Powering up Schools for the future

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Jack-the-Bug
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 16 17:11

Re: Powering up Schools for the future

twiglets wrote: Wed, 15th Jun 2022, 3:54pm We looked at it, and last time I posted the comments back were you don't have a petrol station at the school so why do you need a electric charge point? I understood this therefore no electric point going in here at the moment. Then you will get the staff expecting it for free.
Exactly what we thought - so not doing anything here.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 16 17:29

Time at work is when people can be charging their cars not on the way home at a petrol station like you can with petrol or deisel. It's a change that most seem mentally unprepared for.

Refuelling your car will have to be done differently and anywhere your car parks for a decent amount of time will become a refuelling station. It makes sense and ultimately the car owner will be paying for it, either by paying for the electricity and or through tax.
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 06:45

AndyCornwall wrote: Thu, 16th Jun 2022, 5:29pm Time at work is when people can be charging their cars not on the way home at a petrol station like you can with petrol or deisel. It's a change that most seem mentally unprepared for.
That's something so many people refuses to understand, to effectively move a way from petrol diesel they need to be accessible in people's places of work and schools will play a big part of that. Most of the issue people have mentioned are non existent really or easily manageable. I think most just want to find reasons against them
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 17 08:30

AndyCornwall wrote: Thu, 16th Jun 2022, 5:29pm Refuelling your car will have to be done differently and anywhere your car parks for a decent amount of time will become a refuelling station. It makes sense and ultimately the car owner will be paying for it, either by paying for the electricity and or through tax.
This is exactly the charging method I’ve used for more than 6 years of owning EV’s, I found it easy to adapt to.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 08:49

Ash wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 6:45am That's something so many people refuses to understand, to effectively move a way from petrol diesel they need to be accessible in people's places of work and schools will play a big part of that. Most of the issue people have mentioned are non existent really or easily manageable. I think most just want to find reasons against them
Whilst that is a valid point, To be accessible by the community as the report is stating then charge points would need to be placed outside of the school gates otherwise there is no way to secure the premises.
We do not have enough car parking as it is, I have frankly given up trying to manage the car park and now let it be a free for all as the CO's seem to have an attitude that they are entitled to a parking space regardless of if the car park is full or of the need to get delivery vehicles in and out of it. When they move cones placed out to park their car in the space then give me attitude when i ask them to move their car as the space was for XXXX, what else can be done?
How is this going to work when CO X wants to charge their car but CO Y is in the space and won't move? or worse still a parent has left their car there whilst they pop to see their mate down the road?

These are legitimate concerns not me trying to find reasons against EV's.
I do support the reduction of fossil fuel use but only if there is a viable transport system that can be cheaply, easily and conveniently accessed to reduce the use of personal vehicles and that means ALL vehicles, regardless of how they are powered.

For reference I cycle to work.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 12:22

Ash wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 6:45am That's something so many people refuses to understand, to effectively move a way from petrol diesel they need to be accessible in people's places of work and schools will play a big part of that. Most of the issue people have mentioned are non existent really or easily manageable. I think most just want to find reasons against them
How would I easily manage the charging for cars of approx 100 members of staff?
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 14:41

Right now, we are at the beginning of this change and so it's hard to believe that charge points can be numerous enough to be able to cater for so many.

If you have 60 or more car park spaces, as we do, I would expect half of those to have chargers in time and charging points to become common place everywhere.
At work they don't need to be rapid chargers either, nor expensive.

Your electricity supply will limit your charging capacity and also I don't think anyone needs to manage the charging, the system will do all that for you, including payment.

I think this will be the same for many businesses and in 15 years the streets and carparks will be filled with glowing charge points...pretty.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 15:14

Vera wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 8:49am Whilst that is a valid point, To be accessible by the community as the report is stating then charge points would need to be placed outside of the school gates otherwise there is no way to secure the premises.
We do not have enough car parking as it is, I have frankly given up trying to manage the car park and now let it be a free for all as the CO's seem to have an attitude that they are entitled to a parking space regardless of if the car park is full or of the need to get delivery vehicles in and out of it. When they move cones placed out to park their car in the space then give me attitude when i ask them to move their car as the space was for XXXX, what else can be done?
How is this going to work when CO X wants to charge their car but CO Y is in the space and won't move? or worse still a parent has left their car there whilst they pop to see their mate down the road?

I do support the reduction of fossil fuel use but only if there is a viable transport system that can be cheaply, easily and conveniently accessed to reduce the use of personal vehicles and that means ALL vehicles, regardless of how they are powered.

60! car parking places...

We have 36, of which one is a disabled space and a further two are for the Head and deputy head..

bearing in mind we have 65-70 members of staff you can start to see the problem with dedicating 1 or 2 of these to EV charge points.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 17:53

Nail wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 12:22pm How would I easily manage the charging for cars of approx 100 members of staff?
It wouldn't be your job to manage and I highly doubt you have 100 electric cars in your workplace
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 17 18:07

Vera wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 8:49am Whilst that is a valid point, To be accessible by the community as the report is stating then charge points would need to be placed outside of the school gates otherwise there is no way to secure the premises.

Opening it for members of the public for the majority of schools will be a bad idea, and can easily be prevented like our has done by ensuring they are only usable by needing to use the work email address for the app needed for the charger but it's not on you if someone is parked in the space and refuses to move. The space is first come first served and if they don't want to solve it between them that is on them. Workplaces and shopping/entertainment venues will play a key role in making EVs more accessible