Powering up Schools for the future

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 17 18:40

Re: Powering up Schools for the future

I think they mean members of the public who use the schools clubs and facilities. My school had keep fit groups, music groups, sports groups of many kinds. The school was open until 10pm most evenings and every Saturday for a music school. I assumed it meant it would be for the use of those members of the community, not open to the general public to just walk in..

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 18 09:10

Ash wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 6:07pm The space is first come first served and if they don't want to solve it between them that is on them.
This is how public charging has worked since 2011 when there were very few chargers around.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 06:47

Ash wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 5:53pm It wouldn't be your job to manage and I highly doubt you have 100 electric cars in your workplace
How do you know it wouldn't be for me to manage and even if not, how would the school manage it easily? You said it would be easy to manage. I'm curious on real world answers.

We may not have 100 yet but that would be the plan in the future. Instead of 100, how would we manage 10? (and we don't even have that - we did have 1 but they've sold it and gone back to petrol....)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 08:02

Well late on Friday I was informed that we are to get 2 chargers and someone will be coming to measure up.
This is a directive straight from the MAT that all schools in the trust should have 2 electric charge points fitted.

Now guess who's CEO has just bought an EV..... [Confused.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 08:11

thecaretaker wrote: Fri, 17th Jun 2022, 6:40pm I think they mean members of the public who use the schools clubs and facilities. My school had keep fit groups, music groups, sports groups of many kinds. The school was open until 10pm most evenings and every Saturday for a music school. I assumed it meant it would be for the use of those members of the community, not open to the general public to just walk in..
Having read the report I'm pretty sure that the Gov intends that the chargers are to be available to the community at large, not just the school community.

Our school only has a few after school lettings so most of the time the chargers would be safely locked behind school gates after 18.30 to 19.00 and absolutely locked away at the weekends.. Neutral.png]
The only real option is to put the chargers outside the school gates which would mean planning, tarmac and new fencing not to mention putting the charge points further away from the school electrical supply. Now who do we all think will be paying for all this?? [Confused.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 09:42

Vera wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 8:02am Well late on Friday I was informed that we are to get 2 chargers and someone will be coming to measure up.
This is a directive straight from the MAT that all schools in the trust should have 2 electric charge points fitted.

I know of an another academy that went this route, shortly afterwards someone in high office turned up in a shiny new Tesla [zip.png]

I doubt they will install dumb chargers (plug in and charge) they will be (smart chargers) controlled by an app, RFID card or dedicated email allocation so charging can be monitored and monetised.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 09:56

Vera wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 8:02am Well late on Friday I was informed that we are to get 2 chargers and someone will be coming to measure up.

I hope the charger comes with a reserved sign as well!
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jun 2022 20 12:41

Nail wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 9:56am I hope the charger comes with a reserved sign as well!
I was going to say what happens when members of staff are using them [Big grin.png] obviously not there just for CEO [Wink.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 16:46

Nail wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 6:47am How do you know it wouldn't be for me to manage and even if not, how would the school manage it easily? You said it would be easy to manage. I'm curious on real world answers.

We may not have 100 yet but that would be the plan in the future. Instead of 100, how would we manage 10? (and we don't even have that - we did have 1 but they've sold it and gone back to petrol....)
They are first come first serve, much like they are everywhere where else that has them fitted, across all the schools in my mat that have them they do not need managing at all. The only thing we get is the occasional questions from people on how it works. The units are done and managed by podpoint,chargemaater etc the only management the school/ trust has to do is set the cost of charging for the users.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 20 17:15

Nail wrote: Mon, 20th Jun 2022, 9:56am I hope the charger comes with a reserved sign as well!
I cannot wait for the radio call to say "there's a 'Normal' car parked in the charging bay can you move it please..." [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]