Proposal to allow a 5 day seasonal break to any lockdown restrictions

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 09:42

Proposal to allow a 5 day seasonal break to any lockdown restrictions

The Sun is reporting that a five day break from any lockdown, from Xmas Eve, may be put in place.

I always thought that they would have to allow a break for Xma,s otherwise too may people would have broken any restrictions to see family etc. The government must be hugely concerned that this would then reduce the likelihood of future adherence to restrictions (due to Joe Public having the collective confidence to bend rules whenever they see fit.) I think that the government realise that there is a lockdown weariness that has been hastened by the wreckless and selfish actions of those in, or close to, the government and the embarrassing attempts to justify some of them. The recent vaccination breakthroughs may fuel the public's readiness to act as they see fit.

I wondered what everyone thinks. I had imagined the government allowing 3 days from Xmas Eve but their hand has been forced by Xmas day falling on a Friday, so I can see the logic of 5 days. Do people see the benefit of giving people the 5 days in the hope that people then remain compliant for longer? I am hugely critical of the handling of the Covid-19 crisis but I must admit that I think that this would be the right way to tackle the isssues that Xmas creates.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 10:57

Re: Proposal to allow a 5 day seasonal break to any lockdown restrictions

Meh...

My thoughts are, you should stop reading the sun -Big grin.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 11:05

How much covid can be spread in five days, MILLIONS, ah humbug. -Shock.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 18 11:58

What lockdown? Are we in a lockdown? You could have fooled me. Every shop seems to think they have some kind exemption, the roads are as busy as ever - there isn't any kind of lockdown like the first time around. It seems to have been a ploy to make pubs and restaurants close.

When will they wake up and smell the coffee. It is schools going back that made the infection figures rise. The only reason the government thought we were on top of COVID was because schools have been shut since March and as soon as they went back, the figures went through the roof. I'm not blaming the schools, but kids mix with other kids (they don't know anything about social distancing) and are coming into contact with other kids on the way home. They go home, play with friends and go back to school to become infection spreaders. How many kids are spreading the virus without even knowing they have the virus, not having any symptoms. They are just super spreaders. -Zip.png-

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 18 16:36

thecaretaker wrote: Wed, 18th Nov 2020, 11:58am What lockdown? Are we in a lockdown? You could have fooled me. Every shop seems to think they have some kind exemption, the roads are as busy as ever - there isn't any kind of lockdown like the first time around. It seems to have been a ploy to make pubs and restaurants close.

When will they wake up and smell the coffee. It is schools going back that made the infection figures rise. The only reason the government thought we were on top of COVID was because schools have been shut since March and as soon as they went back, the figures went through the roof. I'm not blaming the schools, but kids mix with other kids (they don't know anything about social distancing) and are coming into contact with other kids on the way home. They go home, play with friends and go back to school to become infection spreaders. How many kids are spreading the virus without even knowing they have the virus, not having any symptoms. They are just super spreaders. -Zip.png-
Agreed. We have had 2 confirmed cases in the last 2 weeks. First was in Reception class, and the second was in a Y1/2 class. Reception due back tomorrow after their isolation period, 1/2 due back next Wednesday.

Personally I think they should close all schools around a week earlier than normal, and then go back a week or so later. At least that way, if someone does have signs around Christmas, they are less likely to spread it to others which causes a huge spike at Christmas because everyone will do what they want to anyway. You then have a week extra before sending kids back, which reduces the chances of them spreading it as soon as we reopen.

Mind you I may be thinking this from a purely selfish basis as my little one is due at the beginning of December -Big grin.png-
londonlad1939
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 19 07:11

Taz wrote: Wed, 18th Nov 2020, 4:36pm Agreed. We have had 2 confirmed cases in the last 2 weeks. First was in Reception class, and the second was in a Y1/2 class. Reception due back tomorrow after their isolation period, 1/2 due back next Wednesday.

Personally I think they should close all schools around a week earlier than normal, and then go back a week or so later. At least that way, if someone does have signs around ------ The seasonal word only permitted in December -----, they are less likely to spread it to others which causes a huge spike at ------ The seasonal word only permitted in December ----- because everyone will do what they want to anyway. You then have a week extra before sending kids back, which reduces the chances of them spreading it as soon as we reopen.

Mind you I may be thinking this from a purely selfish basis as my little one is due at the beginning of December -Big grin.png-
Congratulations on the new baby I do hope he/she sleeps well and you get some rest.
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 20 15:05

Sounds to me as if the powers that be realise that a five-day break might be the only way for the majority to cope with the idea of a lockdown, and sadly, I doubt that this current lockdown will end on December 2nd! I fear that this will roll on into the New Year, and a break where you can mingle with others indoors freely will simply boost the numbers of infections, and deaths.

I will be following the "avoid all others" policy until there is a proven, safe and effective Vaccine and looking after my own health as the muppets in central government are ignoring the advice of the medical scientists who should know what they are talking about.

What I am dreading is the annual call from a cousin who insists that I attend a post-Christmas meal where having not seen or talked to one another since the last year, he puts the telly on, finds an old black and white movie then falls asleep rather than talk and catch up. I'd much rather watch my own telly, with a decent film or whatever I've recorded, and not risk the "I'll pick you up in my microcar that is so small, and I'm so large that I spread onto half the passenger seat" so you can't escape until I'm ready to take you home rather than get a taxi so I can call it day when I can stand no more of his snoring!

Both of us and his wife are all at risk, they more than myself, and yet he'll struggle to accept my saying, "Thank you, but NO!"
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 11:57

lockdown or not people will mix at Christmas, only to be expected so I think there should be a lockdown in January keeping as much as possible (including schools and Uni's) shut until say 18th of January. This will allow the numpties who got infected while being prats at Christmas (PAC's as my other half calls them) to do their isolation bit.

While on the subject, anyone else having problems getting parents to comply with wearing face masks (and only one person to come on the premises) while dropping off or picking up? Despite test's we have a core of parents refusing, not that anyone will confront them. -Hah.png-
Lift your face to the sun, then the shadows will fall behind you.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Nov 2020 21 13:54

londonlad1939 wrote: Thu, 19th Nov 2020, 7:11am Congratulations on the new baby I do hope he/she sleeps well and you get some rest.
My first GS is due on the 25th (this month though)
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 16:05

londonlad1939 wrote: Thu, 19th Nov 2020, 7:11am Congratulations on the new baby I do hope he/she sleeps well and you get some rest.
Thanks, wife thinks he's going to make an early appearance within the next week. I say if he's as stubborn as her he'll still be there on the 2nd -Waving.png-