I'm back after taking a short break

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 15 01:19

I'm back after taking a short break

Absolute nightmare. Taking what is supposed to be a quiet relaxing week in the New Forest. My first venture out since lockdown.

Really heavy traffic all the way. Roadwork everywhere. M27 has a 50mph speed limit and narrow lanes and concrete barriers all the way. Many white nuckle moments when lorries leave a fag papers width either side the lane. To say I was stressed would be an understatement.

Finally got here and time to charge up. Went to charge up at a BP Polar rapid charger in Lymington, tried CCS 3 times, no go. Tried Type 2, wasn't having it.

Drove to Brockenhurst Rhinefield hotel, BP Polar again, same problem. Tried resetting it, had to wait 10mins for it to reset, same problem. BP Polar have replaced Ecotricity as the most unreliable charging company on the planet stakes in my experience.

Thankfully, the Pod-Point chargers at the Holiday park we are staying at are working. Just gonna take a while at 11kw. Lots of EVs here. I'm kind hogging it at the moment.

ZapMap shows loads of rapid chargers in Bournemouth but almost every one is out of order. The charging infrastructure has got to be better than this if they expect everyone to go electric.

Any way, day 2, after a stressful journey down, a day in the New Forest I have calmed down and I am starting to chill out. Had a nice picnic out today. Went to Burley and visited the Covern of Witch's shop. Drove the Rhinefield Ornamental Drive. Got back to camp and charged up to 100% ready for tomorrow.

Off to Exbury Gardens today for long walk and a ride on their steam train (with a diesel boiler)

20210913_164006.jpg
Screenshot_20210915-012842_PodPoint.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 08:11

Re: I'm back after taking a short break

Enjoy your break CT. You deserve it.. -Like.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 08:49

Enjoy your break CT.

I couldn't contemplate owning an EV at the moment. Your comments make me think nEVer! I park on the road outside my house at the moment and have no way of charging at home. The infrastructure really needs to outpace the rise of EVs rather than lag behind (and ultimately stifle it).
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 08:55

Dexter wrote: Wed, 15th Sep 2021, 8:49am Enjoy your break CT.

I couldn't contemplate owning an EV at the moment. Your comments make me think nEVer! I park on the road outside my house at the moment and have no way of charging at home. The infrastructure really needs to outpace the rise of EVs rather than lag behind (and ultimately stifle it).
It will always lag behind when it is private companies that manage them. They are simply not going to invest in infrastructure when there isn't maximum return.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 09:02

Dexter wrote: Wed, 15th Sep 2021, 8:49am Enjoy your break CT.

exactly my thinking!
our car goes in for mot & service next Friday and we're going to Newcastle on Saturday am (185 miles each way) so i told the wife not to let them give us an ev as a courtesy car.
http://www.knightsofskirbeck.co.uk Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 09:19

Nice one CT. We love the New Forest. We usually stay about 2 miles from Burley - in Bransgore. We have friends who live there. Now if you want to see some cars, you need to go to Beaulieu motor museum. Lymington is nice (as you probably found out). We sail to the I O Wight from there. Enjoy your time in that special place.
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Sep 2021 15 09:59

Enjoy your break CT -Like.png-

People including me say EV’s are rubbish although it’s strictly not true, the cars are fine it’s the infrastructure that is currently rubbish. It seems from your comments that CHAdeMO might currently be more reliable than CCS (EV speak for charge pump plugs) Leaf 1, e-Niro 0 -Big grin.png-

It currently takes a brave person to venture into EV ownership, backup plans are a must if long journeys are to be undertaken. Most people I speak to wouldn’t even consider EV ownership stating it’s too constrictive, and the ABC rule (Always Be Charging) is completely out of the question for them.
I can echo Rockstar’s comments, Beaulieu motor museum is a great place to visit although it’s been years since I last visited -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 10:21

Enjoy your break.

As for the electric car bit, as mentioned by others, that is a big reason a lot of people (myself included) aren't interested in switching.

We went to Cornwall in the summer, and other than the services, didn't really see a charge point anywhere we went other than Mevagissey where they had a few charging bays in the big car park on the way in.

If the rollout fails, it will be the infrastructure that kills it.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 15 10:24

Have a good breal m8 and defo go to the motor museum it is awsom, enjoy and relax. -Like.png- -Thumb_up-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 18 00:02

All in all, I had a really nice week. Left at 5am to try to make the journey easier so I thought. At 6am once on the M27 it was bedlam and the early morning sun was a right pain too. It is also Goodwood weekend and I was stuck in none moving traffic for an hour. I don't think I'll be making that journey again in a hurry.

All the cities along the coast, Brighton, Worthing, Portsmouth and Southampton makes for very heavy going.

My main fear with the 2 failed chargers on day one was maybe I had a fault with the car and it wouldn't charge on any rapid charger. So tonight, I went to an Instavolt rapid charger locally and the car charged up to 80% in 20 minutes (@ 47kw max) without a problem. So the fault was with the chargers down in the forest.

20210917_223300 - Copy.jpg

All told, I did 580 miles in 5 days and it cost me £17.48. The car performed brilliantly. With 2 passengers (me and the wife) and a boot full of bags (The wife packed everything but the kitchen sink) the car was exceptionally comfortable. Back home with no load she can be a bit jerky over rough lumps and bumps (pot holes) in the road. But with the added weight it seemed to smooth things out. Considering she is already a heavy car with the 64kwh battery it shows that the suspension is tuned for the additional weight.

I didn't go to the motor museum. I've been twice before and they now charge £25 for seniors, so that would have been £50 for the two of us. I know I'm a cheap skate lol. Oh, and the 3 destination chargers at Beaulieu are covered up "Out of service" - "Device Error" according to Zapmap. And guess who operate them? Yep, you guessed it, they are run by BP Polar. Not a very good advert for the National Motor Museum is it.

I'm beginning to suspect that BP are deliberately sabotaging the EV charging network to evoke negative comments on social media platforms. Well, they are an oil company and like the tobacco industry, Can they be trusted to operate fairly? I watched this weeks Panorama.

img-1451108824.jpg

Instead, I did what is called The Tall Tree Trail through the forest. That was free. I've really done some walking on this holiday. So much so, had a bit of chaffing and got a huge blister (which burst).

It was really nice to be out in the fresh air and the weather was a bonus. Actually got a bit of a tan. Not bad for September -Big grin.png-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)