What did you want to be?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 14:33

Re: What did you want to be?

Went all though school wanting to be a Firefighter, but when time came to apply my eyesight wasn't good enough.
Andrew
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 14:40

I wanted to be a sailor and in fact was in the Royal Navy Reserve but when I went for the medical I was having a problem with my knee and that was the end of that.
Valar Morghulis
Stay Safe, Stay Daft...
Embrace The Chaos
Football Is Life.... Dani Rojas
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 08 14:53

I always wanted to be in the Army.
Did that for over 10 years with 3 tours with the UN, and several other operations.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2024 08 17:44

jholden wrote: 8th Apr 2024 at 2:33pm Went all though school wanting to be a Firefighter, but when time came to apply my eyesight wasn't good enough.
I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left School. I had a Carers meeting before leaving school and they gave me a COLOUR BLIND TEST. I failed it and left the meeting with a very long list of occupations I wouldn't be able to do. Very helpful in those days. I'm sure these days they would give you a list of what jobs you could do.

I went into catering due to an uncle who was a training instructor in the Army catering corps.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 21:23

It is one of my regrets that i didn't make any plan for a future job, i started off as a trainee storekeeper in a furniture factory and eventually stayed in that job for 5 years until redundancy and then my 41 years a a caretaker. If i could go back in time i would join the police
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 08 21:33

I always wanted to be an aircraft engineer. Left school and applied for an apprenticeship with Easy Jet at Luton airport.
Was offered a place on the following year’s intake so just needed to wait.

Got a job in the meantime and when it come to starting I was already earning double what I would have doing the apprenticeship so differed my place. Never contacted them back.

It’s still my biggest life regret, still kick myself thinking what could have been….
Hey ho, here we are [Scared.png]
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 09 12:28

When I was a child the circus came to town. The bright lights, colourful tents and stalls, star spangled ladies, exotic animals, and the smells of the sawdust and greasepaint. It was then I knew what I wanted to be.....
.....a sea lion.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 09 13:29

I never knew what I actually wanted to be. I remember having those meetings with the career advisors back in 98/99. As a child I was forever taking things apart to reverse engineer how they worked, what could a point of failure and what improvements could be made.

I went onto complete a NVQ in light vehicle mechanics and electronic systems. Ended up being a caretaker via the LA at an unusually young age. Now Estate Manager for a MAT and loving the challenges each day throws and overcoming them with logic and reason [Big grin.png] just wish the remuneration matched the responsibility.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 10 11:39

as a child I didn't really have ambitions on what I wanted to do as a future career I was more focused on having fun playing football and being a general nuisance...but as was always interested and involved in combat sports and for a period of time ran my own little MMA gym which was a great period in my life mentally, physically and financially getting to do something you love with such passion with people who you considered friends and make money was just an absolute blast while it lasted.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 10 15:00

When I was at secondary school I really enjoyed PE and wanted to become a physio and work for the might Crystal Palace Football club but that didn't happen.

I was probably destined to work as a school caretaker as my mum used to work in a school as a BM and I used to get pocket money to go in and help the caretaker at my mums school.