Petrol rationing

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 23 18:40

Petrol rationing

It looks like BP are suggesting it is about to start petrol rationing as some of its forecourts have had to close. The government have said people should buy petrol as normal (So no panic buying).

It is all due to the lack of HGV drivers. London and the South East are affected the worst (apparently).

Some comments were made about the price of petrol which are likely to rise as firms are offering HGV drivers an up to 25% pay increases to try to attract existing lorry drivers in the UK back to the industry.

It sounds like we are going to have a difficult winter.... -JawDropped.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 08:29

Re: Petrol rationing

I do agree a difficult winter is on the way.
However lets not forget that the government had lots of prior warning that this would happen and has done next to nothing about it..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 09:01

Don't have to drive electricity tankers around so maybe people will accelerate thier move to electric veh and have the lorry drivers move food around the country.
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 10:44

Big queue outside the petrol station on my way to work this morning. Can't help but think there would be much less of a problem if the press weren't reporting it as a huge crisis?
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Sep 2021 24 10:48

steveg wrote: Fri, 24th Sep 2021, 10:44am Big queue outside the petrol station on my way to work this morning. Can't help but think there would be much less of a problem if the press weren't reporting it as a huge crisis?
I agree, panic buying is definitely starting around here -Zip.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2021 24 10:48

What I don't understand is where have all the foreign workers gone. I didn't think any rules changed for those already working in the country.

Our vet has 5 surgeries in the area and 4 have had to close leaving just one. When my wife asked why they had closed, the receptionist said most of our trained vets were from Poland and they have all gone back home. So it is not just lorry drivers. There seems to be a mass exodus of foreign workers generally. Farms can't get fruit pickers etc. What has made them all leave? I can't believe that it is just due to us leaving the EU. There must be something that has changed and the government needs to look at this to entice them back.

There is something like a million vacancies in the UK. Yet 1000's of people are still claiming unemployment benefit. Something is wrong and it needs fixing.

I've never known a time like this. I remember when Mrs T was in power, jobs were so scarce that it was really difficult to find employment.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 11:26

Wasn't it that with Brexit the workers could register or apply for work visas.
Maybe someone may know more
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2021 24 11:32

My wife has just got back from doing the weekly shop. She says cars are queuing up at petrol stations everywhere in town. She says she is panicking now as she only has a half tank and is worried she won't be able to fill up. -Angry.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 11:44

steveg wrote: Fri, 24th Sep 2021, 10:44am Big queue outside the petrol station on my way to work this morning. Can't help but think there would be much less of a problem if the press weren't reporting it as a huge crisis?
I was thinking the same thing the press love 'Making the news' and their are people out their who buy right in to it time and time again.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2021 24 13:06

As always the quickest and most guaranteed way to get people to start panic buying is to ask them not to start panic buying. The people who still have spare rooms filled floor to ceiling with toilet rolls from last year will not have learned anything and will be out in force again trying to buy up all the petrol.