Powering up Schools for the future

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 15 07:56

I guess as more staff and visitors to schools own electric vehicles, they will want to charge up. An EV charger can also be a source of income for the school. Just thinking, if schools don't install EV chargers, staff might be plugging their cars in with a cable hanging out the window connected to a 13amp socket creating a trip hazard, using none PAT tested equipment and effectively stealing electricity. Especially if an EV is low on power and the teacher doesn't have enough power to get out of the car park. We all know what teachers are like.

The UK Government has a target of 300,000 charge points being installed by 2030. The public sector, including education is expected to play a significant role in this process with up to 50,000 electric vehicle (EV) chargers to be installed at schools, colleges and universities.

A school, college or university doesn’t just close down and go quiet when lessons end. They are major centres of focus within a community. They can see more activity than most locations in any given town or city. That wide-ranging use makes them a perfect fit for EV charging stations.

https://www.bishopfleming.co.uk/insight ... ng_schools

https://www.evconnect.com/education

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 15 08:31

Re: Powering up Schools for the future

Well I think before anyone puts EV chargers in the school should have as many PV units as they can fit on their roof and if it is practical air source heat pumps to replace the gas, electric and whatever heating is in place.

Then add charging points, for the staff and the public.

There is no doubt that alot of charging points will be needed in the future, relatively near future if we all start driving electric vehicles.
timmydog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 15 08:49

hi Caretaker i cant even get money for a double socket never mind an EV charging point?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 15 08:53

So I take it these EV chargers and spaces will need to be outside the school carparks to allow them to be used by the public out of hours?

Will there be a program of upgrades to the electrical supplies of all the schools colleges and universities? I know for certain that our supply could not cope with an EV charger being added to the existing load.

It's yet another scheme dreamed up in some office in Westminster where they have no idea what they are talking about but they will spout it anyway because it makes good sound bites.. [Mad.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 15 09:22

we've been told (by head office) that we need to have 4 ev charge points installed in our (business centre) car park. trouble is, it's going to cost a fortune, as the main cable will have to run from the front of the building to the back (under concrete, grass and paving), meaning it will take several years to earn back the cost of the installation!
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jun 2022 15 11:40

Vera wrote: Wed, 15th Jun 2022, 8:53am So I take it these EV chargers and spaces will need to be outside the school carparks to allow them to be used by the public out of hours?

Will there be a program of upgrades to the electrical supplies of all the schools colleges and universities? I know for certain that our supply could not cope with an EV charger being added to the existing load.

It's yet another scheme dreamed up in some office in Westminster where they have no idea what they are talking about but they will spout it anyway because it makes good sound bites.. [Mad.png]
Teacher, sorry I can`t leave on time my cars charging, someone is using the charging space all day I can`t plug in, the charger is broken [Angry.png]
No room to park cars now without dedicated charging points, school gates would be open 24/7 for chargers!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 15 15:54

We looked at it, and last time I posted the comments back were you don't have a petrol station at the school so why do you need a electric charge point? I understood this therefore no electric point going in here at the moment. Then you will get the staff expecting it for free.
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jun 2022 15 22:29

If they put chargers here I won't be leaving the gates open for people to come and go using power points, anyone still in the carpark when I finish work will be locked in untill I open up next day or on Monday if its a Friday evening, besides our staff won't stand for it, there's not enough parking for them let alone allowing public to park here.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2022 15 23:53

I just read...

From today (15th June), ALL new homes & buildings with associated parking in England will be required to have EV charge points installed, including supermarkets and all workplaces.

New residential developments must have one 7kW charge point for every residence with a parking space.
New non-residential buildings with more than 10 parking bays must include a minimum amount of charging, with provisions for future expansion.
While the emphasis is on charging points, there is also an onus on cable routes to make it easier to install extra points in the future.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 16 09:05

Stiggy wrote: Wed, 15th Jun 2022, 10:29pm If they put chargers here I won't be leaving the gates open for people to come and go using power points, anyone still in the carpark when I finish work will be locked in untill I open up next day or on Monday if its a Friday evening, besides our staff won't stand for it, there's not enough parking for them let alone allowing public to park here.
There would be a master switch that cuts off the power so its controllable within school practices and policies.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]