Ridiculous requests

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 11 12:15

Ridiculous requests

What are the most ridiculous requests you've ever had in your time as a caretaker? Stuff that is completely out of your pay grade or comfort zone.

Was just thinking about the time I was asked by a teacher (unfortunately, one of my favourite teachers) if I would be able to build a mezzanine balcony in her classroom as a reading area.

You wha...!?? Aside from not getting builders wages, the idea of building a raised floor area tall enough for people to walk under and strong enough to hold half a class of kids.... even thinking of it now I just can't believe she (and the HT and DH!!) thought that was something I would say "oh yeah, easy peasy. I'll do that in my lunch break!".
I'm sure they wouldn't have taken the blame if it'd collapsed...... obviously, it wouldn't [Wink.png], but that's not the point!

Goes to show how even the best teachers have their head in the clouds.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jan 2022 11 12:59

Re: Ridiculous requests

CO was moving rooms, didn`t want to take down the display on her pinboard so could we remove the board from the wall and put it up in her new room, NO [Shock.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2022 11 13:08

Once had a CO send a pupil to my office because he had dog dirt on his shoe and he said that he was told to tell me that it was my job as Caretaker to clean his shoe, he was sent back to class with a still dirty shoe
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 11 13:49

Nigel wrote: Tue, 11th Jan 2022, 12:59pm CO was moving rooms, didn`t want to take down the display on her pinboard so could we remove the board from the wall and put it up in her new room, NO [Shock.png]
[Blush.png]

I have actually done that a few times. I just say "You know it's going to have loads of holes in it once it's moved don't you, so you'll practically have to redo it anyway". I used to actually enjoy putting the sundeala boards up. Coming up with new ways of putting up a full sheet on my own.
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 11 14:09

I've had 2 equally ridiculous

When we came back to school last week my HT asked to go out and clear all the goose --- censored word --- off of the field, I thought she was joking at first but she really meant it, I told her there wasn't enough time in the week let alone 1 day to that, we can easily have over 100 geese on the field during term time, you can double that in the holidays, if you consider that a single goose poops on average every 11 minutes I'll let you do the math of 100 to 200 geese crapping for 2 weeks. I didn't clear up any --- censored word ---.

2nd was this morning, got a call from HT at 7.30 saying a teacher has reported hearing noises under the floor in her classroom in one of our modular buildings and could I get one of my dogs and put it under there to chase out whatever was causing the noise, I asked if she would cover any vet bills for injuries sustained by A. being under there and B. the animal causing the noise, im 99% sure it's foxes getting ready to have cubs in spring. Add to this the fact that last year I was told to stop walking my dogs on the field after a neighbour complained that she sees me walking my dogs on the field all the time after she was told off for her dog getting o to the field at lunchtime while the kids were outside.
unkiefest
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 11 15:01

I think we should write a book with all the silly requests [Big grin.png] .

Today i had a good one .

A little princess of a teacher that spends all her wages on hair, nails and makeup drove to the front door. Nothing weird your saying wait for it, "as its raining i dont want to get my hair wet" . She gets out of her car tries to pass me her car keys to park her car in the carpark. As i just walked away she shouts "excuse me i was talking to you dont you walk away from me".
nil satis nisi optimum -Like.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Jan 2022 11 15:17

unkiefest wrote: Tue, 11th Jan 2022, 3:01pm I think we should write a book with all the silly requests [Big grin.png] .

Today i had a good one .

A little princess of a teacher that spends all her wages on hair, nails and makeup drove to the front door. Nothing weird your saying wait for it, "as its raining i dont want to get my hair wet" . She gets out of her car tries to pass me her car keys to park her car in the carpark. As i just walked away she shouts "excuse me i was talking to you dont you walk away from me".
My reply to that would have got me sacked [Scared.png] of course you could have parked her car but hit a few posts/kerbs on the way [Success.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
londonlad1939
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 11 15:23

A senior member of staff once called me to let me know that there was a banana skin on the floor by the staircase, Oh ok so where abouts are you now, I'm standing next to it on the staircase [Shock.png] by the time youve called me you could have just picked it up.
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 11 15:29

i was once asked by the first bursar when i first started to put a new toilet roll on the holder while she was sat on the toilet
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
untyull
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2022 11 15:45

when you get a minute, can you. Sorry but far to many numerous stupid requests from these inteligent people.
But fave is. Do you think you could do a litter pick. But Miss if everybody did what I do in a morning it would be ace. I look for 5 pieces and pick them up and put them in the bin. I am not doing that. Pretend its 5 pound notes, now go pick up that 25 quid.
LIVING THE DREAM