Big brother

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 12:01

Big brother

Not coming to the site as often as we've had a new it system installed at school that now checks people computer usage and sites they are visiting. So can only come on here when I am at home. Pain at times but couldn't help giggling when I overheard a coupe of staff moaning how on earth can they order their stuff on line now!
Lift your face to the sun, then the shadows will fall behind you.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 12:52

Re: Big brother

To be honest, I wouldn't go on here from a school computer anyway. Heaven forbid I be found to be doing anything other than what I'm being paid nothing all for.
Not that I could anyway. Obviously, my office is not worthy of being covered by the WiFi, and so I have to take my laptop to the staffroom any time I need to look anything up. If my laptop is working, that is. -Angry.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 13:05

Locked out at my old school as it said contains "Hate Material", constructive criticism would be more accurate. -Big grin.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 21 13:11

Our IT department told me about our net nanny being installed around 5 years ago, so I only visited this site on my mobile. A few members of staff were interviewed and warned by management about their online activities though?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 22 09:08

In all my years working in schools, I never used anything computer related, But you should have seen the B.Ms face when I informed her she was using the wrong platform and that the old retired B.M still had access to the schools networking!!! long story but there were some red faces!!! especially when I let the C.E.O know at a Union meeting!!!! good days, So be careful out there everyone.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 22 14:19

I can say that in both of the schools I worked in neither had any issue with logging onto to this site. I had a word with IT at the council run school and had it added to the safe list. End of the day besides the banter, the swearing and moaning about CO’s this site is first and foremost a good platform to learn and pass on information to help run the school better/safer/cheaper etc, and should be encouraged. When I started the last site managers job the prior person didn’t even have a computer as part of his role. I quickly showed that it was absolutely needed and that at least an hour a day would be spent on it running off orders and spreadsheets along with easier to use check sheets etc. Using this site was the first thing I did in the morning whilst I waited for various items of the school to turn on/warm up.
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
btrousers
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 23 09:00

I always mention this site when doing the compulsory courses to other attendees, a lot of the tutors have recommended it as well.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 23 09:47

My experience is similar to gadget300 in that I asked for the site to be accessible as it was a really useful source of information. A recent example of this was my request for help on whether the school's new fogging machine could be used on ICT kit. (Whilst I was off self-isolating the machine had been purchased so I had no prior knowledge and the machine had been primarily marketed as a pesticide spreader so the user guide was next to useless. The users of this site were kind enough to provide links to answer this.) I can understand the need to remove access to certain sites that may be inappropriate and unrelated to work but I would always make the case for a site that I thought would be useful for my work.