Does it really matter?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2021 30 14:45

Does it really matter?

We are in a pandemic. Surely at this moment in time, we have more serious things to worry about than who paid for Boris's wallpaper, that his personal mobile number was discovered in a document online available for 15 years or what he did or did not say in private about a third lockdown.

From TV interviews I've watched with people on the street, most people couldn't care less. The pandemic and economic recovery is what is important.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2021 30 14:49

Re: Does it really matter?

i dont even watch the news anymore as it seems to be all negative and just beating anybody up they can they are just bullies
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2021 30 15:43

ash70 wrote: Fri, 30th Apr 2021, 2:49pm i dont even watch the news anymore as it seems to be all negative and just beating anybody up they can they are just bullies
Pretty much this...

I stopped watching during the early stages of the pandemic as to be quite frank it was making me depressed.
I now realise that I'm actually happier not watching the news anymore!
Little bits seep through so i know roughly what's going on in the world but I don't need to be subjected to it by heavily biased News groups 24/7.

In terms of our PM no it doesn't matter who paid for the curtains but it does matter that the man running the country has some 'Tegrity.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2021 30 15:56

It is the typical news media, the pandemic is old news so every thing else no matter how small is going to be headliners, give it a few weeks and mark my words the media will be looking to dish up the dirt on HRH The Duke of Edninboruogh, they have not written much about the poor Community Support Police Officer murdered while off duty and walking her dog in broad day light but wallpaper is more important. -Angry.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
halffull
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2021 30 20:45

Agree with Vera, don't give a toss about the refurb, just be honest about it!
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 01 00:19

The man is a serial liar & he is in charge of the country. That is what matters. An old acquaintance of mine, a lifelong Tory, said the other day... "I have voted Conservative for forty years. But I will never vote for them again while Johnson is in charge". I am rather more concerned about his alleged statement that he would rather see bodies pile up in their thousands than implement another lockdown. The "Cash For Curtains" scandal shows a level of arrogance that his House Master at Eton picked up on when he said that Johnson could not understand that the rules applied to everyone including him. The statement attributed to him by three Downing Street sources indicates a callous disregard for human life & an abnegation of the first duty of any government which is to safeguard the public.
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 01 09:54

thecaretaker wrote: Fri, 30th Apr 2021, 2:45pm We are in a pandemic. Surely at this moment in time, we have more serious things to worry about than who paid for Boris's wallpaper, that his personal mobile number was discovered in a document online available for 15 years or what he did or did not say in private about a third lockdown.

From TV interviews I've watched with people on the street, most people couldn't care less. The pandemic and economic recovery is what is important.
Whilst the TV news has been over the top like they are about most things these days I feel it is important to know if someone handed over a very large sum of money to pay for refurbishments on top of the £30000 allowance he would have got, like most people I would not give away money unless I got something back in return - Tongue in cheek here perhaps it is some Oil Baron who wants EV's to pay road tax of £500 per annum to save his business.. And if the pandemic is being used as an opportunity for dodgy deals surely that is even more of a reason to look in to this and perhaps other underhanded issues that have gone on...(Groan over -Fever.png- -Big grin.png- )
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2021 01 11:48

It's not as if it is HIS flat/property it's owned by the government = us, it's not like he can sell it at the end of his tenure.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 01 22:27

Boris Johnson did not exactly have a spotless track record before becoming Prime Minister so I am not sure why there seems to be such a shock to the media over this. However, considering the vast amount of money given away in untendered contracts since covid began, PPE ordered that was unfit for purpose etc. this seems a bit like a smokescreen. It doesn't exactly speak highly of him that he does not even seem to be in control over his own household or its finances.

Also, maybe it is not something the public in general really care about, but that is happening everywhere. All the time there are stories about hospital bosses, chief constables, head teachers etc. who focus their efforts (and a lot of public money) on their own agendas that a lot of people would disagree with.
Breezeblock
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 01 22:59

It matters to me matey, and the wider implications of a Tory government in its eleventh year should matter very much indeed to the vast majority of caretakers who are local government workers and looking at yet another pay freeze this year....
We will never see progressive change until people stop believing what they read in newspapers
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 02 07:52

Its not the refurb thats the issue, the issue is that you can't trust a word he says He can be very amusing, and there's no denying a well concealed intelligence in the man, but if you cant believe him on this, and he's saying things in private at odds with what he's saying in public, then denying it, then how can we believe a word he says. Boris says what suits Boris at any particular moment, and I certainly wouldn't want him as my HT.

I'm now one of those people who really doesn't know who to vote for, and the only reason I do vote is to keep the extremists out.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 02 16:38

I see that the Sunday Times is running a story that Johnson tried to get Tory donors to cover the cost of his & Carrie Symonds baby`s nanny.
redfern63
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 02 20:54

Where as I agree that there is a great deal of hurt and worries in the world we should still not be complacent about who governs us.
There are no free rides and if his apartment has been paid for there will be a higher price to be paid later down the line with contracts offered. We live in a society where it seems people in charge had out contracts to friends and relatives.
There should always be a system of checks and balances in the world.
I was amazed that it is stated that he paid the money back and the cost has come out of his own pocket. Why did , with the money he has, have to have someone else pay it for him then he pays them back. The man is loaded and should need a short term loan for that sort of project.
Don’t forgets the saying goes. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing“
NGJOBS
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 09:29

More importantly....who is H!!
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 09:55

redfern63 wrote: Sun, 2nd May 2021, 8:54pm Where as I agree that there is a great deal of hurt and worries in the world we should still not be complacent about who governs us.“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing“
-Like.png-