Near miss

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with our members...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Near miss

Feb 2018 20 14:42

Post by Dragonrider » Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 2:42pm

Post by Dragonrider by Dragonrider Feb 2018 20 14:42

Walking home this lunchtime, I was on the zebra crossing near the town's station, halfway across when I realised that the car coming towards me wasn't stopping, was in fact going to fast to stop even if the driver saw me, which she didn't!

Not until she was alongside me, about 2 foot apart looking at me in total shock as she sailed past me at speed. The number of people who were about to step out on to the crossing, as all the other traffic had stopped, couldn't believe how close she had come to having me as a hood ornament!

Did she stop to apologise? Did she heck!
[Scared.png]
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Near miss

Feb 2018 20 17:20

Post by seanallen » Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 5:20pm

Post by seanallen by seanallen Feb 2018 20 17:20

Reminds me of when I was a lad, crossing the road with my granddad who was totally blind. he always said "it only counts if they get you on a black line" never understood why and still don't! [Scared.png]
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

EBJ
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 20 17:52

Post by EBJ » Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 5:52pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Feb 2018 20 17:52

That is how a life can end so tragically one way or another in a split second,an extra footstep and a life is extinct, motorist do not slow down and expect to stop rule any more, they treat crossings as an interference in their tight to continue a journey, the law needs a new charge of using a car as a lethal weapon as that driver may just as well fired a gun at you, glad you survived the incident OK, it goes to show you keep looking left and right even if you jave the right of passage. [Scared.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 20 19:19

Post by Drone » Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 7:19pm

Post by Drone by Drone Feb 2018 20 19:19

Nasty moment DR. Hope you are OK & not too badly shaken up

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Feb 2018 20 21:41

Post by Dragonrider » Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 9:41pm

Post by Dragonrider by Dragonrider Feb 2018 20 21:41

Drone wrote:
Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 7:19pm
Nasty moment DR. Hope you are OK & not too badly shaken up
Fine thanks Drone, hasn't bothered me strangely enough, might be different tomorrow, but a couple of feet more, or just another second, and things could have been quite different. But the look on her face when she realised that there was someone on the crossing was priceless!
it goes to show you keep looking left and right even if you have the right of passage
Thanks Jack, I don't trust anyone on the roads any more. Even though one line of traffic had stopped, I try never to assume that the other line will stop or that they see me, and I'm a big lad still.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Feb 2018 20 22:31

Post by thecaretaker » Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 10:31pm

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Feb 2018 20 22:31

I confess, I was driving out of Battle one time and didn't see a little girl on her own in the shadows on the other side of the crossing. There were rows of parked cars on the opposite side of the crossing on my side of the crossing obscuring my view of the pavement. The cars on the other side of the crossing I assumed were also parked. Nope, they had actually stopped at the crossing to allow the little girl to cross. It wasn't until I was passing over the black and white crossing I realised a girl was crossing. It made me go cold with fright.

A complete mistake of mine. I should have paid more attention. Luckily nobody was harmed. [Blush.png] [Forgive.png]

I've just had a look on Google Maps. Look how short the zigzag lines are on one side of the crossing compared to my side.

Capture.jpg
So this is more like the view I had. Note how that side of the crossing is in shadow.

1111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

scrubadub
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 21 07:19

Post by scrubadub » Wed, 21st Feb 2018, 7:19am

Post by scrubadub by scrubadub Feb 2018 21 07:19

Sadly not uncommon in our neck of the woods. They are also going through red light on pedestrian crossings. Two of our pupils a few years back was walking with their grandmother when a driver went through a red light and killed their grandmother in front of them. the crossing is just round corner of the school. Heartbreaking to watch them two girls come to terms with it all. Also had a pupil hit on same crossing, thankfully no lasting effects. Drivers just seem to busy or have the attitude, 'not me'.

adonis
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 21 07:56

Post by adonis » Wed, 21st Feb 2018, 7:56am

Post by adonis by adonis Feb 2018 21 07:56

seanallen wrote:
Tue, 20th Feb 2018, 5:20pm
Reminds me of when I was a lad, crossing the road with my granddad who was totally blind. he always said "it only counts if they get you on a black line" never understood why and still don't! [Scared.png]
perhaps they were all black to him being blind [Blush.png]
Don't let the school tell you what your entitled to. Check it out and tell them.

skirbeck
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 21 08:56

Post by skirbeck » Wed, 21st Feb 2018, 8:56am

Post by skirbeck by skirbeck Feb 2018 21 08:56

one summer afternoon in Bostonia, the wife, myself & several other people were on a pedestrian crossing when a driver ignored the red traffic lights and shot in front of us at speed, so close I was able to hit a rear passenger window with my walking cane - much to the delight of the others on the crossing.

next day I got a message on farcebook from the passenger asking why i'd tried to break the car window!!!
I simply replied that IF I had tried break it, I WOULD have!
http://www.knightsofskirbeck.co.uk Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feb 2018 21 09:08

Post by Keyolder » Wed, 21st Feb 2018, 9:08am

Post by Keyolder by Keyolder Feb 2018 21 09:08

Glad you're ok DR, sadly that kind of thing happens all the time around here, not sure if drivers are in a rush not concentrating or on mobiles. [Neutral.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]