Nostalgia

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 17 13:03

Nostalgia

CT’s post about the BCG jab got me thinking back to good old days that were really not so good.

Thinking back, as a very young child I remember very cold winters coal fires and smog everywhere during the winter months. The house we lived in had coal fires and water had to be heated on the gas stove, and the tin bath came down from the wall every Sunday evening for bath time. The school I went to was heated by coal, the boiler room was next to the playground and I remember the coal deliveries with men covered in black coal dust carrying sacks into the coal bunker returning to their truck with the empty sacks. They often waved at us children playing in the playground, but I also remember some children being really scared of the coal men.

Milk carts were originally horse drawn but soon were electrified (poor horses), rag and bone men actually existed, yes Steptoe had a horse and cart and would shout out “old rags and lumber” as the horse clip clopped by. There also used to be a man on a three wheeled bicycle that used to sharpen knives for you. Ice cream sold from three wheeled bicycles and later ice cream vans was a luxury that we rarely could afford, so a 99 was mostly out of reach for me.

The television had 2 channels plus a radio and the black and white screen was small and almost round, but it was the height of modern living back then. One of my school friend’s dad had a movie projector, colour but no sound now that was really the height of luxury especially when ice cream was also provided. We had a mono radiogram that you could play records on or listen to the radio, I remember that filled the room with sounds that seemed luscious deep and warm. We had a fridge with a tiny ice drawer big enough only to make ice cubes, and the washing machine was a twin tub but no dryer. Monday was wash day with washing hanging up everywhere except in winter when the washing was hanging in front of the fire.

Fizzy pop in bottles or frozen orange juice in a can was beyond luxurious, the cheaper frozen jubbly was more common. Threepence on the bottle was a way of getting money for sweets gob stoppers or jamboree bags or those sweet cigarettes with collectable cards inside the packet.
I bet the withered old greys amongst us remember most or even more than above -Big grin.png-
We have moved on massively in every direction since those seemingly good bad old days I’m glad to say -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Oct 2020 17 14:05

Re: Nostalgia

The mention of the projector brought back memories of the mid 60`s, my mate had a projector 📽, and I dad an 8 mil. KODAK 3 lens cine camera 📹 and a Grundig open reel, we went to the local park to make a `Cowboy Movie`🎬 as one of the other mates had an air rifle, guess who got shot in the face ? local A&E for minor op as they could not get it out, in too deep, good ol days.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 17 14:44

inspector wrote: Sat, 17th Oct 2020, 2:05pm as one of the other mates had an air rifle, guess who got shot in the face ? local A&E for minor op as they could not get it out, in too deep, good ol days.
Ouch -Scared.png-
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 17 16:41

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 17 18:27

I was one of them Keyholder that lived every word you have written and more, each generation has said "do not let them tell you they were the good old days because they were not", i left school and worked with an old bricklayer who said the quote i mentioned and he sneaked out of work one Saturday morning got wed and rushed back to work but was caught and sacked, he used to follow brick lorries on his bike to find work and tea was had on the scaffold without stopping and outside the gate men out of work were waiting to take the place of any one they got rid of.

As a kid our bedrooms were as cold as it was outside with ice on the inside of the windows and piles of coats on the bed to keep us warmer, no electricity just gas lamps where you lit a mantel which was a gossamer like build and if you touched it with the match you easily made a hole in it and that was out of action then until the new one could be purchased. The radio was an accumulator radio and as a kid i had to take the accumulator which was basically a battery encased in thick glass and a metal carry home cage from the cycle shop where you exchanged a flat one for a fully charged one.

Good old days no and the kids today will be saying the same at my age in years to come. -Cry.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 18 15:54

Nobody will ever look back at 2020 and think "the good old days" -Wink.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 08:29

I remember the ice on the inside of the windows.
Most school mornings mum would warm the kitchen by turning on the oven and leaving the door open, I would sit in front with my feet in the oven to warm them. Always toast for breakfast from the high level grill (I think they should bring them back).

Sheets, blankets and eider down on the bed with coats if it was really cold always wore socks in bed.
Dad got paid in cash in a little brown envelope on a Friday at work, if he wasn't in (he worked shifts) I would ride in the car down to the pay office to pick it up. Friday was usually fish and chips from the chippy, a real treat because it was pay day.

Most of all I remember the freedom I had I was often out all day long on bikes with my mates but never broke the golden rule, "Always be back before the street lamps came on".
Good times.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
gregincardiff
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 09:47

How about the pig swill man.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 09:58

To quote baseball great Yogi Barra, "Nostalgis ain't what it used to be." -Crazy.png-
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 11:05

Vera wrote: Mon, 19th Oct 2020, 8:29am
Most of all I remember the freedom I had I was often out all day long on bikes with my mates but never broke the golden rule, "Always be back before the street lamps came on".
Good times.
Oh yes, I forgot about that golden rule but sadly for me I did break it a few times -Scared.png-
Friday night is still Fish and Chip night here, early weekend treat -Like.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 11:54

My Dads cousin Les used to do a milk round in Barnet with a horse and cart and ended up with an electric milk float, he preferred the horse as it would slowly trundle down the road on it`s own while he put milk bottles on the door step, much easier than climbing in and out of the milk float -Success.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 18:00

My gran told me a story about the Co-Op milkman years ago and how he got sacked. Apparently he messaged that he was sick one day and his boss had to take over and do his round. The horse knew where he was going and off they set. But, half way round, the horse stopped and refused to walk on. They had stopped outside a pub! The boss knew where the milkman went every day! For a few beers! -Scared.png-
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 19 18:00

My gran told me a story about the Co-Op milkman years ago and how he got sacked. Apparently he messaged that he was sick one day and his boss had to take over and do his round. The horse knew where he was going and off they set. But, half way round, the horse stopped and refused to walk on. They had stopped outside a pub! The boss knew where the milkman went every day! For a few beers! -Scared.png-
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 20 11:12

i remember the ice on the inside of the crittal windows and icicles hanging down from the thick red tiled window sill. the eiderdown that was always freezing to touch i trained my dog to sleep in the bed with me so could get the warmth from her. we never had heating apart from on ------ The seasonal word only permitted in December ----- day when the open fire was lit. but we always had fun as kids everything was an adventure from paying in the woods to scavenging on the local tip. might not of been so good for the adults but even with the smacks and cane i reckon my childhood was fab
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want