Powering up Schools for the future

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 09:39

Re: Powering up Schools for the future

Keyolder wrote: Wed, 22nd Jun 2022, 9:22am Looks like they’ve gone for a dumb charger then, just over £400 each. The installation does seem a bit expensive though.

Btw, its technically wrong to call them chargers as they just pass the power on to the EV, there are various safety PEN and earth sensor circuits within the “charger” that justify the price. The actual charger is located within the vehicle.
Which is why I called them Charge points.. [Thumb_up.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 22 10:09

Vera wrote: Wed, 22nd Jun 2022, 9:39am Which is why I called them Charge points.. [Thumb_up.png]
[Big grin.png] Yes, I wasn't trying to correct you though [Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 14:47

Keyolder wrote: Wed, 22nd Jun 2022, 9:22am Looks like they’ve gone for a dumb charger then, just over £400 each. The installation does seem a bit expensive though.

Btw, its technically wrong to call them chargers as they just pass the power on to the EV, there are various safety PEN and earth sensor circuits within the “charger” that justify the price. The actual charger is located within the vehicle.
They are very overpriced for their function to my mind. They are only made complicated if they contain the logic required for selling the service and even then i think there's a significant novelty margin added.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 14:51

Even Screwfix have 7.5Kw units for under 500GBP. 3 Phase chargers are more expensive (less popular too)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2022 22 17:27

I have a dumb Rolec. I didn't think they are allowed to sell the dumb ones now.

Dumb is simple though. Less to go wrong.

1111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 22 22:28

Unless there are dedicated payperuse points, why would staff want to recharge from school (except getting it free of charge of course) surely overnight at home would be easier ?

Schools dont provide petrol or deisel atm do they.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 15:40

No they don't but the way people will have to refuel will change.

I would suggest that if you could now, instead of going to the garage to fill up, park your car at work and when you came back to it, it was refuelled...that might be something people could get on with. Costs are pretty low per mile for EVs.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jun 2022 23 20:28

Jubbs wrote: Wed, 22nd Jun 2022, 10:28pm Unless there are dedicated payperuse points, why would staff want to recharge from school (except getting it free of charge of course) surely overnight at home would be easier ?

Schools dont provide petrol or deisel atm do they.
One reason is that approximately one third of people in the UK live in accommodation where they will not be able to install any charge points due to lack of garage/driveway etc. so many will be reliant on some form of public or work premises ones.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 21:36

Handyman wrote: Thu, 23rd Jun 2022, 8:28pm One reason is that approximately one third of people in the UK live in accommodation where they will not be able to install any charge points due to lack of garage/driveway etc. so many will be reliant on some form of public or work premises ones.
I am firmly in that one third of people not having any home charging, I’ve owned an EV for almost 7 years now and survived using public charge points 100% of the time. As mentioned earlier on in the thread I incorporate charging with parking either when shopping or visiting friends. 2 hours charging on a 7kWh charge point gives me approximately a week of local driving. I only use rapid (up to 50kWh) charge points on longer trips for no more than 35 or 40 minutes at a time.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 23:04

Handyman wrote: Thu, 23rd Jun 2022, 8:28pm One reason is that approximately one third of people in the UK live in accommodation where they will not be able to install any charge points due to lack of garage/driveway etc. so many will be reliant on some form of public or work premises ones.
Fair point but i'm sure those that havent got a point at home wont be bying an EV, generally speaking, unless the gov do something to incentivise such households, esp if you are self employed.
The whole thing is ridiculous, phasing out petrol by 2025, its just a complete smoke screen for the next election.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower