Does it really matter?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2021 03 10:07

Re: Does it really matter?

But does any politician ever tell you anything?, whilst not a supporter of the people interviewing (anybody) you can never get a straight answer to any questions
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 22:30

How do you know if a politician is lieing?

Their lips move.

All as bad as one another, but how this bumbling baboon got into power I don't know.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2021 03 23:08

Apparently (according to the newspapers), Nicola Sturgeon was on Good Morning Britain. She was rambling on about Scottish Independence as usual and said Scotland would do better by rejoining the EU. The interviewer said "Are you sure about that"? I don't think you would have 2.8 million people vaccinated against COVID-19 if you were part of the EU. You'd have to wait in the the queue.

Which made me think, despite everything, Boris did get us out of the EU (BREXIT) and you can't deny the UK have done far better than most other countries with regards to organising and vaccinating the population. OK, there have been mistakes along the way (I don't think that would be any different whatever party was in control) and maybe there were some hasty decisions when it came to obtaining PPE & ventilators etc in the early days, but far better that than have to wait weeks/months while we went through the tender process.

When we left the EU, no government had actually ruled this country for years. Politicians just rubber stamped the rules/directives bestowed upon us by Brussels. I made the comment that when we come out of the EU, the government had better toughen up (but not in those actual words). Our first unforeseen challenge was not the economy, but COVID and I don't think we have done too badly compared to other countries. We have certainly managed it better than the EU has.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 23:31

The vaccination program is one thing in Boris's favour as there were not many people in government and especially the opposition who didn't want to join the EU's scheme and we would probably now be desperately trying to buy the Russian or Chinese vaccine like other European countries (our rate is 11 times the lowest countries in the EU.

As always you can be puzzled and question how the current PM got to power but then you look at the alternatives and shudder even harder. Most of the ones who are supposedly squeaky clean have put in expense claims that they probably don't want anyone to talk about. I am at least grateful that I don't have to listen to Nicola Sturgeon who has been in power since 2014 and still only seems to have 1 policy. In my opinion our government is not up to much partly because I can't remember the last time we actually had an effective opposition in the UK, you could be forgiven for thinking that Labour never want to get back into power with the amount of effort they seem to put in to make themselves unelectable.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 07:52

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 3rd May 2021, 11:08pm Apparently (according to the newspapers), Nicola Sturgeon was on Good Morning Britain. She was rambling on about Scottish Independence as usual and said Scotland would do better by rejoining the EU. The interviewer said "Are you sure about that"? I don't think you would have 2.8 million people vaccinated against COVID-19 if you were part of the EU. You'd have to wait in the the queue.

How did she respond to that?
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 09:04

I think it is unlikely that many people enter politics to represent people, it has been my experience that politics is a stepping stone, or a parallel career move centered around the business, financial or power interests of the Politician.

Ethical behaviour is not championed by many Politicians either, I don't mean their morality so much as the rule breaking ( their own rules) and the consequence of such rule breaking.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 09:24

The countries that subscribed to the EU's vaccine strategy were at liberty to do their own thing. So, even if we had been in the EU we could still have backed all the horses that the UK government did. The UK should be applauded for its own purchasing strategy and for having the foresight to appreciate that the cost of it would be repaid many times over in terms of early resumption of economic output.

Going back to BoJo's integrity. It does matter. He was chosen by the 1922 Committee (The organ grinders) because of his popularity making him electable. They ignored his suitability because they wanted power.

In office, he has told obvious lies and told others to do it. (ie regarding "Demonic" Cummings with the absurd justifications offered by the cabinet members. He has broken promises to the people of Northern Ireland. He threatened not to honour the Brexit agreement with the EU before Brexit was achieved. He has wanted to use Tory donors to finance his flat decor and nanny arrangements. And then there is the scandal of the award of the PPE contracts (and why the stocks of PPE were allowed to be used despite their being there for such an eventuality.

If our heads, or ourselves, had behaved in a similar way (albeit on a smaller scale). We would find ourselves out of a job with a likelihood of not getting a similar position elsewhere. The declaration of personal gifts should be made as they happen so it is transparent for all. Promising to make a declaration after being caught out is not acceptable for the leader of the government.

The absurdity is that none of us would even be in post if we had been sacked twice before for dishonesty like BoJo has (from journalist posts.)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 13:32

thumbnail_.facebook_1620130193157_6795318549683336523.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 13:41

Like it Nigel -Big grin.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2021 04 18:54

Nail wrote: Tue, 4th May 2021, 7:52am How did she respond to that?
It says she squirmed in the article I read. Can't find it now, But this article says she was shamed by Sean Fletcher on Good Morning Britain: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-ra ... -GMB-video

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)