What did you want to be?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 08 08:21

What did you want to be?

When I was a child I always wanted to work in Gardening. And on leaving I went onto become a Landscape gardener until the firm closed down. Then moved onto other areas of work. Did you follow your ambition when a child growing up.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 08 09:13

Re: What did you want to be?

I wanted to be a journalist as a child. I wanted to be a cricket correspondent. Sitting in the sun all day watching cricket. Then in the winter, off to the West Indies or Australia. So ... I ended up as a school caretaker for 35 years
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 09:15

i always wanted to be a police officer, but my eyesight (without glasses) wasn't good enough
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 08 09:17

As a child I never really had any dreams of future careers, other than being happy in whatever I do. And now apart from obvious age-related indicators, I’m still a happy child with few regrets.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 09:51

Just to get our of school and start earning money, choosing a carer came later with the army and police force then into security management.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Sitesupervisor
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 09:58

I always wanted to be a fireman, when I left school. I went for a YTS interview for a job that I thought was for builders . It turned out to be farming so I said what the hell try that, did it for 10 years.

Then start a career as a caretaker /site supervisor/ 30 years next year.How time flys
Instagram keithcaretaker
MrMatt
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 11:04

I always wanted to be a fireman. I stayed on in school sixth form so I was at the right age when I left to apply for the fire service. I got an interview and was invited back for the fitness test. Two days before the fitness test I dislocated my ankle, tore ligaments and stretched my hamstring (all one incident) playing rugby. I wasn't supposed to be weight bearing at all but I took a load of painkillers and walked as normally as possible, I'm sure the fitness instructor knew straight off, as he sent everyone else off for a run and asked me to carry him up a ladder.......I couldn't do it. I explained what had happened and was told to apply next year. The next year coincided with the armed forces streamlining so I was up against ex-forces personnel and I didn't even get an interview. I enquired why and as I thought, the ex-service personnel were fit, trained and disciplined already so they got all the jobs. I went into adult care, hospital work, then into social services until being made redundant 8 years ago. I wanted/needed a change so here I am as site manager of a primary school and despite my moans......I love it.
'Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions' - Haruki Murakami.
silleyanimal
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 08 11:21

Was football mad. Wanted to be a pro. Got to semi pro in non league. Injuries put any more progress to bed. Still play 5 a side now every week. Me bones creek every morning after lol. But enjoy it [Thumb_up.png]
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 08 11:35

Barry-Sheene-hp-GQ-15May17_rex_b (1).jpg

Unfortunately haven`t got the talent [hah.png]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 08 11:55

I wanted to be......A Lumberjack! (I had to throw that in there!)

No seriously, like Keyolder, I never really had my sights on anything. In school I studied archeture and mechanical engineering but went in the military instead after a 2 year break hitch hiking around the country.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)