Block paving

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 08 09:32

Block paving

Hi, I've decided to have my old concrete hard standing, front garden and path at home block paved. I got some quotes and emailed the successful firm last Friday. Got an email yesterday to say they will start on Monday and the work will take 2 weeks.

I tried to do my homework before hand by checking Buy with confidence trading standards and Checkatrade. The firm I used has 116 reviews on Checkatrade, all positive and a satisfaction rating of 9.73 with 100% invoice history. On Buy with confidence they have 5 stars for all categories. They have been going since 2013. They have both £5,000,000 insurances. They are all City & Guild qualified and are CRB checked.

I won't be able to plug my car in for the duration, so hope I won't have to travel too much. Although I hope I can get out of the house without getting slubbed up with mud as the noise of the pneumatic drills will probably drive me out.

I'm on a slope, so they are having to build 2 retaining walls either side. That is why it is going to take 2 weeks (and cost as much as it is). It should look good when it's done and make the house more desirable (if not add value). Not that I have any plans on moving at my age.

I wonder if any of you have had block paving done and if there is anything I should keep an eye out for?

Annotation 2019-05-08 093818.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 08 11:17

Re: Block paving

I was going to mentioned that it is laid so there are no puddles but as your's is a slope no problem there CT. [Wink.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 14 08:28

The guys have started work this morning. I wish I had kept my ear defenders when I retired. They are drilling the old concrete path and car stand up. The entire house is shaking and the noise.... That'll upset the neighbours [Big grin.png] [Big grin.png]

The dog is looking very worried. I've never seen him be so affectionate.

Should only take a few days to drill (I hope). Laying the blocks and building the walls should be much quieter. Who's idea was this... [Scared.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

scrubadub
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 15:57

We have block paving, once a year or so I clean and then brush sand over it. Get a few weeds popping up but they're no hassle to sort. I have found myself watching youtube power washing video's .....very satisfying but I really need to get a life [Forgive.png] [Forgive.png] [Blush.png]