Well, pat on the back and thank you snow

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 29 10:14

Well, pat on the back and thank you snow

us up north had a fair bit of snow over the weekend about 6inch deep around school. I did a couple of hours Sunday then out at 6 this morning to start digging again only me its a big school at the top hill cops for bad snow every time. The head rocked up 8.30 ish what time did you start this morning 6 after a few hours yesterday. not so much as a kiss my backside just its a bit slippery on the main path down then walked away. the deputy the same just point out what was missed or not got to yet not a thanks in sight . so on behalf of the caretakers out there that worked your socks off this morning thank you we keep the wheels turning [Like.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 29 11:26

Re: Well, pat on the back and thank you snow

Fortunately I just had to grit as we just had a very cod evening/morning.

I gave up expecting thanks years ago, but I pity the person that points out I've missed a bit...
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 29 11:57

About 3 inches of snow here. Got in a bit earlier, unlocked the school then fired up the leaf blower about 7am, cleared and gritted the main paths into school about 150m by 7:40, this used to take me a good hour and a half shovelling snow before I started to use the blower. All paths around school including Foundation and Nursery playgrounds cleared and gritted by 8:30, probably 350m - 400m in total. Absolutely no thanks at all. Hey-ho its all part of the service.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 29 12:49

Had a similar one years back. Head turns up late Sunday afternoon. 'Thought I'd come & give you a hand,but see you have already done it'
So as others have said, don't expect any thanks.
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 29 13:17

No water in the kitchen this morning, Ice, frozen locks, and the Head was moaning that the milk had gone off in the staff room fridge [Big grin.png]
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 29 17:17

We had a bit of snow here. Most of it had melted by the morning but the tarmac was very icy around the site. As you can imagine I prioritised gritting the paths and car park first and there were staff coming up to me, one after another, to tell me about ice at the back of the playground. "I'm working my way around to that." Grrrrr... [Gobsmacked.png]
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 29 18:57

I am now retired and left after a massive argument with the BM who was my boss, BUT, our HT was always in early at about 7.30 am and i would get in at about 6am to start clearing snow, started at where the buses with tail lifts dropped off our wheel chair children, we were a SEND school and then started to clear the main path into school.

The HT would be out shovelling snow in the main car park and as each member of staff came in they had to help clear snow, car driving staff would park up in a clear bay and then have to clear the bay next to them and this was repeated until all bays were cleared. Even the road outside the gates was cleared of snow to stop staff and parents but especially our bused in transport from skidding as it was a downhill drive then turn sharp right into the school.

TEAM WORK which a lot of schools unfortunately lack or do not understand the words TEAM WORK. [Angry.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 29 22:11

EBJ wrote: Mon, 29th Nov 2021, 6:57pm ...TEAM WORK which a lot of schools unfortunately lack or do not understand the words TEAM WORK. -Mad.png-
It's team work that makes the dream work! [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2021 29 23:21

And there is no i in the word team!!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 30 00:30

Best to text your bosses if you come in early or the day before to clear stuff like snow, then at least they know and are prepared with that info when they turn up and the works been done, if they dont show appreciation, you should give them a sarky email and lay it on thicker than the inches of snow you sweated off the paths.
Ungrateful morons.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower