. Moany Saturday. -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 11 14:51

Just to put this into a proper respective it is drivers of all ages in all makes of cars and vans and that includes lorries, now we have got that out of the way todays modern driving is diabolical and some are using our roads as there own personal race track.

The art of driving professionally has gone and so has any skills they may or may not have learnt, once you pass your test it says you are competent enough to drive not that you are experienced enough to drive as that takes years of honing your skills and acquiring that sixth sense feeling.

Look at any youtube dash cam filming and there they are the idiots in front, behind and along side you who miss having a near fatal collision by seconds because of their impatient driving habits, not even common sense is used and you wonder how on earth they ever passed a driving test or eye test when you meet one coming at you around the wrong way of a roundabout.

I too am retired and still enjoy driving and like a lot of you always keep my life space back from the car in front and abide the two second rule yet you see it time and time again so near the rear end of a car they would stand no chance of reacting quick enough if the car in front brakes suddenly.

Now on a lighter note and the old saying "There is never a coper around when you want one", well ther was for me and my brother who is by the way a white van man but happy to say in name only, we came up to a delivery van parked up and negotiated around it and as we were pulling in front of it a car came the other way very fast and stopped right on our front bumper and refused to back up so we could move the last foot and get by.
Well a teleporter driven by a farmer pulled up behind the car and said if he did not back up he would dump it over a hedge and the driver would still not back up, and then who comes around the bend behind the teleporter a lovely big police car and after talking to the driver he parked his car some distance back told the teleporter to reverse back and the idiot of a driver to reverse and pull over by his police car as he was booking him.

We finished our mnouver and as we drove by the cops book was out the driver was arguing with the cop and we all went on our merry way, well done police. -Thumb_up- -Success.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2021 11 17:23

I remember the old Public Information Film "Only A Fool Breaks The 2 Second Rule". Not sure younger drivers would know that, but I have seen white road markings telling you to keep the car in front 1 line space ahead.

I'm still learning. Like it is no longer the case that you hold your hands on the steering wheel at 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock due to the fitting of air bags. It is now 9 O'clock and 3 O'clock (I think!). There have been a few new road signs added too since I leant to drive. Not sure I'd fare very well when it comes to stopping distances now they are all in metric. -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 13 07:47

Just a question- so what is worse, a driver driving too fast (5-10 over the road limit) or a driver driving erratically and too slow?. I'm not young, but there seems to be so many drivers driving really slow, thus causing drivers to get frustrated and thus do over taking manoeuvres making them appear to be boy racers. Typical is driving at below 40 in 60 and constantly braking on straight roads then accelerating when going into a 30. I don't drive a fast car- the exact opposite, but seeing some drivers out for a Sunday drive 7 days a week seems the norm. I know speed kills, it's purely a question as to how traffic flow can be significantly effected by super cautious drivers.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2021 13 08:23

That is an interesting question. I should add that a speed limit is the maximum you should drive, not a target. One should always drive at a speed that is appropriate for the road conditions and reduce your speed in wet/slippery conditions due to extended stopping distances or when there is poor visibility like in fog or at night. Admittedly there are some drivers who do drive more slowly, but I'd rather they drove more slowly than at a faster speed that they are not comfortable with and were not in full control of the vehicle.

I was told when I had my minibus training, if you got a car behind you pushing you to go faster (driving up your rear), to actually slow down and let them overtake you if they want to (although they will probably overtake dangerously). It is best to slow down more to let them pass. You should not be intimidated by a driver up your rear. I was reminded of how many passengers lives you were responsible for. I was also told to consider the comfort of your passengers especially disabled passengers in wheelchairs.

I know what you mean though, we have a stretch of straight 60mph road that then goes down to 30mph. Yet many drivers will travel at 40-50mph in the 60mph section and continue to do that speed when they hit the 30mph stretch. I slow down to 30mph and they go soaring up the hill at 40+.

Reminds me when the driving instructor put a bowl with a ping pong ball on the bonnet. You had to drive smoothly and gently to keep the ball in the bowl. If the ball fell out, you'd get a telling off (actually, thinking about it I think it was a golf ball lol). -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 13 09:30

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 13th Sep 2021, 8:23am
I know what you mean though, we have a stretch of straight 60mph road that then goes down to 30mph. Yet many drivers will travel at 40-50mph in the 60mph section and continue to do that speed when they hit the 30mph stretch. I slow down to 30mph and they go soaring up the hill at 40+.
Thats exactly what I see every day, on Saturday I overtook a 45mph merchant on a clear open road, was quite a way ahead of them entering a 40mph, a few hundred metres later when I entered a 30 they were right behind me, happens all the time -Confused.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Sep 2021 13 10:44

I drive keeping up with traffic but adhering to speed limits, if the limit is 40 then I drive at 40 and so on. It’s the 20 mph limit I find troublesome, if you keep to 20 mph you are frowned upon by other road users by boot hugging, sounding of the horn and possibly dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.

However, approaching a speed camera, it all calms down, but after the camera its whacky races again.

This is all on single lane roads in a built-up area (London) with parked cars either side of the road and traffic signals every 200 metres.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 13 13:17

Driving standards have always been poor.

You can blame people if you like, but with a greater traffic density there are more people driving in the same space. Driving is one of those things that people don't like critiqued, skills are over estimated and no one corrects your errors or habits until after 60 odd years you stop driving.

Todays younger drivers are better trained than any drivers before them altho they suffer the same issue of never having any training after thier test just as thier predecessors have.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 14 09:06

10-15 years ago I always would bracket 4-wheel drive drivers as those that would make my hackles rise. If ever there was a queue on the motorway and traffic had to get into a single lane it would always be these drivers that would whizz up the empty road and queue jump. These cars seem to have become the car of choice for many in the last few years and I don't do much motorway driving now to know if it is still an issue.

I went to Chester a few weeks back and went into a multi-storey car park. It was obviously built to keep costs to a minimum as space was restricted. With all of the longer 4-wheel drives in every other parking space along on one level, it prevented two cars passing and caused a log jam until cars at the back started to reverse. It was bedlam.