Top tips on saving petrol/diesel

Chat about Cars, Bikes, Boats, Railways, Minibuses, Tardis or any other type of transportation...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2022 23 05:14

Top tips on saving petrol/diesel

As fuel prices keep rising, I thought it would be useful to post things you can all do to get the most out of your petrol or diesel. Maybe you could share some of your top tips! Every little helps.
  1. Firstly, avoid travelling miles to find the cheapest fuel station. You'd be surprised how much fuel is wasted driving to and from a fuel station over the coarse of a year. Try to fill up when you are already out like doing the weekly shop. Travelling further to use a cheaper filling station may counteract any saving you might make.
  2. Don't fill your tank to the brim. Fuel is heavy stuff and if you do not intend doing long journeys, it is more economical to only half or quarter fill you tank. A full tank can cost you almost the same as carrying an additional passenger.
  3. Make sure your fuel cap is tight and in good condition. Fuel evaporates especially in hot weather and a loose fitting fuel cap or one that doesn't seal correctly could mean you are leaching fuel. For safety too, most modern cars create a negative pressure in the tank. When you release your fuel cap, you should hear the sound like you are unscrewing a fizzy drinks bottle as the air rushes in. Replace your filler cap if it doesn't.
  4. Take off the roof rack if you are not using it to carry loads. Roof racks cause additional drag and increase your fuel usage.
  5. Make sure your car tyres are inflated to the correct levels. Under inflated tyres will increase your consumption. Always check your tyres on a level surface and when the tyres are cold.
Over to you... [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 09:37

Re: Top tips on saving petrol/diesel

Ok here goes, apologies as I’m sure all of us know all this so it’s just for information [Scared.png]

Avoid the traffic lights grand prix, smooth acceleration and deceleration is more fuel efficient, plus don’t over rev the engine, change up to the next gear as soon as you are able. Automatics sort this out for you automatically [Big grin.png]

Most modern engines have an engine management system that checks its own operation and adjusts fuel mixture and ignition timing to ensure efficient fuel usage. If you have an older vehicle, check your air filter, if its dirty or clogged the engine will consume more fuel.

Diesel engines are usually reliable although for higher mileage vehicles fuel injection systems are prone to partial or complete failure. Our school minibus although only just over a year-old developed rough idling plus a red engine management warning light on the dashboard. It was caused by a faulty fuel injector that was replaced by a mobile mechanic. I watched him plug his interrogate gizmo in and get the fault code, he also replaced the fuel filter at the same time.

Servicing is important so if you spot a service light on your dashboard its usually there to warn you of impending doom, sadly it’s probably time to open your wallet.

For the DIY shed type mechanic, with the aid of an OBD (On Board Diagnostic) dongle and a phone app you can interrogate the vehicles systems and get the code that is causing that management warning light to illuminate. And if you are brave enough and know the location of the faulty part you may be able to replace that part. I've done this a few times for friends and family with good results.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2022 23 12:38

Echoing what Keyolder said, fuel efficiency is proportionate to how far you press down with your right foot. Avoid labouring the engine. If in third gear you are having to press your right foot on the throttle more to keep up speed on a hill, it is better to go into second gear and ease off the throttle.

When on motorways, keep your speed down to 60-65mph if possible. That extra 10mph makes a huge difference to your fuel consumption and little difference to your journey time. Many Electric Vehicle owners find they can get much more range by sticking to 60.

If any of you remember the fuel crisis of 1973 I think the same applies today, the optimal speed for a car for best efficiency is 56mph (although they did impose a maximum 50mph speed limit to reduce consumption).

Be aware that air temperature, air pressure, wind speeds and rain (water on the road surface) can all effect the fuel consumption of your vehicle.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 13:30

To save money on fuel visit some websites (google them)and see what the ideas are and if they suit your lifestyle.

Stuff gets interpreted and reposted. An example would be 56 mph is not the most efficient speed but it is better than 75mph, which was the 2 speeds tested, 56 and 75 back in the 70s.
If you have a mpg gauge in your car you can see the most efficient speed is around 45, at least it is for my Leon.

That's just an example of stuff we have all been told over the years and there are more things like that, esp with modern vehicles that don't work in the way we would expect.

Of course some things are obvious laws of physics, if you are lighter you need less energy to move it around for example.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 15:03

Or just get a bike...
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2022 23 15:12

Vera wrote: Thu, 23rd Jun 2022, 3:03pm Or just get a bike...
I assume you mean a push bike. Not a Honda Goldwing motor bike hehehehe [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jun 2022 23 15:14

I have 5 pedal bikes and 1 motorbike, Motorbike does 60 mpg going a damn site faster than my car, acceleration not speeding in 20,30,40,50`s [Thumb_up.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 15:31

A bike is great if the trip is suitable, like walking might be for other trips.

Cars have their place and in todays world there are many that could not function without them or with much greater hardship.

Roll on auto drive bubble car taxi things for everyone.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 16:00

thecaretaker wrote: Thu, 23rd Jun 2022, 3:12pm I assume you mean a push bike. Not a Honda Goldwing motor bike hehehehe [Big grin.png]
A Teacher at our school had a Honda Gold Wing, all fully dressed with fairing panniers rear box and rack. What a great looking machine, it sounded good as well.
The Teacher regularly toured with his wife, he told me they have been almost everywhere [Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2022 23 19:58

Drive your wife's car, does my Kuga's consumption the world of good [Like.png]