Did not think it would be long.

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

unkiefest
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 17 06:42

Did not think it would be long.

So after 9 years of me and another sitestaff being in a cupboard under the stairs we got a converted container as an office/workshop. The container has 4 windows led lighting and aircon fitted so it was very nice from the cupboard. We moved in last summer and had almost a year using it and we were both very happy.

Guess where this is going cant you [Angry.png]

Just been told we are now loosing the container and we are now being dumped into a smaller cupboard. The PE Dept are now having the container as an office after we did all the hard work .

I wonder how many times that aircon unit is going to trip out [Like.png]
nil satis nisi optimum -Like.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 17 09:45

Re: Did not think it would be long.

That is not good, i also had a walk in cupboard and back out of job with a blank wall to one side and shelving to the other and the far end wall was a butler sink and water heater, clearly built as a cleaners cupboard in it's day not for a caretaker.

Did have a corner of a large garage in the main car park but my space got smaller and smaller, i now see that has been demolished, i also had a large walk in cupboard in the pool building but lost that and ended up with a yellow cabinet next to the pool.

I used to store the big equipment in the boiler house, not a good idea but had no other choice, but a lot of caretakers onhere are well looked after as far as there own office and store's are concerned they even have a phone, filling cabinets a desk/seat and there own tea/coffe making facilities. [Shock.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
seedfut06
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 17 09:53

Amazing that. Had usual walk round with hm and get the threat we expect your office/workshop/cleaner store/paint shed/chemical store(locked cabinets)/sationary store /restroom to be kept clean and clear in case your off. This happens regularly. One school i was at we lost three places in quick sucession. Bottom of list for our amenities but the uppers need their amenties spotless.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 17 09:58

This is all too familiar..
At a previous high school..
We had a small office with not enough space for the caretakers to work at the same time so it was decided that if there was a screen on the wall with the call log system displayed then we could all look at the screen to see jobs to be done (instead of logging into a computer somewhere and looking at the jobs individually) it worked really well and stopped some of the two people to one job problems from happening as we all started from the same office and the boss could organise, it is also where the tools were so we could look collect the tools and go. The IT department found us a screen from another trust site where it had been stored in a box for 12 months.

2 days later head came in saying that we had to take it down immediately as it was "needed" in the meeting room and could we leave the screen that was in there and put this one up as well.. I guess that the 2 monthly meetings that the room was used for every month they really needed to have two screens for the handful of people to look at.... [Angry.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 18 08:08

when i started i was in the junior school and i had a cupboard you could barely turn round in let along store any thing in, so was given a cupboard under the stair as well. then the refurb of the infants was done and the junior sold off for houses, i moved into another cupboard smaller than the one i had and was expected to house five hoovers, buffer, cleaning buckets etc when you couldn't even get a hoover in there. kicked off and got another cupboard as well as cleaner room.then new head and moved to a bigger cupboard and housed every thing ( fab cupboard) then a year or so moved to a disable toilet with the loo still there - dark days [hah.png]. then new head again and i now have my own room with a window and a cleaning cupboard. but still not enough storage. which is quite funny as i'm always being told to get rid of anything i don't need or use. but then when the others schools ( we are part of five schools ) need anything they always ask me as the know i will probably have it. [Like.png].
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 18 14:31

When I started, I was Harry Potter with the usual cupboard under the stairs. Simply told them that it was the back of an heater and I couldn't work in it. Devised a plan, during some works I asked for a shed for the PE equipment, I prepared the ground, took the PE store room and had a small walkthrough from a small cupboard (interestingly was the original caretaker cupboard). I now have a small office, storage space, small workshop, cleaning cupboards, garage and a few hiding places for stock. I even have a loft space if I so desire. Maybe I'm lucky that they do understand here.
cusodave
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
May 2022 18 16:06

This was a new build when i started 7 years ago, i had 2 cleaners cupboards ( 1 up , 1 down) and a store cupboard on the ground floor. As most of the school was unused i nabbed an unused air conditioned office upstairs and made it my own. 7 years on , ive still got the same spaces, plus a couple of sheds and 2 30 foot containers in the staff car park. Thankfully i dont need to store anything in the plantroom. [Like.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2022 19 09:43

How are you guys supposed to work/repair things without an adequate base of operations. If my school ever took my workshop away. it would spell the end of so many things i do.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]