Powering up Schools for the future

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 20 17:51

Re: Powering up Schools for the future

Vera wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 5:15pm I cannot wait for the radio call to say "there's a 'Normal' car parked in the charging bay can you move it please..." [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]
Sadly it will be one of many calls if real life situations are mirrored within school car parks. From my experience most school staff will park anywhere they can squeeze their car in with little regard to anyone else...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 21 07:40

Vera wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 5:15pm I cannot wait for the radio call to say "there's a 'Normal' car parked in the charging bay can you move it please..." [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]
Yeah, but it won't be your job to manage....

[Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2022 21 08:18

Being ICE'd is a common problem. Some counties have made it an illegal offence. In some areas, users have to pay to park in the space and time limits are imposed.

Then again, I've read on occasions EV owners have got their own back by blocking access to petrol pumps to make a point. Not that I approve of this kind of tit-for-tat action. https://thedriven.io/2019/12/12/electri ... g-problem/

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 21 10:40

thecaretaker wrote: Tue, 21st Jun 2022, 8:18am Being ICE'd is a common problem. Some counties have made it an illegal offence. In some areas, users have to pay to park in the space and time limits are imposed.
I’ve also witnessed many EV’s and PHEV’s parked in charging bays but not charging, I once tried to help a Jaguar iPace owner release a charge plug that would not release from his car. I later found out he parked up plugged his car in but didn’t instigate a charge just to get the free parking. The charger locked on to his car and would not release. I left him ranting over the phone to the charge company who told him it could take 4 hours to get an engineer out to sort out the issue.

I’ve also seen an old Ford Transit parked in a charging bay with the charge cable disappearing under the gap in the partially open bonnet. Because parking in London is so expensive people get up to all sorts of tricks to avoid paying for it.
[Neutral.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 21 17:06

Technically speaking with a built in battery charger charging the starter battery then you are in fact charging your car. [Like.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 21 18:39

Vera wrote: Tue, 21st Jun 2022, 5:06pm Technically speaking with a built in battery charger charging the starter battery then you are in fact charging your car. [Like.png]
[Big grin.png] True but 400-volts DC would charge that poor 12-volt starter battery very rapidly I think [Scared.png] [Big grin.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 07:33

Had the quote through for our 2 Rolec charge points yesterday.
they are very close to the supply within 3m at most and the Grand total (and i mean that term literally) is a mere £4k.. [JawDropped.png]
Talk about a licence to print money..
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 08:50

Yeah I think companies will be taking the Michael for a while.

With projects like this I have normally gone for a tame electrician and similar groundworker to do the things necessary.

Companies price on the market and the equipment is not that expensive and at a days work for each trade, anything more than 1500GBP is wrong.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 09:20

AndyCornwall wrote: Wed, 22nd Jun 2022, 8:50am Yeah I think companies will be taking the Michael for a while.

With projects like this I have normally gone for a tame electrician and similar groundworker to do the things necessary.

Companies price on the market and the equipment is not that expensive and at a days work for each trade, anything more than 1500GBP is wrong.
Not even any groundworks. From the supply along an internal wall in the store room and through the wall to where the charge point is fixed to.
Taking the Michael indeed.

The problem is that you have to use "Approved" contractors. [Scared.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 09:22

Vera wrote: Wed, 22nd Jun 2022, 7:33am Had the quote through for our 2 Rolec charge points yesterday.
Looks like they’ve gone for a dumb charger then, just over £400 each. The installation does seem a bit expensive though.

Btw, its technically wrong to call them chargers as they just pass the power on to the EV, there are various safety PEN and earth sensor circuits within the “charger” that justify the price. The actual charger is located within the vehicle.