How long have you been a Caretaker?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

How long have you been a Caretaker?

Less than 1 year
6%
1-5 years
15%
5-10 years
30%
10-15 years
11%
15-20 years
15%
20-25 years
7%
25-30 years
7%
More than 30 years
9%

Total votes: 54

estd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 07 16:19

Re: How long have you been a Caretaker?

26 years!!

Going (trying) for early medical retirement .
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 07:10

An incredible amount of experience on this forum.

I bet you all have some brilliant stories!
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 07:11

Would love to hear some -Big grin.png-
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 07:19

12 years this month. Half form entry primary. Only school I've worked at. It's mostly ok.
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 07:28

24 years and 2 months.
Waiting for my gold watch next year -Shock.png-
wake me up before you gogo.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 08 20:25

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 7th Jun 2021, 1:54pm Did that effect your pension much?

I know pensions around here are often worked out on the last 2 year wages. Or did they honour the wage you were on and just re-classified the job so if a new person took it they would have started on the lower amount?
There is a thing in the pension scheme where if you have had a recent cut in wages when you apply for your pension, you can apply for what is called a better year calculation. I got my original figures which were decent and used them to retire but i had to ask our payroll to provide the pension people with the better year calculation. Basically that means that they supply the pension people with the best of your wages in the last 3 years. The pension people then go through the previous 10 years wages and work out the best year to pick from and work your pension figures out from that.
In my case as i decided to take the bigger lump sum and smaller pension it worked out really well. I got an extra £15,000 on my lump sum and an extra £2,000 on my yearly pension compared to the original estimate the provided -Like.png-
This can only be done under certain circumstances though but as my wage had dropped i qualified for it to be done. It will certainly help out with the house that i am buying.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 08 22:06

magpie wrote: Tue, 8th Jun 2021, 8:25pm There is a thing in the pension scheme where if you have had a recent cut in wages when you apply for your pension, you can apply for what is called a better year calculation. I got my original figures which were decent and used them to retire but i had to ask our payroll to provide the pension people with the better year calculation. Basically that means that they supply the pension people with the best of your wages in the last 3 years. The pension people then go through the previous 10 years wages and work out the best year to pick from and work your pension figures out from that.
In my case as i decided to take the bigger lump sum and smaller pension it worked out really well. I got an extra £15,000 on my lump sum and an extra £2,000 on my yearly pension compared to the original estimate the provided -Like.png-
This can only be done under certain circumstances though but as my wage had dropped i qualified for it to be done. It will certainly help out with the house that i am buying.
Well done Magpie, I'm pleased it worked out well for you.

Onwards and upwards -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
samsmith
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 12 14:51

11 years and counting... Feels longer than that
Sam Smith

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfs on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to bleep me don't you Muriel? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog! - http://caretakersam.blog