New school move.

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Carlosdejackal
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 14:04

New school move.

Good afternoon all, thanks for the add, i can see this site is going to be so useful to myself.
We are due to move into a brand new school May 2021 and was wondering if anybody else has ever moved into a new school, and what little surprises my be waiting for me. -Hah.png-
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 14:33

Re: New school move.

Only had experience of new buildings built on our site, but the same will apply. Make sure you have a full set of O&M manuals, and take your own notes when attending handover meetings and walkthroughs.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 16:04

If you can get access to the site (you usually can if you have all the right PPE) ask the sparks/ heating engineers etc about how things are controlled etc. They are usually happy to help you with any questions you might have. Like JHolden says, if you attend the handover meetings and speak to the architect and M AND E designers, this can give you a good understanding of what is what. Hopefully you wont have any real issues if it is all brand new, but get someone to show you physically if possible. I have been scratching my head recently about the controllers for the new air con units we have and it all became a lot clearer when the installation engineer ran through it with me. -Success.png-
Oh, and welcome to the site BTW!
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 17:24

My advice would be to check everything is working as much as possible and get evidence and take pictures of anything that needs to go on the snagging list. I have moved into new buildings before and the rubbish I was told at times about things that were not installed correctly or hadn't been finished beggared belief, eventually got it all sorted out. Of course it depends on how reliable the builders are.
Carlosdejackal
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 10:10

Thank you all for your comments, and advise! -Like.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 10:58

Handyman wrote: Tue, 12th Jan 2021, 5:24pm My advice would be to check everything is working as much as possible and get evidence and take pictures of anything that needs to go on the snagging list. I have moved into new buildings before and the rubbish I was told at times about things that were not installed correctly or hadn't been finished beggared belief, eventually got it all sorted out. Of course it depends on how reliable the builders are.
As above check EVERYTHING you can, new sports and community building years ago, everything electrical ticked on check sheet yet the emergency light didn`t work in the boiler room, our electrician found that the standby battery hadn`t been connected -Angry.png-

Standby gas boiler for bio mass, everything ticked off list, our boiler guy was investigating a problem with it and said they couldn`t have done an emissions test as you need to put a probe in the flue and I had to drill a hole to do so!

Just because it`s ticked on a checklist doesn`t mean it`s done and a year down the line when it goes pear shaped you are left with the problem -Angry.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 11:02

Get as many of the plans as you can particularly for thinks like drainage water and power distribution.
Make sure ALL the isolation points for heating and services are marked and actually there. that way if things go wrong you'll have a good idea where to start..

Good luck
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-